Menu

Apologia Phys Sci without tests ?

In all the stress of the last few months, I've lost the solutions key to our Ap. Phys Sci text book. (I'm sure it is around here somewhere ??:confused:)

Since Christmas I've been telling my 9th grader to just keep reading the book. He'll get to the end of a module and ask about doing the study guide. I'll frantically look for the solutions guide, not find it, and tell him to move on the next module.

Now he is finishing reading Module 13 and I'm wondering how to GRADE this semester. I plan on going through all our bookshelves and boxes "sometime" in the next 3 weeks and HOPE to find the solutions manual.

What would you do? How would you grade the semester? (I do have test grades from fall semester) Would you make up your own tests? Grade the labs? (He is not doing "all" the labs)

He IS giving me an oral narration for some of his reading. Every now and again he'll say, "Hey mom, listen to this!!" and be excited/ intrigued about what he is reading. So I do KNOW he is understanding.

(It is amazing to me just how many things fall between the cracks during an extremely stressful time of life.)

Thanks!

Pam

"Doing the best I can until May"

First, try not to worry too much. :grouphug: If his fall test grades were consistent (and especially if they were consistently high), I think you can safely assume his spring semester test grades would have been similar--as long as he hasn’t slacked off, or doesn’t have poor grades that he needs to balance out with good ones. But it sounds like he’s doing well and has good comprehension, which is great!

I would have him go ahead and do the Study Guides to the best of his ability (starting with Module 13; I wouldn’t backtrack unless he has time.) You could then grade those on completeness and thoroughness (maybe have him go through them with you.) Later, if your solutions manual turns up, you could have him go back through to see if he missed anything and have him correct any problems. Otherwise, don't worry about it. I don’t know if Phy Sci has quarterly tests (we’ve just done bio, chem and physics), but if so, and if your solution manual turns up, you could use the last quarterly test if you feel you still need another test grade.

I would also go ahead and just grade whatever labs he does. If you still feel like you need more to grade, then another idea would be to have him do a short research paper on a topic that piques his interest and grade that. You could even grade his narrations to you as small oral reports...

Just some ideas.

HTH!