Menu

easiest chemistry program??? x-post on SN board

My 16 yod with mixed LD struggles with all math, yet she wants to do Chemistry for next year. Is it possible to read the Apologia text and do the experiments without doing any of the math? I could grade only the experiments maybe?

Is there another chemistry that is really easy and yet with some experiments?

Thanks again,

Pam

RS4K II has a jr. high Chem course with only a little math. Conceptual Chemistry has virutally no math, but it's designed for liberal arts majors in college. The Chem Alive! lectures are a lot of fun and come with it if you buy the 3rd edition. There was some math with the MicroChem labs we did, though.

Is it possible to read the Apologia text and do the experiments without doing any of the math?

Sadly, no.

Older DS is doing Apologia Chemistry now. It is all about math and the chemical equations. Disappointing, there are very few experiments. Maybe 1 per chapter (16 chapters).

For ideas for a very gentle Chemistry, check out this recent past thread: "Chemistry: Not Rigorous, Please": http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157770

My oldest son has done Apologia Chemistry and my twins (10th grade next year) will do it, too. There are more than 16 experiments, as my oldest son did 20 for the year and there were even more from which to choose. I can pull out the text if you want an exact number. We liked it - my oldest went on to Chemistry I and II for science majors at the CC (engineering transfer degree program) and will take Chemistry III next quarter. There is a lot of math in Apologia Chemistry, though.

Kimm

My oldest son has done Apologia Chemistry and my twins (10th grade next year) will do it, too. There are more than 16 experiments, as my oldest son did 20 for the year and there were even more from which to choose. I can pull out the text if you want an exact number. We liked it - my oldest went on to Chemistry I and II for science majors at the CC (engineering transfer degree program) and will take Chemistry III next quarter. There is a lot of math in Apologia Chemistry, though.

Kimm

I apologize, Kimm. Did not mean to offend or "run down" Apologia Chemistry, or anyone using it. :)

You are right! There are a total of 29 experiments. I had based my "1 experiment a chapter" figure on where we are currently in the text, (chap. 10), and what we'd covered in the past few months -- the past 5 chapters averaged 1 experiment per chapter (chapters 5,6,9 each had 1 experiment; chapter had 7 had 2 experiments; chapter 8 had none). I do see that the first 4 chapters had more experiments, and that the chapters ahead of us do have more experiments.

Also, my response was based on our own perception of what "a lot of experiments" are. We have always enjoyed a LOT of hands-on science, and averaged 2-3 experiments a week, so we typically would do 70-90 experiments a year. So 29 experiments seems disappointing to us, because of our past level.

Apologia is a solid program; IMO, it's just not a good match for what the original poster was looking for. Warmest regards, Lori D.