Menu

How do you plan ahead for 7-12 grades??

heart4myhome

Hello! Im so glad to have joined this forum as I see such a great turn out and variety of posts. My question is regarding my soon to be 7th grader. I want to plan ahead to know what scope and sequence/direction to go with her. This will help me both in finding things along the way (garage sales, ebay etc) AND more importantly, ensure a good solid course of study for her. Do any of you use some kind of planner that suggests a course of study or do you just wing it? I know that in HS it will be much more important to be particular about scheduling, but I want 7-8th grades to lead in that direction for ease.

Any suggestions or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated!!

I started frequenting the high school boards when my older son was in fifth/sixth grades. He was ready to start doing some hs level courses in seventh, so I wanted to be ready to start transitioning him in that direction.

I made a one page plan for just the general subjects I wanted him to cover in seventh, eighth, ninth, etc. I figured out how much time I could alot to each subject and on which days of the week and plugged those in to a generalized schedule.

I then began reading and asking questions to decide what texts I would use for each subject. Once I had a wish list in hand, whenever I shopped I looked for things I needed.

I also began reading some of Cafi Cohen's books on homeschooling high school kids, as well as others. I attended Inge Cannon's High School Boot Camp for further info on transcript prep, etc.

I generally begin planning each year in about January of the year prior. So in January of his sixth grade year, I began actually pulling together everything for his seventh grade year and finalizing it. I was also always talking to others in my community about the possibility of group classes and trying to plan for any of those that I could fit in. During my son's seventh grade year, for instance, he took an outside English class for high schoolers. He was in a drama group that put on a musical in the spring of that year. I think that was the year he began work on the President's Physical Fitness Awards, etc.

I getting ready to move into seventh with my younger son next year, so I'm working on his schedule now and lining up outside classes for him, as well.

I'm still working my way in that direction, but my first step was to look up the graduation requirements for my state and then for the major state colleges and the nearest community college. My oldest has no idea what he wants to do, so I need to keep it broad but rigorous for now. This year I have been going through high school curriculums deciding generally what will work for us and what is out of the question. I am also listing all the different ways of getting the info there is out there. Will ds do better with an online class, can I find a co-op to teach this, more depth, broader coverage? I think I am confusing myself.

I think it's great to have a general outline/plan into and through highschool! I have ended up being more of a "wing-it" person, since when I made long-range plans, they seemed to fall by the wayside. So, aside from having a general idea in my head of where we want to head, my "long-term" is doing one year at a time.

Like Regena, I start planning for the next school year in January, sometimes February. There are usually sales in April, but I often have the books and things I need by then already! Not sure why I can't stand to wait longer! ;) I do a LOT of research, mainly by reading what others on the board are using.talking and raving about. I look things up and try to figure out their strong and weak points. I've had quite a few misses---things I thought would work well, but didn't. This year, with my dd who LOVES to read, I ordered Vocabu-Lit, instead of going with the Vocabulary from Classical Roots, which I already had, but my boys had thought it was boring. I thought being a voracious reader, she would like it better. Nope, she did not. Now that is just sitting, and she is using the VfCR, and enjoying it! :) However, you kind of get a feel for what your child is interested in and can head that direction.

A small word of caution: with highschool coming up, then possibly college too, then work....I wouldn't rush the "rigorous" part. They are still young enough in 7th grade to give a little less rigor. More hands-on, less book-type study. Letting them enjoy the year, and look forward to highschool, instead of thinking, "Wow, if it's like this now, what's highschool going to be like?!" It could cause them to dread or be overwhelmed with the thought of highschool and classes!

These are general statements. Some kids love the rigor--my oldest did. My middle one couldn't have handled me ramping up the rigor before 9th grade. He just was not ready! He's doing GREAT in highschool, even though I had a lighter 7th grade load for him, then ramped it up a little in 8th, and by 9th he was ready.

Just sayin'.... Kids are so different! So keep that in your thoughts as you plan! :D

Start at the end and work your way backwards. Most state high school graduation requirements, and most college entrance requirements call for 4 years of high school English, 4 years of math, at least 3 lab sciences, a year each of American history and world history, a year of fine arts, and a semester each of economics, health and what we called civics back in my day -- now government. That is the typical course of study for a college bound high schooler, and would include electives.

Think about the kinds of skills you want your graduating senior to have, both academic and life skills. Think about what you might want to outsource and start keeping notes on what is available in your area, whether community college or co-ops or on-line classes. Even if you aren't going to use a typical WTM high school plan, you should purchase the downloadable lectures on teaching middle school and high school writing presented by SWB a year ago. They are available at Peace Hill Press and are not expensive. It will give you an excellent overview of the kinds of writing skills you are working towards in the next several years.

Once you have a big picture, sit back and enjoy the next few years. Seriously -- they grow up and move out far too quickly. But as for the details of what to teach, I'm with Brindee, I tend to wing it, planning the details year by year, and I'm not a curricula kind of gal -- I design most courses based on the interests of my kids.

The world book encyclopedia has a great scope and sequence to help you! I will have a 7th grader next year. I have *most* of the rest of her school figured out (until I find something I like better :001_huh: lol)

http://www.worldbook.com/typical_course_of_study.html

If you want ideas let me know! I am always willing to share!

The plan for my girls has changed over the years as I've realized what works for them and what doesn't. Some programs you have to actually get started using before you realize that they just won't work for you.

My girls are in 6th, 9th, and 11th this year. You can see most of what we're using in my signature at the bottom of this post.

I recently made up my plan for the rest of school for everybody. I don't know how close we'll come to following it. There are some things on the plan that I haven't used yet.

The plans that I had for my oldest changed completely during her high school years. One of the biggest changes has been that I have discovered that I really don't like SL at the high school level. The religious content isn't the problem, because it's no more difficult to work around in the higher level Cores than it was at the lower level. I just don't like the way the high school levels are set up. Most of the programs that I've used with my oldest will not be repeated with my other girls because I didn't like them.

ACC is the local community college. Ours is set up so that students can take up to 2 classes each semester after finishing 10th grade. They can take more classes only with the approval of the dean. I'm hoping that the dean will approve for my oldest to take 4 classes in fall and spring semesters next schoolyear so that all I need to do with her at home is one year of government or one semester each of government and economics.

I will actually be teaching the group classes that I mention.

The short story club/group is for literature discussion. I'm hoping to get that started in the fall.

OM is Oak Meadow.

I already own SL Cores 6 and 7. I liked the Cores, but I just don't feel like going through SOTW again. It's a good series once. I don't want to repeat it. That's why I'm thinking about switching to something else, but still keeping most of the readers and readalouds from the SL Cores.

================================================================

Sarah - 12th grade

Japanese III and maybe IV - ACC

English 1301 and 1302 - ACC

Physics - hopefully at ACC, otherwise AP Physics B maybe at Scholars Online or PA hsers or Keystone

Calculus I and statistics at ACC or AP Calc somewhere or do Calc just at home

Thinkwell Government/Economics or OM Government

Beth - 10th grade

Kinetic Books Algebra 2

Giancoli's Physics - hopefully with a group 2x/week, probably using Castle Heights for experiments

probably OM 10th grade English, but maybe Essay Architect

American short story club/group, 1-2x/month

OM 10th grade world history

definitely do Ramsey's Personal Finance

either OM Photography, OM Intro to Short Fiction, or TC music appreciation

p.e.

Hannah - 7th grade

Lial's BCM - maybe with a group 2x/week, supplementing with Key to as 5-10 minute math

Science Explorer 7th grade - maybe with a group 1x/week, especially for experiments

readers/readalouds from Core 6

possibly Essay Apprentice

either History Odyssey level 2 ancient and medieval or SL Core 6 or OM 6 history&English

==============================

====================================

Beth - 11th grade

Lial's Precalculus/College Algebra or Larson's Precalculus - hopefully with a group 2x/week

OM Chemistry with TC videos - hopefully with group 2x/week

OM 12th grade English or AP Language through PA hsers

world short story club/group, 1-2x/month

OM 11th grade world geography

Spanish I and II - ACC

3 other ACC courses (1 summer,fall,spring) - Philosophy, Psychology, Fund of Programming, Intro to Engineering, Ethics, Intro to Speech

Hannah - 8th grade

Jacobs or Lial's or Kinetic Books Algebra - with group 2x/week

PH Physical Science or Conceptual Physical Science - with group 2x/week

possibly Essay Apprentice

readers/readalouds from Core 7

either History Odyssey level 2 renaissance&modern or SL Core 7 or OM 7 history&English

==================================================================

Beth - 12th grade

Calculus at ACC or Calc with group 2x/week

science at ACC

English 1301 and 1302 at ACC

science fiction short story club/group 1-2x/month

OM 12th grade government

Spanish III and IV - ACC

1 other ACC course in summer from 11th grade list

Hannah - 9th grade

Jacobs Geometry with group 2x/week

OM 11th grade Chemistry with TC videos with group 2x/week

OM 9th grade English or Essay Apprentice or Essay Architect

IEW Windows to the World with a group 1x/week

OM 9th grade US history

OM Health

OM Photography or Intro to Short Fiction or something else

need to find some way to work on Italian

p.e.

=====================================================

Hannah - 10th grade

Kinetic Books Algebra 2 or Lial's Algebra II - with group 2x/week

OM 10th grade Biology

probably OM 10th grade English, but maybe Essay Architect

American short story club/group, 1-2x/month

OM 10th grade world history

definitely do Ramsey's Personal Finance

either OM Photography, OM Intro to Short Fiction, or TC music appreciation or something else

p.e.

========================================================

Hannah - 11th grade

Lial's Precalculus/College Algebra or Larson's Precalculus - hopefully with a group 2x/week

Giancoli's Physics with group 2x/week

OM 12th grade English or AP Language through PA hsers

world short story club/group, 1-2x/month

OM 11th grade world geography

3 other ACC courses (1 summer,fall,spring) - Psychology, Fund of Programming, Intro to Engineering, Intro to Speech, Beg Web Page Programming, Tech Drafting, Tech Drafting II, Architectural Drafting (must have other drafting courses first)

=======================================================

Hannah - 12th grade

Calculus at ACC or Calc with group 2x/week

science at ACC

English 1301 and 1302 at ACC

science fiction short story club/group 1-2x/month

OM 12th grade government

1 other ACC course in summer from 11th grade list

I think it's great to have a general outline/plan into and through highschool! I have ended up being more of a "wing-it" person, since when I made long-range plans, they seemed to fall by the wayside. So, aside from having a general idea in my head of where we want to head, my "long-term" is doing one year at a time.

Like Regena, I start planning for the next school year in January, sometimes February. There are usually sales in April, but I often have the books and things I need by then already! Not sure why I can't stand to wait longer! ;) I do a LOT of research, mainly by reading what others on the board are using.talking and raving about. I look things up and try to figure out their strong and weak points. I've had quite a few misses---things I thought would work well, but didn't. This year, with my dd who LOVES to read, I ordered Vocabu-Lit, instead of going with the Vocabulary from Classical Roots, which I already had, but my boys had thought it was boring. I thought being a voracious reader, she would like it better. Nope, she did not. Now that is just sitting, and she is using the VfCR, and enjoying it! :) However, you kind of get a feel for what your child is interested in and can head that direction.

A small word of caution: with highschool coming up, then possibly college too, then work....I wouldn't rush the "rigorous" part. They are still young enough in 7th grade to give a little less rigor. More hands-on, less book-type study. Letting them enjoy the year, and look forward to highschool, instead of thinking, "Wow, if it's like this now, what's highschool going to be like?!" It could cause them to dread or be overwhelmed with the thought of highschool and classes!

These are general statements. Some kids love the rigor--my oldest did. My middle one couldn't have handled me ramping up the rigor before 9th grade. He just was not ready! He's doing GREAT in highschool, even though I had a lighter 7th grade load for him, then ramped it up a little in 8th, and by 9th he was ready.

Just sayin'.... Kids are so different! So keep that in your thoughts as you plan! :D

Boy, have I learned that the hard way this year...keep 7th & 8th grade, 7th and 8th grade (unless something specific like Algebra is in your face :) )

I also frequent the high school boards and read old threads a ton. I have started a high school binder to print great threads.

I also start looking for next year around Jan-Mar so by Apr. and May, I'm shopping for used materials :)

I also re-read the WTM each spring to remind me of the big picture and also to encourage me to keep fighting the good fight.

I also read books meant to encourage teachers. It helps me be ready for a challenge and also appreciate a golden little world of home schooling where I dwell. I got it good...real good!

Start at the end and work your way backwards. Most state high school graduation requirements, and most college entrance requirements call for 4 years of high school English, 4 years of math, at least 3 lab sciences, a year each of American history and world history, a year of fine arts, and a semester each of economics, health and what we called civics back in my day -- now government. That is the typical course of study for a college bound high schooler, and would include electives.

Think about the kinds of skills you want your graduating senior to have, both academic and life skills. Think about what you might want to outsource and start keeping notes on what is available in your area, whether community college or co-ops or on-line classes......

This is kind of planning is invaluable!

I have one about to enter 7th grade and, as she is quite different than her sisters, I feel like I have gone back to the drawing board! But I am still working backwards, then thinking about which skills build on each other and which information would fit best when - if that makes sense.

My ds will be 7th next and I have several tentative plans for the duration of high school. We follow The Latin-Centered Curriculum for our framework so that was my starting place. I also keep my WTM handy and refer to both resources on a regular basis.

My written plans (all subject to change) are like looking at many alternate realities. If his interests develop here... we'll follow that path, etc. Right now he doesn't have a clearly defined major interest but he prefers science, so I probably pay more attention to the high school science threads.

As others mentioned I also do backward planning. I also look at high school graduation recommendations for our state.

One of my biggest goals for 7th -8th is to develop good organizational skills for myself and ds.

I've also been working on my own self-ed, trying to decide which subjects I feel comfortable teaching and which I will need some help.

I spend a lot of time reading the high school board. There is great wisdom over there.