Menu

Starting English/grammar mid year with 1st grader, please help...

Brin

I will be homeschooling my two sons for the remainder of the school year (actually, through the summer), starting in April. I have done quite a bit of research on different curriculum and have purchased most of what we will be using. My sons are in the 1st and 4th grades. I purchased R&S English 4 for my 4th grader and I am really excited about using it--it looks great. However, I bought FLL for my 1st grader, and I just am not liking the layout of it. I think what I want is a reader/text for my son to use like R&S provides, in addition to the TM. Since R&S doesn't have a 1st grade English book, and I already purchased our spelling, copywork/handwriting, and phonics books separately, I don't know what part of the 1st grade R&S curriculum I should order if I want it for my younger son. Please give me any advice you can. I can take the other materials back if it is worth it to get the whole 1st grade reading series. Also, would I need to start with unit 1 & 2, or should I start with units 3 & 4, or even 5 since he's already been in school since last August? Thanks for any help you can offer!!!

I used the second grade R&S English for both of my girls in first grade. They have enjoyed it. Though I have to admit I'm not sure what I'm going to do when they get through with the 10th grade level in 9th grade, but I have time to figure that one out.

Good luck.

Marsha

If you plan to stick with R&S English 2 next school year there isn't really a need for your first grader to do grammar this year. I'd put the focus on his phonics/reading, copywork and math to finish out this year. For placement I'd use chapter reviews as daily assignments until he gets stuck on one, then back up and start with that section.

I agree with everyone else, that since you have spelling, phonics, and handwriting already, that would be enough to finish off your 1st grade. You would be able to move seamlessly into R&S English 2 w/no problem. It starts at the beginning.

However, if you did want to get a reader/text for 1st, what you would need from their Bible Nurture and Reader series would be the Readers, Reading workbooks, and T.Ms. There are 5 units, so you have to get each component for all of the units you are doing. The T.M. also covers phonics, but you just won't use that part. Then there are additional worksheets. They cover a variety of skills and complement the Bible stories in the readers. The last unit of worksheets is all dictionary work.

I forgot the last question, which unit should you start with? It depends on how good of a reader he is. The first reader is VERY basic, using pictures in place of words, and only a few sentences. The 2nd one picks up the pace. I would look at samples and see which you think would be his best starting place. And I forgot to mention the flashcards in my last post. You can purchase their words and phrases cards to go with the program too. You wouldn't need the phonics ones. FWIW, I used the 1st grade before w/out the flashcards at all with a good reader, and I am just making my own this time for my current K/1st grader. The T.M tells you which you need for the lesson and I quickly write them out before we start on index cards.

I wouldn't worry about grammar with a first grader...in fact, I wouldn't feel compelled to do the 2nd grade book, either. None of my kids started grammar till 3rd grade. Older two did R&S books 3-8 and we called grammar: "done." R&S is very thorough. Really, if you do books 3-8 (or 4 for your older ds) they'll get all the grammar they need.

:iagree:

I wouldn't worry about grammar with a first grader...in fact, I wouldn't feel compelled to do the 2nd grade book, either. None of my kids started grammar till 3rd grade. Older two did R&S books 3-8 and we called grammar: "done." R&S is very thorough. Really, if you do books 3-8 (or 4 for your older ds) they'll get all the grammar they need.

You could have a lot of fun with grammar for a 6'er if you did the Grammar Rock video and checked out some library books--Heller is the author, I believe--that give examples of the parts of speech. Copywork should cover punctuation and capitalization.

A Cache of Jewels (collective nouns)

Here are some others that are GREAT--by Cleary