Menu

Online Compupter Programming Classes

The best laid plans...I was planning on signing ds up for Potter's School Visual Basic next year. They are not offering it. :crying::banghead::crying:

Does anyone have any experience with any of these options?

The Potter's School

particularly Rich Yonts for Java

Home Grown Programmers

Scholar's Online

Giant Campus

Derek Otieno?

I would prefer a class with a live instructor meeting at least weekly. Although with the restriction that it has to be EST am, I would probably be open to something more flexible but with a live instructor.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

The best laid plans...I was planning on signing ds up for Potter's School Visual Basic next year. They are not offering it. :crying::banghead::crying:

Does anyone have any experience with any of these options?

The Potter's School

particularly Rich Yonts for Java

I'm in a similar boat -- we were planning for my son to take Java with Mr Yonts, but the class is at 6:45 a.m. our time -- just not going to work for us. I looked into JHU CTY's Java class, but it's very expensive, and like you, we want an interactive class. I think we're going to try Home Grown Programmers, based on someone's post here a year or so ago. I too would love to hear from someone who has actually used HGP, but for $150 and seeing as there are no other feasible options, we'll go for it even if I don't hear from anyone.

But Sue, did you know that Mr Madison, who usually teaches Visual Basic for Potter's (I don't know why they're not offering it this year -- you could email him and ask), runs summer classes? If that works for you it may be a nice option:

http://www.mrmadison.org/

My son took a summer class in Python last year from another 'moonlighting' Potter's teacher, Mr Connor, and loved it.

~Laura

ETA: Oh, ha - I see Mr Madison has Java too. Maybe my son will do that!!

Edited by Laura in CA

I'm in a similar boat -- we were planning for my son to take Java with Mr Yonts, but the class is at 6:45 a.m. our time -- just not going to work for us. I looked into JHU CTY's Java class, but it's very expensive, and like you, we want an interactive class. I think we're going to try Home Grown Programmers, based on someone's post here a year or so ago. I too would love to hear from someone who has actually used HGP, but for $150 and seeing as there are no other feasible options, we'll go for it even if I don't hear from anyone.

But Sue, did you know that Mr Madison, who usually teaches Visual Basic for Potter's (I don't know why they're not offering it this year -- you could email him and ask), runs summer classes? If that works for you it may be a nice option:

http://www.mrmadison.org/

My son took a summer class in Python last year from another 'moonlighting' Potter's teacher, Mr Connor, and loved it.

~Laura

ETA: Oh, ha - I see Mr Madison has Java too. Maybe my son will do that!!

Hi Laura,

First, THANK YOU for posting!

We used to school year round, but found that around 6th grade, we both really needed a break. I think I would have a revolt on my hands if I tried to get ds to take a summer class. However, I will broach the subject.

THANK YOU for the info on Mr. Madison's website. How interesting. I actually emailed him asking for advice. Maybe I'll try emailing Mr. Connor as well. How did your son like his class?

I appreciate your taking the time to post. Ds just might wind up in that Java class with Mr. Yonts. 9:45am EST is good for us.

Our experience with GC was just for a week-class, two classes, two teachers. It was a live class, for 2hrs with the instructor guiding the boys through the programming. (DS "the one instructor ran through things way too fast and the other went way too slow. And one week was way too short") They then had assignments to work on prior to the next class. Both weeks they took class it was either very hot or very rainy here which was good. The boys wanted to stay inside and work on their programs. I'm considering using them for this coming year but haven't even looked over what they might have. Last year it was not an option---they didn't offer their classes to folks outside WA.

Carole

First, THANK YOU for posting!

I'm happy to help! And it was by digging up Mr Madison's website that I saw he had Java this summer, too -- which I've been looking for!

We used to school year round, but found that around 6th grade, we both really needed a break. I think I would have a revolt on my hands if I tried to get ds to take a summer class. However, I will broach the subject.

Same here -- and in fact I see that Mr Madison's Java class is *3* mornings a week (maybe he's packing a year's course into the summer?) -- more than my son will want, I think!

THANK YOU for the info on Mr. Madison's website. How interesting. I actually emailed him asking for advice. Maybe I'll try emailing Mr. Connor as well. How did your son like his class?

Mr Connor is a great guy! He's a relatively new teacher, so he's still figuring out how to pace his classes, but he's very helpful, funny, has a good rapport with the students, etc. My son liked the first year of web design with Mr Connor so much last year that he's taking second-year web design this year. My son likes him very much. Oh, and he took Python with Mr Connor last summer (a once-a-week class!).

I appreciate your taking the time to post. Ds just might wind up in that Java class with Mr. Yonts. 9:45am EST is good for us.

I've heard good things about Mr Yonts, too. I've been corresponding with him and he always writes back right away. (I wanted to see if there was any chance of another section of Java -- 6:45 am is too early for us!! -- but there isn't, because of his work schedule.)

I'm pleased this info might have been helpful! We love the Potter's programming classes, and are bummed the Java time doesn't work for us. Well, if we end up using Home Grown Programmers I will report back how it is!

~Laura

and now we are scrambling for something that will work. My ds wanted Java, but has an outside class already at that time on Mondays, so he can't take Java with TPS. I am not too excited about a summer class, especially with a three day/week committment. But, my ds wants to take the Java course over the summer and then take the Python course next fall with TPS....do you think that is too much?? Are the two languages close enough that he should only take one?

Thanks for this thread! It came at just the right time:001_smile:

But, my ds wants to take the Java course over the summer and then take the Python course next fall with TPS....do you think that is too much?? Are the two languages close enough that he should only take one?

I don't know if it will be 'too much' in terms of time, but to answer your second question, my son (who has studied both languages, at least at the intro/intermediate level) says that Java & Python are very different, both syntactically and in terms of capabilities (what functions they perform). He doesn't think your son will have a problem with taking both back to back.

~Laura

Mr Connor gives a short 'homily' at the beginning of each class, at least in Web Design II. (I don't remember this in Web Design I -- perhaps he had more material to cover, or perhaps it's something he's added this year.) My son enjoys these, but YMMV. This depends on the teacher, also. (Mr Gray just had a prayer to start class, and maybe a brief mention of something he learned in church the previous week. I don't know about Mr Madison.)

~Laura

Laura, where did Mr. Conner teach the Python class last summer?

My ds is big into Python right now and I'm thinking of signing him up for the fall at Potter's, but a summer course might be even more attractive for our schedule.

Handmaiden, the info about Mr Connor's summer classes will be here:

http://mrconnor.com/

For now it still has last year's classes listed. I can't remember what he's offering this summer (my son knows, but he's in bed ;-)

It may not be Python this summer. I'll try to remember to ask my son tomorrow. You could always email Mr Connor and ask -- it's based on having enough demand, too, so it might help if he knew Python was wanted.

ETA: My son says that Mr Connor's summer class this year will be Game Design with Python and PyGame.

The prices for his summer classes are much higher than for regular Potter's classes, but it was worth it for us to have the learning opportunity over the summer.

~Laura

Edited by Laura in CA
New info

• 2 weeks later...

Great Thread Sue!

I'm considering a computer programming course for dd (14 yo - 9th grade). What would be good first course for someone with no programming experience (she's very familiar w/word, excell, powerpoint)... should VB be taken first? Then Python, C++/Java, then web design?

I was first going to have dd do this http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocHomeSchool.htm. But, TPS would be soo much easier (more expensive of course)... but easier for me! LOL

Thanks so much for clarifying!

Sangita

Great Thread Sue!

I'm considering a computer programming course for dd (14 yo - 9th grade). What would be good first course for someone with no programming experience (she's very familiar w/word, excell, powerpoint)... should VB be taken first? Then Python, C++/Java, then web design?

I was first going to have dd do this http://www.dickbaldwin.com/tocHomeSchool.htm. But, TPS would be soo much easier (more expensive of course)... but easier for me! LOL

Thanks so much for clarifying!

Sangita

I discussed what the ideal high school progression would be with 2 different AP CS teachers. They both said:

web design

java

AP CS

Word, Excel, Powerpoint are good before web design, but not necessary.

So, the web design classes I'm finding are late afternoon or evening (not gonna work here). We're going with Java. The Java teacher said he likes Java first. Email me and I'll forward you my correspondence with him.

P.S. Python seems to get similar reviews to Java. C++ seems to be more difficult than Java. Most recommend Java, then C++.

P.P.S. Initially, I wanted VB, but TPS VB is now geared for JH, which I don't want. Also, the Java teacher said it's better to learn programming without the bells and whistles of VISUAL stuff. At least that's how I interpreted his preference.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

Sue,

I PM'ed you regarding the email - thanks for sharing.

Also, you said web design first. Does the email say why that first. I would think Java or Python might be an easier first class than web design... but, I have know first hand knowledge of that... so I'm just speaking without much experience.. LOL... it just sounds more complicated.. ha

Take care,

Sangita

Sue,

I PM'ed you regarding the email - thanks for sharing.

Also, you said web design first. Does the email say why that first. I would think Java or Python might be an easier first class than web design... but, I have know first hand knowledge of that... so I'm just speaking without much experience.. LOL... it just sounds more complicated.. ha

Take care,

Sangita

I am a programmer by trade and have done a bit of web design. I think that web design is easier (I would say tedious myself) because there isn't really much problem solving going on. Whereas, programming is problem solving, requiring logical thinking abilities.

It also looks like Web Deisgn 1 recommends Python as a pre-requisite.... So, maybe dd should do Python or Java first... then Web Design?

Thanks again Sue!

I know nothing about Python, but it seems to get high marks for a first language.