Menu

Dd17 finally tried SWB method for literature study...AND...

she liked it...hey Mikey!!!

I purchased that HUGE Timetables of History book, the National Geographic Visual Encyclopedia of World History (in place of the DK) and SparkNotes guides to help with author information.

She thoroughly enjoyed this pre-reading activity and felt it was a great way to get started on her new book.

I typed up a Literature Guidelines sheet (straight out of WTM) printed it on cardstock and put it in a clear slip cover to keep in her notebook. We don't divide up our reading by SWB's method because we don't do history chronologically; we do a more ps history progression. We just keep the current lit study info behind a tab and completed stuff behind a tab.

I can't believe it took so long for us to try this. For now it seems like a great way to do lit study. She's SO excited to be able to do this pre-reading stuff and then just READ rather than having to stop and do comprehension questions every. single. day.

okay...i'm done

It's just the guidelines on how to have your student do literature study. It's in the rhetoric section on great books. There is also a history study guidelines section.

It has them do book contexts, book notes and reading, and then a composition of some sort.

I just typed it up straight from the book minus the "filing in such and such a section" part. We don't keep our notebook like SWB suggests. Other than that, though, her suggestions are great.

Just look through WTM in the great books/literature section.

I decided it has such great explanations of the different genres and SWB's writing style is often humorous and such an easy read!!!

Dd really enjoyed reading the section on the novel for her current book. She also liked the suggestions to take notes in her book as she reads and write a one sentence synopsis of each chapter as a reminder for later composition work.

Now, she is going to read, without interruption from comprehension questions, and she is really excited about that! I don't even usually have to begin a discussion on her books, she loves telling about them without prompting.

take notes in her book as she reads and write a one sentence synopsis of each chapter as a reminder for later composition work.

Now, she is going to read, without interruption from comprehension questions,

Oh, isn't this the best?!?!? I'm getting more used to doing this, and I think it is soooooo much easier than following guides on specific books. One pattern, once learned = enjoyment of many, many books.

...I don't even usually have to begin a discussion on her books, she loves telling about them without prompting.

I noticed this, too. My sons volunteer information on whatever they are reading or watching. They seem to have absorbed the questions and now automatically notice that sort of thing. I think if the questions were different for each and every book, this would be less likely to happen.

-Nan