Menu

old

Mine just don't get enough practice to do it and to be honest, now print everything. I also hold the pencil incorrectly. Both boys ( 13 and 15) are excellent typists. In college, they will turn in typed papers and print for exams, I guess. I just haven't wanted to fight it.

My ds has poor handwriting. He's had some learning delays in reading and writing and we've gone back to daily copywork in print. He can write in cursive but has a harder time reading it, so I went back to printing. In the two weeks we've been doing it, I've seen marked improvment. It's not like he was never writing but we weren't doing daily copywork.

He also asked for cushion pencil grips. I bought some and they haven't worked too well (cheap) so I'm going to buy some mechanical pencils with built-in grip.

My son actually does the same thing. I think it's called a "quad grip". I tried to gently correct it, but it didn't work well. I suspect the same might be true for your ds given that it's such an ingrained habit. HWT considers both grips to be correct, so it really isn't a problem for him to continue using that grip.

If you do want to correct it, I second Susan's suggestion of "The Writing Claw".

Oh my...hahaha...the writing claw looks like a torture device for someone like me that is totally comfortable with my "incorrect" grip.:001_smile: Are you sure that it is his grip that is causing his handwriting to be sloppy? I hold my pencil the same way you describe and I have very neat handwriting. Teachers tried to correct me for years.....to no avail. My son holds his pencil "correctly" and he has terribly handwriting!! I don't know that I would push too hard about changing his grip...especially at 12. For me, that would be like someone telling me to write with my left hand!