Menu

S/O: Who is finishing their CC year and....

Another Lynn

I will be the first in line to congratulate CC on the things they do well.

I will be the first in line to forgive minor growing pains - errors in material, etc.

Saying this gently: But I disagree that I have to cut them a break. My loyalty is to my calling to homeschool my children to the best of my ability as God is gracious to provide, not to any one organization. I don't think anyone here is maliciously attacking CC, just discussing and exploring why is hasn't been a good fit, including the possibility that its definition of Classical Christian education is different from our own. I don't think that conversation should be a threat to anyone, not even to CC itself.

I've typed and deleted and typed and deleted a few times now, trying to get the right blend of grace (thank you for that reminder) and, I dunno, reasonable expectation.

It seems that the problems outlined in this thread--CC growing too fast, typos and errors in their materials, lack of clarity (or willingness) to communicate well, not having a strategic plan for their growth because they're probably too busy homeschooling themselves, etc.--these aren't new problems for CC. And the idea that they shut down public discussion on their own boards because, well, questioning isn't appropriate? Come on!

Seems to me that if they don't address these issues, and communicate the solutions to their consumers, well, I predict their growth will come to a stunning halt. I can see someone else taking the idea of CC, revamping the model a bit and running a similar company with better results.

:iagree:

Maybe some in CC are simply on the defensive. Especially if a lot of issues/ criticisms are surfacing.

I see/ read evidence of a number of issues here. People have a tendency to be critical when we can simply extend some grace.

Constructive criticism is always good if the aim is to encourage growth or improvement.

L. B. is a mom who has done what many haven't/ won't/ didn't.

:iagree:

People have a tendency to be critical when we can simply extend some grace. IMHO, I don't think anyone has been ungracious in this thread. There is nothing wrong with criticizing something that doesn't fit our needs - it is done on this board all the time.

Constructive criticism is always good if the aim is to encourage growth or improvement. It's not my aim to grow or improve CC - nor do I think CC is interested in my thoughts about improvement. My goal is to homeschool my children according to my own philosophy - not bend it to match someone else's philosophy.

L. B. is a mom who has done what many haven't/ won't/ didn't. I have been quick to praise the many positives of CC. L.B. has begun a very successful venture, but again that is irrelevant to my goals.

See thoughts above.

(okaaaay)

I was speaking about extending grace and offering constructive criticism in general.

:chillpill: :001_smile:

Karis, I am sorry. I misread your response to Linda as coming from a pp and misconstrued that she/you hadn't understood the response I'd already posted. I apologize for responding too harshly and for misunderstanding your post. Speaking of grace, thank you for extending it to me. :001_smile:

I looked at it very carefully, and while there were some things I liked the look of, I also thought it was just too expensive and I would have had to make my schedule fit them in order for my son to get the most out of it. Memorizing random facts if you're not doing more in depth work at home on the same topics for the year isn't really all that beneficial, in my opinion.....

We aren't continuing...

-because Challenge is not a good fit for us and doesn't match my goals for high school

-I can no longer say that I support the philosophies behind the program

-it is supposed to be standardized but the reality is that most groups change stuff, disseminate different info, have different "rules" that they say come from CC etc. (this drives me CRAZY, lol)

-typographical/other errors ;)

But my biggest issue is 'cause the students and the parents and the tutors are what make or break the program; you really HAVE to have a great combo of all three to get the most out of it.

I really enjoyed Foundations/Essentials and Challenge was ok for us until Ch I. It can be a very rewarding experience. Our A and B tutors are lovely Christian ladies who really do a splendid job!

I don't think that these problems will cause their growth to stop (maybe just slow it...lol) because many, many, many home schoolers are desperate for a standardized curric/opportunity that appears rigorous and classical.

Heather, I'm sorry that happened to you :grouphug:

Georgia

Edited by Georgia in NC
took out most of my opinions, lol

Karis, I am sorry. I misread your response to Linda as coming from a pp and misconstrued that she/you hadn't understood the response I'd already posted. I apologize for responding too harshly and for misunderstanding your post. Speaking of grace, thank you for extending it to me. :001_smile:

:001_smile:

;)

• 1 year later...
Quite 2 yrs ago. Homeschooling with a well worn copy of Living Memory in hand.

How do CC and Living Memory compare? We quit CC about 5 weeks into the first semester and have been doing it at home ever since. We've focused mainly on geography, history, and math. I can't decide if it's worth it to continue doing CC at home, since I'm picking through so much of it, or if I should just break down and buy Living Memory? I love the concept behind CC, but it was just poorly executed at our location. I want to continue memorization at home, but I'm just not sure what to use.

• 1 month later...

I have 2 weeks left of ours due to a snow day, and I have been regretting resigning up lately. I already paid registration, so I am hoping that I will feel differently come September... I do have to say that I really appreciate the presentations, and am glad to continue if only for those because that is really beneficial to us. I know I will be out there yelling with excitement when we are finally done for this year! Maybe the fact that I have a wiggly baby in with us and I feel like it is totally pointless for me to be there is part of the issue this year, and she will be older next year and I can go between two classes (because my son will be there as well as my daughter next year)instead of always being in the same one will help. Trying to stay positive and remind myself that there are good things and good people there, too. Although I am extaordinarily annoyed at the new book and timeline cards that are coming out when I was assured last year that they wouldn't have a new edition for a couple years. I don't believe I will be upgrading :)