Menu

AoPS Algebra - How much time do you spend

flmochamom

We are currently using AoPS Intro to Algebra with my 13 yo. We both are enjoying it, but I am wondering how long others spend on daily lessons. My ds spends about 30 minutes daily, then we review, then done.

Sometimes this seems as though he could be moving a little faster, as the online class (which we are not taking) moves much faster than this.

Thanks.

We are using it also along with the geometry book. My ds did LOF Beginning Algebra in 7th and I want him to have a good review before taking the ACT - hence our use of AoPS Algebra.

Ds spends about 30 minutes per lesson - some less but I think that's because it is review for him at this point. I think one could easily move more quickly esp. at the beginning of the book.

I'm not too interested in moving him along too quickly so we just do a lesson in algebra and a lesson in geometry per day. But for his brother who is using a different program, I require that he work for 50-60 minutes per day. If one were to do that with AoPS, one would get through the book more quickly. I think it just depends on your goals.

Thanks for the reply. We own, but did not really use LOF Algebra, that might be something to consider doing tag-team, once AoPS gets a little more challenging.

Just for classification, do you just work for 30 minutes, no matter how many problems he does, or does it take 30 minutes for you son to do a section?'

Thanks.

No, he does a complete section each day - it just usually takes only about 30 minutes. He has had some sections that only take 10-15 minutes, but those are the ones he already knows well. I can't think of a time it has taken him more than 30 minutes for any section in algebra - but that's certainly not the case for the geometry.

I have used both ways with the boys - by section or by time. At this point, with the boys doing both geometry and algebra, I'm mostly using the "by the section" scheduling.