Menu

Yoga to help with ADHD? motor skills?

I received a random brochure for a nearby yoga center; as I glanced it over, on my way to the recycling bin, one paragraph caught my eye. It had to do with yoga classes for children which she says this:

"Time to be free of those ADD/ADHD labels! Offering breath awareness experiences to calm and center children. Combining creative and traditional yoga with easy cross-over movements to enhance focus, balance and attention...."

Wow, I says to myself, my ds could really use this. I've heard of cross-over exercises but haven't used any. I'm interested in finding out more about this. He especially needs help with fine motor skills as well as that whole focus thing. The brochure doesn't mention anything about motor skills, but I've heard people like Dianne Craft say that cross-over exercises help with handwriting/fine motor.

Have any of you done this type of thing for focus and attention? for motor skills? What has been your experience?

Thanks!!

The clinic I took my son to for his psychoeducational testing also offers some counseling and therapy. One of their programs is Yoga Calm. At $180 for five sessions, I would want to be very sure my child would benefit. Honestly, he's such a goofy, clumsy kid that I think he would fall over and laugh the whole time. Maybe I'll have him try a yoga class via cable and see how he likes it.