Menu

More Grammar after 8th: Stay with R&S for High School review or change programs?

I just ordered R&S English for eighth grade for my oldest for next year. I realize that during the course of next year, I will need to choose which English program to use for review (and I will want some review) for the high school years. I know that many here change from R&S after eighth when doing just review in high school. Do some of you change English programs because the R&S grade 9 & 10 English books do not make good grammar review books? I've been wondering why those who have had success with R&S in the past choose to change programs after level eight. I haven't seen the 9 & 10 books other than the samples that are online.

If anyone can give me some "food for thought" as to why I might (or might not) want to change from R&S for solely review in high school I would greatly appreciate it!

I don't know if I'm asking this question because R&S works well for us and I'd like to stay with what is comfortable, or if I'm asking because I'd like to put R&S behind us after eighth and do a happy jig like I've never done before! :001_smile:

Thanks a million for any thoughts and/or advice!

AmeliaBinMO

We have stayed with R&S through 10th now. In the 10th grade book there are at least 4 chapters about writing, and one about reference materials, and then one about parliamentary procedure, (I can't remember the rest off the top of my head) so it is not all grammar at all. I find the material interesting though and so does he.

My ds3 has done very well with the program and scored well on the trial PSAT so I cannot say we have any problem. He did do Advanced Comp with Laurel Tree in 9th grade but that is his only "outside the program" English exposure. He seems to remember almost all the grammar even though we didn't get to finish each book before the 8th grade level.

HTH,

Joan