Menu

Questions about Singapore NEM, DM, NAM and CM...

We are currently using Singapore Primary Mathematics, and ds10 is doing great. We will move into level 5 next year and then onto 6th.

As we approach middle school and highschool, I have been looking at algebra, geometry and so forth. DS is a 'mathy' kid, and gets the hows and whys, and wants to know more!

With all of that said, can someone explain the major differences of these Singapore Math Programs???

New Elementary Math

Discovering Math

New Additional Math

College Math

I know that College Math is taken after NEM, DM, or NAM... and it recommends completing NAM.

What are the differences in NEM, DM and NAM? Is one series more challenging/difficult?

:bigear: :bigear: :bigear: Thanks!

Edited by butterfly113

So I can't compare it directly to DM, but generally speaking I've heard that NEM is considered more challenging, but also harder to teach, especially if you don't have a math background yourself. We've not had any trouble with it ourselves (I do have a math background), but that's what I've heard.

NAM is generally done concurrently with NEM 4, I think, as a supplement to prepare for College Math. I think (not having use it myself, so take this with a grain of salt), that NAM beefs up the NEM sequence to take it to a more thorough Precalculus level. College Math gets into Calculus, although I'm not sure how it compares to other textbooks in scope and sequence.

We're finishing NEM 2 this year and planning to do NEM 3 next year, but we're going to start making a transition to Art of Problem Solving classes online. I don't think there's anything wrong with continuing with Singapore, but I'm ready for DS to have an outside teacher and group discussion for math, and the broader choice of topics that AoPS offers.

Erica,

we seem to be heading the same way!

We're finishing up Nem 1, will do Nem 2, but I can see us going with Art of Problem Solving too!

My son does not need me to teach anything in NEM, although we sometimes have discussions about the challenging problems. We do them at the same table, and race each other. By now, we know from the start who wins what kind of problems ;-)

Art of Problem Solving is just so tempting...

We've used NEM 1 but my daughter didn't like the way new material is explained. We'll be switching to Discovering Math 2 soon and using the supplemental extra problem books when they are available.

The administrator of the forum at singaporemath.com. is available to answer questions.

Ann

edited to add that DM is suppose to be very similar to the PM series.

Edited by emzhengjiu

New Elementary Math

Discovering Math

New Additional Math

College Math

My understanding is (based on reading and asking some questions on the singaporemath forums, not on use):

NEM is the most challenging, it will introduce a concept, have a few practice problems and then quickly start having the child apply concepts to new situations. That is more difficult, but demonstrates that the child really understands the concepts. The big down side for me, was that there are only answer keys for the first two books, and none planned for the other two because they are not cost effective to produce.

DM is next in the line of how challenging the programs are. A mother who had bought NEM, DM and NSM said that NEM made logical leaps at times, that DM and NSM both take the time to explain. It also spends more time on practice problems before moving into the challenging work. For me a big plus is that there are fully worked answer keys produced by the author of the program.

NSM and NAM I didn't look into much. I do know that both are less challenging than DM, having more practice problems and less challenging ones.

I am a math person, but my kids aren't. I don't think they have what it takes to get through NEM, well and not hate math. DM is what I plan to use.

Heather