Menu

What piano piece is your child/teen working on now?

My 14 yo dd is about 3/4 of the way through Clementi's Sonatina Op. 36, first movement, and would like to get some ideas for what to tackle next.

So, what's "on the piano" at your house now? Or, what are some favorite pieces your dc has already learned?

My dd finished Chopin's Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 and that was a lovely piece.

She is now polishing Mozart's Alla Turca, which she is really enjoying. She is getting the nerve up to start Beethoven's Sonata Pathetique which is what she really wants to tackle as a challenge piece.

Have they tried Moonlight Sonata? That piece is fairly easy but great for finger exercise. :D

It's very popular right now, but I'm working on Chopin's Nocturne in C Sharp Minor (boy, Chopin must've had huge hands). That's a very difficult piece.

Has he done any of the Bach preludes yet? They're reasonably challenging for an intermediate pianist, and are also very popular if you're going to play weddings or do any church work whatsoever.

My DD is in primer, so somehow, I don't think her repertoire list would help much!

Allie just finished a part of The Well Tempered Clavier, and is currently working on The Clock by Czerny and a short version of Rondo Alla Turca by Mozart. She's starting the longer version sometime in the next few weeks.

I don't know how to tell someone how much experience my dd12 has playing piano. She's a fairly good student that has been taking lessons for over a year. But we see it's really about dedication and perseverence. So I don't know how to compare her pieces to someone else's pieces. I'm not musical. :)

My 14 yo dd is about 3/4 of the way through Clementi's Sonatina Op. 36, first movement, and would like to get some ideas for what to tackle next.

So, what's "on the piano" at your house now? Or, what are some favorite pieces your dc has already learned?

My daughter played the three movements of Clementi's Sonatina Op. 36 awhile ago. Immediately after, she played the Chopin Prelude in B Minor (the "heartbeat" piece), followed by several songs (All I ask of You and Masquerade as well as the theme) from Phantom of the Opera that she wanted to learn.

She's currently working on the Moonlight Sonata that everyone here is suggesting. It's a lovely brooding piece and while the first movement is technically not too difficult, getting the dynamics and phrasing just right is challenging.

She's working on a song called Waterfall by John Schmidt just for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCFzEOQqTOg

She's also the accompanist for her little brother's Suzuki violin class which she is really enjoying. This is a great experience for her.

My other son is working on Martha Mier's Just Stuttin' Along.

Dd, (15) is currently working on "The Stranger", by Schumann; "October", by Tchaikovsky, and "Impromptu #4", by Chopin.

I have no idea how these compare to what your dd is doing. I have no musical training. But they are lovely! Especially the Chopin piece. :001_smile:

Mine is only nine. He's working on a short Suzuki piece called Cradle Song. Very pretty. And he's composing his own piece called Little Finches. LOL It's actually quite pretty and flitty like the finches outside the window.

It's fun reading what your older students are playing. And I so enjoy hearing the pieces that our piano teacher's teen students play. So pretty and they all have their own flair. :)

Cat

Dd quit taking lessons last year :( . As I was reading this thread, my printer started spitting out the piano music to Linkin Park's "What I've Done". Yes, she still plays, but now it is contemporary rock n' roll. Sigh.

ETA And, oh, here is Green Day's Time of Your Life. Another big sigh.

Edited by LauraGB

My daughter is playing at a piano festival next Saturday. Here is the program.

Prelude #1 by Gershwin

Rustles of Spring by Sinding

Sonata by Soler

First Arabesque by Debussy

My dd9 takes Suzuki lessons, and the Clementi Sonatina Op. 36 is in the beginning of Suzuki book 3 - she played that earlier this year.

The pieces that come after that are a Bach Minuet in G Major, Sonatina in C major op. 55 #1 by Kuhlau, Theme from Symphony #3 "Eroica" Op. 55, 4th movement by Beethoven.

My dd's teacher also has her working parallel in another series called Mastering the Piano -the Clementi's also in there at the end of Book 2. My dd's been working at the beginning of Book 3 - Grand Waltz by Clementi, Sontaina in C Major by Scarlatti and next is Etude in G Minor by Gurlitt.

My other dd11 also takes piano, but is working in a totally different repetoire, as it was bad having them both doing the same progression. She's been playing Scherzo by Carl Maria von Weber, Toccatina by Kabalevsky, Op. 27 #7, March in G Major by Carl Phillip Bach, and next is Etude by Kabalevsky Op. 27 #3.

Edited by matroyshka

My other dd11 also takes piano, but is working in a totally different repetoire, as it was bad having them both doing the same progression.

That sounds like a good plan. Minimizes competition and encourages them to develop their individual style and taste.

Thanks for all the wonderful responses! Dd and I enjoyed "you tube-ing" many of the pieces mentioned in this thread.

Her instructor encourages her to compile names of pieces that appeal to her and bring them in to discuss which may be appropriate for her current level.

There is some beautiful music being played by WTM kids!

Guest Katia

My dd17 just finished auditions where she played:

Handel's Sonatina in A Minor

and

Grieg's Wedding Day at Troldhaugen

She is keeping those current and working on other songs that she has done in the past to present a senior recital next month.