Menu

Latin question...

My dd is using Oxford Latin I this year and will be finished in May. Could she jump into Henle Latin Year 2 (which begins with unit 3 according to Memoria Press)?

Or-- would it be better for her to begin Henle at the beginning?

I plan on using the guide books that come with the program.

Thanks!

Hi Michelle,

I'm not familiar with Cambridge Latin, but we are Henle users.

From the way you posed your question, I'm wondering if you have some confusion over the way Henle is set up.

The Henle First Year book contains 14 units, the first 7 of which make up a typical high school Latin I course.

Memoria Press sell syllabi for Henle Latin that they call:

Henle Latin I Study Guide and Lesson Plan for Units I & II

Henle Latin I Study Guide and Lesson Plan for Units III - V

These syllabi schedule the specified units over one year each. You can see that if you followed these syllabi, your student would only cover units I through V in 2 years. So in 2 years with these syllabi, you wouldn't get through the equivalent of high school Latin I. Memoria Press advertises these syllabi for students as young as 5th graders because the slower pace is needed for younger students.

If you want to use Henle and cover Units I - VII in one year for high school, then you can buy a syllabus written by Mother of Divine Grace School (available from http://www.allcatholicbooks.com) that will schedule out units I - VII over one school year.

I'm not sure where in Henle you'd place your dd, but here are the topics covered in Units I - VII so you can get an idea:

Unit I -- all 5 noun declensions

Unit II -- all 3 adjective declensions

Unit III -- all 4 verb conjugations in active (present, imperfect, future, perfect, pluperfect, and future perfect), irregular verb sum, and personal pronouns

Unit IV -- additional nouns & adjectives of 1st & 2nd declensions

Unit V -- all 4 verb conjugations in passive voice

Unit VI -- subjunctive (present & imperfect), purpose clauses, relative clauses

Unit VII -- direct questions, perfect subjunctive

Henle's approach is heavy on the grammar and light on vocabulary.

HTH,

Brenda