Menu

Please compare Videotext and Thinkwell Algebra.

I'm weeding through all the past discussions of these 2 programs. This would be for my upcoming 9th grade dd. She is a nonmathy kid and WILL NOT be going into a math or science field (more than likely will go to an art school.) Thanks!

You can get a free demo DVD of VideoText to see what it's like. We did for my eldest, but didn't end up going with a lecture course.

My artsy, history loving middle dd, who may end up going to art school, loves Life of Fred Beginning Algebra, although I realize you're looking at math with video teaching, but thought I'd mention this due to similar interests. She likes the story, the humour and the drawings in LoF. Plus, you can colour it in yourself if your mother lets you (I don't, because ds is going to use the book someday. He likes the Fractions book a great deal.)

Thanks Karin. I realize my original post was buried under pages and pages of other posts. I do have LOF beginning algebra. Unfortunately it didn't work for her. The explanations just weren't clear enough and many of the solutions were not worked out, just the answer was given. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Thanks Karin. I realize my original post was buried under pages and pages of other posts. I do have LOF beginning algebra. Unfortunately it didn't work for her. The explanations just weren't clear enough and many of the solutions were not worked out, just the answer was given. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I understand. I put the threads in a different order to find any unanswered ones I might be able to help with.

Here's what we have done for Algebra 1 in our house with my eldest.

1. Jacobs. Too boring for her tastes. She doesn't like gentle programs.

2. Lial's. She liked it overall. It is structured, and there are DVDs with lectures--you could check the high school forum, and, in particular, Jann in TX since she teaches math and likes Lial's.

3. TT--too boring and slow for her, but my middle dd likes the humour.

4. Dolciani, older. Great program, but it's tough to find the solution guide for the 1965 one. However, the solutions are given there. You might do well with one from 1970 or 1975.

5. Gelfand's. Long, long problems. Dd has never finished this, although it's my favourite.