Menu

High school math sequence

What do you do after Algebra 2? My dd will dual enroll for HS math, and I need a plan. What are some of your favorite curricula? We used Foerster for Algebra 1 and will use it for Algebra 2 next year. She is in Geometry (UCSMP) at school this year, and hates it.

This is the sequence our local district uses. Is this standard?

Functions, Statistics, and Trig.

Pre-Calculus and Discrete Math

Advanced Placement Calculus (AB and BC)

Statistics is an elective.

Edited by Perry

Are you asking about which course she should take when dual enrolled? Or are you wondering which courses she should take before dual enrollment? What grade will she be in when dual enrolled?

My oldest 2 began dual enrollment as juniors. They took College Algebra for their first dual enrollment math. The oldest went on to take trig and then calculus 1 at the college level before graduating from high school. The second is currently in college algebra and will continue with trig in the fall and calc 1 in the spring 2011. Both dss had completed through the basic Alg. 1, Alg. 2, and geometry courses before dual enrollment.

In our area, college algebra is the first math course the dual enrolled students may take. They are not allowed to take any of the remedial math courses and all the other maths we've looked at require college algebra as a prereq.

Sorry, I wasn't clear about that. Here, dual enrollment means part time homeschooling. She will go to ps for most of her classes but will do math (and maybe a couple other classes) at home. We homeschooled for 5 years, but she went back to ps this year for 7th grade. Beginning next year, she wants to do math at home.

My main question is that after Alg 2, our ps requires 2 years of math before starting Calculus. I was under the impression that most homeschoolers do one year of precalc, then calculus. I was hoping to hear if anyone is doing this sequence

Functions, Statistics, and Trig.

Pre-Calculus and Discrete Math

Advanced Placement Calculus (AB and BC)

instead of one year of precalculus, then calculus.

Our ps uses UCSMP, which neither of us likes. I like the idea of taking two years before starting calculus, because I don't really want her to finish calc in 10th grade, but I don't know if there are any other curricula that do this sequence.

For those that do AP calc, can you take it after one year of precalc, or

would you do a year of regular calc then a year of AP calc?

What do your kids do for math if they finish calculus early?