Menu

Habits of Healthy Homeschoolers?

hlee

This is my first year homeschooling, and it has been quite an experience overall, both good and not-so-good. I feel like the not-so-good parts are mostly my doing, and I want to make sure going forward that I create a healthy homeschooling environment. So I thought I'd put the question to the hive, especially those of you veterans: what do you do to create a healthy homeschool? What are some lessons you've learned along the way that you would suggest to those coming afterwards of dos and don'ts?

For comparison's sake, some times the unhealthy things I do are: 1) not giving enough grace and affirmation to my kids; 2) getting lost in the trees as opposed to seeing the big picture/forest of why we're homeschooling (i.e., getting too caught up in the to-do list); 3) being overly demanding at times...the list could probably go on and on!

Anyway, I would LOVE to hear from the wisdom of this group. What makes a healthy homeschool environment? What are some intentional choices you make to create that environment?

Thanks to all in advance for your feedback!

Healthy Habits:

Having a schedule/routine for homeschooling to stay on track. Not rigid, as flexibility for illness and other things do need to be allowed for, but most kids (and parents) do better with structure.

Limit time online. It is too easy to get sucked into many things online and lose track of where the time has gone.

Limit TV for obvious reasons.

School year round and take shorter breaks throughout the year.

Don't be tempted to compare. Each child (and teacher-parent) is an individual with unique learning/teaching styles, strengths and weaknesses. Education is not a race.

Take stock about every 6 weeks and see where you are. Are you on track, ahead, behind? If behind, why? Are you slacking, does dc have a probelm, does something need to be changed or presented differently? I find that reminds me to reel us in if we have gone of course or allows me to change our goals if the off course direction seems to be working better for us. Sometimes the kids just need extra time to absorb material, sometimes they need more challenge and are bored. Taking stock every so often allows me to look at the big picture and see what is working and what needs changing without getting stuck on "the list".

Start the day with prayer. I wake up early to pray and then when the girls and I sit down to start school we all pray together.

I also plan our year so we are finishing our material 1 to 2 weeks before I really want to finish. That way, if we have to take a day for something unexpected or the girls are not progressing as quickly as I had hoped, I know we have a cushion. This seems to help me relax and be a bit more patient with them when they are struggling (or waisting time ;)).

I have a tendency to look at the to-do list and want to work through it as efficiently as possible. As we all know, kids aren't always programmed to operate on Mommy's schedule so the cushion in our schdule helps me to chill out when we are not completing the math that was assigned for that day. I know that I can push things back and still be done in enough time to enjoy summer.

Actively work hard to remember to relax and not stress so much all day every day. Your tension will take away from your homeschool, not contribute to it.

Tears and learning don't mix. If either of you has progressed to the point of tears, then learning has ceased to take place, so it is time to immediately put the books away and do something else. Persevering through tears is futile at best.

If your kid doesn't get something, they need it taught to them differently, not to have it repeated to them the same way again. They might need to read it for themselves, or see it drawn out in pictures, or to hear it read to them, or to be able to build it with their hands to really get it. You'll need to figure that out and teach them in a way that helps them understand. It's tough at first, but once you get the hang of his style of learning, you'll know how to "go there" for him again in the future when things don't click right away.

If your kid doesn't get something, it's not because she's being bad, naughty, inatttentive, lazy, stubborn or rebelious usually. She probably just doesn't get it. Actively work hard at remembering that when they make mistakes so you can keep your cool 'cause losing your cool leads to them losing their cool, and tears and learning don't mix.

If your kid doesn't get something, and you know they really just don't get it in spite of trying hard to get it, and you've taught them every different way you can think of, then you need to realize that they may just not be ready yet to understand it, and no amount of trying is going to succeed in bringing about understanding just now. It's time to put it away for a month or 6 months or a year because persevering would be futile, and lead to frustration, which eventually may lead to tears, and tears and learning don't mix.

Some kids are incapable of staying on task for even 2 minutes strait. Don't let those kids work anywhere other than right. under. your. nose. Keep one eye on them at all times, and at the first sign their minds are wandering, gently and kindly redirect them to their assigned task. Do this diligently and always kindly. The more diligent and kind you are in the early years, the more success those children will have in working better when they are older.

Take care of yourself first. I don't mean me-time and spa trips or anything, I mean (for me anyway) getting to bed at a reasonable hour, getting up and eating a good breakfast, having a coffee, taking my ritilin, getting some exercise and eating well at regular intervals, etc. The stuff that gets me moving.

Provide areas for the child to have input and choices. For example, these are the things that you have to do today/this week. What would you like to do first? We need to do this kind of writing assignment, what topic do you think would be interesting for you to do? Flexibility with limits seems to work very well here.

Actively work hard to remember to relax and not stress so much all day every day. Your tension will take away from your homeschool, not contribute to it.

Tears and learning don't mix. If either of you has progressed to the point of tears, then learning has ceased to take place, so it is time to immediately put the books away and do something else. Persevering through tears is futile at best.

If your kid doesn't get something, they need it taught to them differently, not to have it repeated to them the same way again. They might need to read it for themselves, or see it drawn out in pictures, or to hear it read to them, or to be able to build it with their hands to really get it. You'll need to figure that out and teach them in a way that helps them understand. It's tough at first, but once you get the hang of his style of learning, you'll know how to "go there" for him again in the future when things don't click right away.

If your kid doesn't get something, it's not because she's being bad, naughty, inatttentive, lazy, stubborn or rebelious usually. She probably just doesn't get it. Actively work hard at remembering that when they make mistakes so you can keep your cool 'cause losing your cool leads to them losing their cool, and tears and learning don't mix.

If your kid doesn't get something, and you know they really just don't get it in spite of trying hard to get it, and you've taught them every different way you can think of, then you need to realize that they may just not be ready yet to understand it, and no amount of trying is going to succeed in bringing about understanding just now. It's time to put it away for a month or 6 months or a year because persevering would be futile, and lead to frustration, which eventually may lead to tears, and tears and learning don't mix.

Some kids are incapable of staying on task for even 2 minutes strait. Don't let those kids work anywhere other than right. under. your. nose. Keep one eye on them at all times, and at the first sign their minds are wandering, gently and kindly redirect them to their assigned task. Do this diligently and always kindly. The more diligent and kind you are in the early years, the more success those children will have in working better when they are older.

Laura, This is excellent.

What I would add:

Take care of YOU! My first year homeschooling I gained about 25 lbs. Make sure you eat, sleep & exercise. Also learn something YOU want to know. Your enthusiasm will spur your kids onto learn for themselves.

No curriculum is a silver bullet. Learn HOW to teach pulling info from many sources and then teach....using the best of what you can get and don't worry so much about what you DON'T have.

Don't be in a hurry...It is ok to start Algebra in 7th grade, but it is also ok to start in 9th. Homeschooling is not a sprint, it is a test of endurance.

Don't be afraid to take a day of off or do something special BUT don't get in the habit of too many days off.

Make relationships with your kids. Make sure they trust you. Talk ...talk...talk....even when they are older. Enjoy them, hug them, read to them, listen to them, relish them, encourage them, take joy in their triumphs and help them through their failures, pray with them, let them see the real you, let them know your dreams and hopes for their future and for your own.

Good luck on your journey. It certainly is a long strange trip that we are on.

~~Faithe

Fighting monotony (we cover a lot of material): when things start getting tedious, I really try to mix up everything or throw in something they've never done before. Here's some stuff we've done:

Yesterday, we made fossils to go with our Apologia's Swimming Creatures

We did a week-long Unit Study on Leonardo DaVinci (full of hands-on projects)- 'twas the most awesomest thingie we've ever done :001_smile:

We did a lapbook/paintings on Great Wall of China in Core 1 (SL)

Sometimes, I'll completely switch around our schedule - when they're expecting reading, we start with science - and have ice cream (OK, sounds dorky, but when you're 6 years old...) :D

I've made the 2nd grader tutor the 1st grader with his LA and they both thought that was fun (OK, we're a Nerd Farm, I know)

Instead of starting school at 9 this morning, we're going to ride our bikes to the park and we'll start school when we get home (and put the baby to bed-LOL)

I think our biggest obstacle is that we get too much into a routine and it becomes tedious. I'm making an effort to keep things exciting, try new hands-on stuff and beat any monotony that tends to show up once the CLE workbooks hit the dinner table. :tongue_smilie: Doh! CLE! :D

*Flexibility

*Seeing when a certain curriculum just doesn't jive with teacher and/or child.

*Getting out of the house and being with other homeschool families. Boy, do you learn a lot from doing that.

*BE PROUD that you homeschool and don't let anyone make you feel inferior about what you are doing for your children.

*Enjoy the smallest moments and accomplishments. Small steps always lead to great leaps.

i posted on my blog about the day that went all wrong and my perspective on it. i hope it helps...i wrote a full-length article about it for our local hs group's newsletter.

http://accidentalhomeschooler.blogspot.com/2010/01/one-of-those-weeks-or-who-made-that.html

it is a very good question, and you should continue to ask it, because the answer changes with time and experience, i think. the things that i used to need are not the things i currently need, my children are different, etc.

This year, are schedule is math/language arts/spanish everyday. Then, we take one subject (biology/history/spelling) and study that one subject everyday until it's complete. We started with history. We are on the last lessons in biology and will start spelling after that. Studying the same subject everyday is less stressful for me and the kids learn more than if we were switching from science to history every day like we were before.

Also, just being flexible. Take sick days when needed. Enjoy the sunshine when you can. These are some benefits of homeschooling, use them :)

Outdoor play. Yes, even if the schoolwork isn't finished. Kids need to be outside, and I believe that 20-30 minutes in the morning plus 20-30 minutes later is better than 40-60 minutes all at once in the afternoon. Obviously, the more time the better, but oh, the days when it's nice enough to have that time in the morning go SO much smoother.

I've said before that the hard thing about homeschooling is that the buck ALWAYS stops with Mom. Like others said, take care of yourself - sleep enough, eat three meals (don't skip!!), drink fluids, go outside yourself.

I would also argue it's worth observing your childs' work habits and attitude and how they vary after different types of meals. I know that I have to plan something high-protein for dd for breakfast for her to make it to lunch without falling apart. I also know that if ds only eats three bites at breakfast, we'll be okay. Sometimes food is the missing link.

I take stock periodically - at the end of each week, I prep for the next. Every month, I deliberately review everything, at least in my head. Every 'quarter,' I write it out.

Have goals for each child and take stock of those goals fairly regularly. We have three areas of goals, spiritual, academic and personal and then three goals per area. If we are hitting those goals, then we are doing what we need to do. If not we need to change our focus. Make sure to celebrate when any of those goals are met. Ice cream, movies, a new toy, a family outing, anything to encourage the child for working hard.

Time with your spouse. Make sure you are taking regular time away from the children with your spouse. A strong marriage is one of the best things you can do for your family and it might keep you sane.

Use a curriculum you enjoy. If you enjoy it and have fun teaching then the kids will follow your lead. If you find it dull than more than likely so will they.

Ask your dh to evaluate your curriculum and how he thinks all of you are doing. Often they can see the forest through the trees better than we can.

Two things come to mind:

1. Have a long term goal. For us this means looking at where we think we want to be at the time of graduation. Then decide what it will take to get there.

2. Have a routine. Some may call this a schedule. I prefer to call it a routine because to me it implies flexibility within a structure. We do, basically, the same thing at the same time or week, but we are very flexible within the time frame. Also, sometimes, we just take a day off to go on a field trip, do a special project, or whatever.

Susie

This is my 3rd year homeschooling, so I don't consider myself a pro by any means (I am enjoying reading through all the advice!), but I think the one thing we have found is that we have to enjoy the curriculum. When we started, I used a math program and an LA program that both my dd and I didn't enjoy. I pushed through it because I figured I had already shelled out the money. When we switched to new programs the following year, it made all the difference.

I really struggle with getting outside enough, for both myself and my dd...that is something I need to work on.

Thanks for posting this question!

I echo lot of what has already been said with maybe one more thing... in regards to curriculum...

I've learned this year that with 4 children I cannot choose curriculum that fits each child to a T. If I did that, I would be teaching 4 different curriculum for every subject! What I can do is choose curriculum that makes sense to me and that I enjoy teaching... that will get us where I want us to go. (This is what you will most easily be able to stick with and make work) Then, I adapt my teaching methods to each child. Some need more of this, less of that... some can work more independent, some can't....some need more repetition, some hate repetition.

Instead of constantly changing curriculum I look at what I could be doing to make what I have work. I have to quell the "curriculum junkie" in me that could take over, but in the long run, I think we're happier. After all, curriculum is a tool.... YOU are the teacher of your children. I've realized my children need more of ME and not necessarily what seems the latest and greatest curriculum related.

I'm not sure that these are "healthy habits", but I consider it good advice.

1). Don't compare your kids to others.

2). Be flexible.

3). Don't jump on every curriculum bandwagon that comes along. IMO, you will end up buying too much and feeling overwhelmed and confused.

4). Do something fun each day & enjoy this time with your children.

Have Fun!

Susan

Clear vision for MY family.

Understand of various educational pedagogies and choose one that fits with our families vision.

Clear systems in place to manage the household chores which include kids working along with parents.

Weekly family meetings (esp important as the kids get older- jr. and sr. high school). At this meeting talk about any issues amongst people and resolve. Scheduling meeting- who goes where at what time, etc.

Continue reading and growing as an educator- incorporate what fits with your families vision.

Daily read-alouds allow a time for everyone to come together in a relaxed manner with a shared purpose regardless of age or other differences and opens up dialog for difficult topics.

Remember that academics are just a piece of raising healthy, passionate people - don't neglect the other peices- physical, spiritual, emotional, social.

Have a blast and revel in each season. Kids morph into adults in a blink of an eye.

I've learned this year that with 4 children I cannot choose curriculum that fits each child to a T. If I did that, I would be teaching 4 different curriculum for every subject! What I can do is choose curriculum that makes sense to me and that I enjoy teaching... that will get us where I want us to go.

Thank for this robsiew! I think I worry too much about this - look at the age of my kids.:lol: The bolded part really makes sense to me.

I'm pretty hard core about academics, but I'm not afraid to be crazy or silly during school time. Have fun -- be nuts! It isn't school where you can get demerits. Relish that!! :D

:iagree: Ds and I got in trouble in the library a few weeks ago. Apparently we were being too silly.

-guard your school time. Turn off the phone & (*gasp*) even the internet if necessary

- take time to read about different homeschool philosophies, even if you don't think it's for you

- take off the teacher hat and just be mom

- recognize those days that nothing is going to get done, give up & go to the park, then start fresh the next day

- homeschooling gives us, the parents, a sort of transparency in front of our kids. It's okay for them to see us fail, be frustrated, or not know everything. It's shows that we are human too. I believe ds and I have a better relationship because he knows many of my imperfections.

- the best curriculum isn't always the most expensive.

- the better organized I am, the better I can teach.

- Invest in a good electric pencil sharpener, little distractions can affect the best attitude. :D

- As others have stated, take time for yourself.

- remain flexible, sometimes it seems the only constant is change.

Provide areas for the child to have input and choices. For example, these are the things that you have to do today/this week. What would you like to do first? We need to do this kind of writing assignment, what topic do you think would be interesting for you to do? Flexibility with limits seems to work very well here.

:iagree: This has been very important for all of my boys. The younger ones love being able to choose what to work on first. They understand that it all has to get done but I don't care about the order. My oldest loves having input into some of the subjects that we do. Latin, math, and writing are not negotiable but I let him choose things like science, history, and literature from the shelf of books that I want to get through anyway. It's this choice that keeps him content at home.

My advice might go against what you have been getting, but here it goes. Dont be concerned so much with being "ahead", "behind" or "on schedule", instead be concerned with "are my kids retaining the info being taught". This is my 2nd year homeschooling. The first half of my first year was horrible because I was so affraid that my kids were "behind". I made them do too much. Start slowly so its not overwhelming for you and your kids. Then as you get comfortable together, do more, then more until you are comforable with the days routine. If you have to go a little longer in the summer the first year, thats ok. My kids are far above where they would be in any public school (as Im sure ALL homeschoolers are) so just take this first year slow! Get used to each other (you as the teacher and your kids as the students!) Its amazing when you slow down and take baby steps! It is such a rewarding job! Dont stress yourself out!

3). Don't jump on every curriculum bandwagon that comes along. IMO, you will end up buying too much and feeling overwhelmed and confused.

This is great advice, and something I struggle with :blushing:

I have also learned over the past few years to make the curriculum work for me instead of being a slave to it. This is *so* important!

I am so glad this question was asked and so many have taken the time to share. I am in my second year and this is so encouraging. God bless you all and thank you.

Laura, This is excellent.

What I would add:

Take care of YOU! My first year homeschooling I gained about 25 lbs. Make sure you eat, sleep & exercise. Also learn something YOU want to know. Your enthusiasm will spur your kids onto learn for themselves.

No curriculum is a silver bullet. Learn HOW to teach pulling info from many sources and then teach....using the best of what you can get and don't worry so much about what you DON'T have.

Don't be in a hurry...It is ok to start Algebra in 7th grade, but it is also ok to start in 9th. Homeschooling is not a sprint, it is a test of endurance.

Don't be afraid to take a day of off or do something special BUT don't get in the habit of too many days off.

Make relationships with your kids. Make sure they trust you. Talk ...talk...talk....even when they are older. Enjoy them, hug them, read to them, listen to them, relish them, encourage them, take joy in their triumphs and help them through their failures, pray with them, let them see the real you, let them know your dreams and hopes for their future and for your own.

Good luck on your journey. It certainly is a long strange trip that we are on.

~~Faithe

My advice might go against what you have been getting, but here it goes. Dont be concerned so much with being "ahead", "behind" or "on schedule", instead be concerned with "are my kids retaining the info being taught". This is my 2nd year homeschooling. The first half of my first year was horrible because I was so affraid that my kids were "behind". I made them do too much. Start slowly so its not overwhelming for you and your kids. Then as you get comfortable together, do more, then more until you are comforable with the days routine. If you have to go a little longer in the summer the first year, thats ok. My kids are far above where they would be in any public school (as Im sure ALL homeschoolers are) so just take this first year slow! Get used to each other (you as the teacher and your kids as the students!) Its amazing when you slow down and take baby steps! It is such a rewarding job! Dont stress yourself out!

I am so glad you wrote this I feel the exact same way and do have to remind myself daily. Foundation not "ahead", "behind", or "on schedule. This is also my second year and I have learned the hard way and still learning.:lol:

I've learned this year that with 4 children I cannot choose curriculum that fits each child to a T. If I did that, I would be teaching 4 different curriculum for every subject! What I can do is choose curriculum that makes sense to me and that I enjoy teaching... that will get us where I want us to go. (This is what you will most easily be able to stick with and make work) Then, I adapt my teaching methods to each child. Some need more of this, less of that... some can work more independent, some can't....some need more repetition, some hate repetition.

Instead of constantly changing curriculum I look at what I could be doing to make what I have work. I have to quell the "curriculum junkie" in me that could take over, but in the long run, I think we're happier. After all, curriculum is a tool.... YOU are the teacher of your children. I've realized my children need more of ME and not necessarily what seems the latest and greatest curriculum related.

:iagree: This is excellent advice!!

Also, rather than worry about what 'grade' a curriculum is labelled as, or what grade a child 'should' be in, just meet each child where they are at and go from there, step at a time. It's the process of learning that matters more than the pace.

Make sure you leave wiggle room in your daily schedule, your yearly schedule, and in your curriculum choices. You don't want to pack your school hours so tight that you can't take advantage of a passing opportunity, or flex with life's interruptions, or just take a break. You also don't want to choose a mom-intensive LA program, on top of a mom-intensive history program, on top of a mom-intensive science program on top of a mom-intensive math program. . .

I've home schooled every grade from K-8, so I've learned a lot, yet the high school years are already stretching me....lesson 1 --- stay humble!

You need proper sleep and good health. The adage, When Mom is happy, everyone is happy, is true. You don't need to obsess with Mom's night out, spa, etc, but you do need to eat well, sleep well and stay spiritually strong. Don't lose sight that your health, physical, mental and spiritual matters --- it MATTERS.

There is something amazing about starting the day with the Lord. Really, when we worship and pray first, the day is ALWAYS better.

Feed your children well. Brain food is legit....sugar makes for very whiny children.

Be organized. Not just with school, but with life. Being organized does not mean being a slave to the schedule, but it does help to have things on paper so you can keep the days goals in perspective. Be the first up and the last to bed...it will make a difference in those little tiny things that will drive you crazy if left undone.

Watch out for pride and idol worship in home schooling. Sometimes, we make the schooling part so important that we leave behind the opportunity for growth in relationship and trust. Home schooling does NOT guarantee your kids will be great teens or adults. It helps, but you have to keep loving, training and creating a quality relationship with your children. Talk, talk, talk, and be real with them...even when they're young. I guarantee it pays off later. Home schooling Is about academics, but it opens an opportunity for So.Much.More.

Don't over schedule. Two decades ago, people hid behind blinds to home school, now, some people are never home. Keep academics and outside activities in perspective and don't over schedule your dc. There should absolutely be time in your day to do nothing...every day....

Don't compare Johnny to Jill within your home or to little Suzy across the way. Each child truly is different. Don't get so consumed in finishing that you turn your home school into a mass production line. Tailor to their needs. It requires more from you, the teacher, but it will benefit you all in the end -- they'll be better students and you'll be a better teacher.

You need to teach. Don't expect your curriculum to do it all for you. Curricula is simply a tool...some are better than others and can teach you a lot, but remember, the true and best tool is YOU. Be better teacher every year. Practice your trade. Improve your knowledge. Consider yourself a professional and never stop growing as a teacher. You'll be amazed at the different teacher you'll be in the next 10 years.

Include in your life not only like-minded home schoolers, but also those who take a different approach. I have learned many things from unschoolers. We disagree on much, but they remind me to enjoy learning, to reduce stress and to allow my children to be individuals -- something *I* would easily forget in my desire to provide every moment to be academic, classical, and generally rigid.

Find someone you trust and be accountable. This goes 2 ways...my dearest friend makes me go to the beach each spring, but she and I also keep the history flow moving...we have played leapfrog for years, she's ahead, I'm ahead, but either way, we never get too far apart b/c we know if we separated too much, one of us is slacking!

Don't be afraid to make a mess.

I can't say enough.....stick with a curriculum that works. Switching from one good thing, to the newest good thing absolutely will create gaps. Trust me...it's a real bummer filling them. If you love your Language Arts routine that involves 5 sources, it works, everyone is learning...stick with it all the way through. If you don't love it, find something else, but be careful. What Author A uses in Scope and Sequence may vary greatly from Author B and eventually, all the switching will create gaps. Gaps are the devil. Avoid them!

Keep asking questions.

Give back to the community. I spent a ton of time answering PR questions recently and it was worth every.single.second. b/c years ago, people were answering my questions too. Feel free to take, but be ready to share too. Together, we all make a HUGE difference!

Create a "Things to remember" 3-ring binder and print out good threads. Read them again and again...they'll be your encouragement for many years.

Finally, and very importantly :D get really fast at typing; that way, you're time on The Forums allows you to post and read more...and makes you very long winded like that Tina lady!

Great thread idea....OP, the things you notice are excellent observations and along with other posts by you, show your dedication to home school well. You're doing a great job and moreso, your willingness to improve will benefit your entire family boundlessly. WAY TO GO!

Edited by johnandtinagilbert

Great post, Tina. We've not long started our tenth year of homeschooling (:tongue_smilie:) and I can relate to so much of what you have said. I'll have to print this out and put it in my 'Things to Remember' binder, which by the way, I was about to start even before I read your post ;)

There is something amazing about starting the day with the Lord. Really, when we worship and pray first, the day is ALWAYS better.

Yep. It puts things in perspective. Not everything is about school :)

Watch out for pride and idol worship in home schooling. Sometimes, we make the schooling part so important that we leave behind the opportunity for growth in relationship and trust. Home schooling does NOT guarantee your kids will be great teens or adults. It helps, but you have to keep loving, training and creating a quality relationship with your children. Talk, talk, talk, and be real with them...even when they're young. I guarantee it pays off later. Home schooling Is about academics, but it opens an opportunity for So.Much.More.

I find this to be sooooo true. I've said for a long time that homeschooling is about relationship. The strong relationship pays off across the board - not just in school work, but in all areas of our lives. Maybe that's how the academic part of schooling becomes a learning part of our overall lives, rather than just a slot in our days. Just thinking out loud......

You need to teach. Don't expect your curriculum to do it all for you. Curricula is simply a tool...some are better than others and can teach you a lot, but remember, the true and best tool is YOU. Be better teacher every year. Practice your trade. Improve your knowledge. Consider yourself a professional and never stop growing as a teacher. You'll be amazed at the different teacher you'll be in the next 10 years. !

Yes, yes and yes.

I even think that a curriculum or resource can be 'great' or 'average' or 'not so great' depending on how we, as teachers/parents use and apply it with our kids. And that application can be different for each child in accordance with their needs and where they are at. One child may be able to fly with a resource as it is while the next child may need us to present it him/her in a different way. Hmmm.... home schooling is never boring.

I can't say enough.....stick with a curriculum that works. Switching from one good thing, to the newest good thing absolutely will create gaps. Trust me...it's a real bummer filling them. If you love your Language Arts routine that involves 5 sources, it works, everyone is learning...stick with it all the way through. If you don't love it, find something else, but be careful. What Author A uses in Scope and Sequence may vary greatly from Author B and eventually, all the switching will create gaps. Gaps are the devil. Avoid them!

This is good too. It's easy to get attracted to the resource that everyone says is great, even though what we have is working well. I was recently 'tempted' by a different LA program that looks great, but was going to require a complete change and cost me heaps of $. I've decided that we don't NEED it, and I can achieve my goal by just adding bits to what we were already using. What a relief!! :001_smile: Keeping the goal in mind helps, I think.

Give back to the community. I spent a ton of time answering PR questions recently and it was worth every.single.second. b/c years ago, people were answering my questions too. Feel free to take, but be ready to share too. Together, we all make a HUGE difference!

Love this too. Giving to the community, and being involved in community things, enriches our lives and the lives of our kids. It also completely negates those inevitable 'but what about socialization' comments. What can be more socially productive than giving to our community which is our real-life social environment.

Create a "Things to remember" 3-ring binder and print out good threads. Read them again and again...they'll be your encouragement for many years.

:) Just starting this. Lots of articles by SWB will be going in my binder.... :)

Thanks again, Tina, for a great post.

This thread just keeps getting better all the time! Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond, I have been really taking in all the great advice. Tina, I really appreciated everything you wrote! I love the idea of the Things to Remember binder--this thread will absolutely be in there! I don't know how I would ever have homeschooled without these boards. You all are a huge blessing! =)

This thread just keeps getting better all the time! Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond, I have been really taking in all the great advice. Tina, I really appreciated everything you wrote! I love the idea of the Things to Remember binder--this thread will absolutely be in there! I don't know how I would ever have homeschooled without these boards. You all are a huge blessing! =)

You're very welcome. I feel the same way about the boards and the binder idea came from someone here many years ago.

Just today, I got all the materials for the "Pongo Chalkdust Combo." When I explained what that meant to my husband and how it saved me BIG bucks, he smiled and told me he was happy I had my little virtual home schooling world :D

I'm glad too!