Menu

TOG age question

LAmom

What age were your children or child when they started TOG? Is it too much for a 7 yo and 5 yo (my school kids next year)? I have 4 kids who would eventually be in the cycle. Should I wait a bit--a long bit? I was going to try MFW Adv next year. But, TOG looks so great and sounds like what I want, too.

I have been reading how rigorous it is, etc., but not sure if this is just for the older years. Not worth the investment right now?

I started TOG with a 6 year old. I love it and am glad that I started when I did. I didn't use every part of TOG (and still don't) but I knew that was the direction that I wanted to go so I took the plunge. Next year we will start with Yr 1 again and it will DS 9 second time through. I'm looking forward to it. :)

In my opinion it is worth the investment if you know you want to use it later. TOG is rigorus but I wouldn't say it is in the LG years. DS 9 is in UG and has been doing fine it. Ds 6 is in the LG and this is his first year through it and he has done very well. The LG books are right on and very age appropriate.

hth

I wish I had known about it sooner so my older kids could have been using it in the earlier years. If you look at the sample schedules on the website they even show a sample of a schedule working at half pace if you get it and think it is too much for their ages.

I used TOG this year with 6 yo and 4 yo tagging along. We love it! A couple things I would keep in mind:

1. Is it going to bother you to spend that much money on a reading list with a few suggested activities? It doesn't bother me because I know I will use it later but that is really all it is for lower grammar. The "meat" of the program comes dialectic stage and up. MFW isn't free :001_smile: and if you want to buy TOG later anyway then why not now?

2. Do you think you will have a hard time ignoring/filtering the huge amount of information Tapestry will give you? It seems to me that a lot of people who use TOG with youngers get overwhelmed by scheduling, planning, reading the Teacher Notes, etc. TOG can be soooooooo easy to use but if you cannot filter down to what is appropriate for a 7 and 5 year old than TOG is probably not for you.

HTH! I love Tapestry but don't want to see someone get burned out by it now and therefore miss out on using it later.

What age were your children or child when they started TOG? Is it too much for a 7 yo and 5 yo (my school kids next year)? I have 4 kids who would eventually be in the cycle. Should I wait a bit--a long bit? I was going to try MFW Adv next year. But, TOG looks so great and sounds like what I want, too.

I have been reading how rigorous it is, etc., but not sure if this is just for the older years. Not worth the investment right now?

At those ages you can do TOG, but you won't really use the parts that make TOG worth the cost. UNLESS. Unless you will be disciplined to do the R level study yourself, as is suggested. If you like to see where you are going and be one step ahead of your student, then TOG would be right up your alley.

Otherwise it can be a lot of work to do the same thing you would do with another more scheduled program. I am a compulsive planner, who changed every schedule program I ever used. For me TOG was more of the same, and I started TOG when my oldest was finishing 3rd grade.

Heather

I used TOG this year with 6 yo and 4 yo tagging along. We love it! A couple things I would keep in mind:

1. Is it going to bother you to spend that much money on a reading list with a few suggested activities? It doesn't bother me because I know I will use it later but that is really all it is for lower grammar. The "meat" of the program comes dialectic stage and up. MFW isn't free :001_smile: and if you want to buy TOG later anyway then why not now?

2. Do you think you will have a hard time ignoring/filtering the huge amount of information Tapestry will give you? It seems to me that a lot of people who use TOG with youngers get overwhelmed by scheduling, planning, reading the Teacher Notes, etc. TOG can be soooooooo easy to use but if you cannot filter down to what is appropriate for a 7 and 5 year old then TOG is probably not for you.

:iagree:

I am using TOG with a 7yo and a 10yo. I am really glad I started with them this young. I concur with previous poster that the real meat, and the blossoming will happen more during the Dialectic and Rhetoric stages. But I could not be happier with how much my children already know. TOG in the lower levels is all about setting up those foundations that WTM talks about. We have really picked and chosen out of the TOG buffet here in Year1, so that is REALLY IMPORTANT. They have so much time later to dive down deep later. That doesn't mean it is light or that they are not learning "enough." My children know more about ancient history, the middle east, Greek mythology, and Old Testament history than most average adults. So I would say, dive in, trust the process, and overall, don't try to do it all.