Menu

Wordsmith, LLATL and Writing Strands dilema! Please help me

My 6th grader is currently using Wordsmith Apprentice.

She will do Tan for 7th and God willing we like it, continue with the rest. My 9th grader did Wordsmith this year, and I plan on having her do LLATL Gold and I just purchased Craftsman for her to start in 10th.

If this is ALL you ever use...is that enough? I am going crazy with writing decisions. I plan on getting a WriteSouce student handbook for reference.

I did plan on using Writing Strands, but I can see how someone might get a bit impatient with it, and say "hey I wanna just learn how to write papers"! LOL

So I am torn. My oldest, going into 10th grade just started using Writing Strands 5 and it makes her THINK! She is an excellent writer and wow, it does make you think ALOT about how you word sentences etc..

So basically would it be too much to use ALL of the above?

WS is a one. sem course so I guess I could use it along side slowly. I love them ALL!

What would you do?

Have any of you had 2 or 3 writing curriculums going on at once.

Not every day, but kinda using them all together sort of...well you get the picture!

My 6th grader is currently using Wordsmith Apprentice.

She will do Tan for 7th and God willing we like it, continue with the rest. My 9th grader did Wordsmith this year, and I plan on having her do LLATL Gold and I just purchased Craftsman for her to start in 10th.

If this is ALL you ever use...is that enough? I am going crazy with writing decisions. I plan on getting a WriteSouce student handbook for reference.

I did plan on using Writing Strands, but I can see how someone might get a bit impatient with it, and say "hey I wanna just learn how to write papers"! LOL

So I am torn. My oldest, going into 10th grade just started using Writing Strands 5 and it makes her THINK! She is an excellent writer and wow, it does make you think ALOT about how you word sentences etc.

So basically would it be too much to use ALL of the above?

IMHO, yes!!

WS is a one. sem course so I guess I could use it along side slowly. I love them ALL!

The author assumed that the other semester would be reading/literature (or that users would alternate between reading/literature and composition).

What would you do?

I'd use Writing Strands.

Have any of you had 2 or 3 writing curriculums going on at once.

Not every day, but kinda using them all together sort of...well you get the picture!

That would make me a crazy person, lol.

My dd in gr 9 is doing Wordsmith, and I was planning to use Wordsmith Apprentice next year, but she has said that she doesn't want to use this 2 years in a row. I'm looking at a literary based writing program (but not the same one as you, I'm looking at Smarr and another one, but won't choose both) that will tie in with her American History course next year. If our budget it too tight, though, we'll go with Wordsmith Craftsman.

I think we need something besides Wordsmith, because the one we have is all creative writing.

We used Writing Strands back when my eldest was in grades 3 & 4, but not since. It didn't go over that well, but then my eldest ended up hating assigned writing with any course. My ds is doing Wordsmith Apprentice along with my middle dd. We have WriteShop (not one you're looking at, of course) because I tried it with my eldest, but it was too teacher intensive for her. My middle one may do this next year, but I'm not sure yet.