Menu

How does Latin look to colleges these days?

We plan to continue Latin at least a year or two into high school in order to get it on the transcript (DS has put all these years into it--surely he'd like to get credit for it.) Depending on his interest he'll either continue with Latin through high school, or more likely, end his Latin studies and begin a modern language. We've laid a little bit of groundwork with French and Spanish as opportunities arose but basically he'll be starting from scratch.

I don't know about other states, but here in Virginia there are two diplomas offered in the public schools: standard and advanced. I don't think the state cares much which way homeschoolers go, but I think it's sort of an interesting concept. The advanced diploma requires 3 years of a single foreign language or two years each of two languages. I would think that if a state offers this distinction then colleges probably look favorably on it.