Menu

College Financial Aid Form

We briefly filled it in - but expect to send a much more detailed letter to the few schools in which ds is truly interested, after we get all the financial aid packets from them. So far, only ONE school has offered aid that goes BELOW the EFC as determined by FAFSA. And - they knew in advance (we were upfront about it) that ds has a twin with autism who we have to save money for, etc. (and whose therapy bills from ten years ago we are STILL paying off).

There just isn't much room on the FAFSA form to note much of anything. Better to finish the thing, then write/talk to the college financial aid office.

Wait wait wait! Where is the supplement and the special circumstances? We did ours (dd and I are both in college), but I thought we'd just wait til our new terms (hers in July and mine in Sept) to apply for special circumstances through the college (which would also give us time to see if we really should have special circumstances especially since it turns out that we got this this year when we shouldn't have (not that we knew that was going to be the case, of course, but....).

Anyway, so whatcha talkin' about?

Wait wait wait! Where is the supplement and the special circumstances? We did ours (dd and I are both in college), but I thought we'd just wait til our new terms (hers in July and mine in Sept) to apply for special circumstances through the college (which would also give us time to see if we really should have special circumstances especially since it turns out that we got this this year when we shouldn't have (not that we knew that was going to be the case, of course, but....).

Anyway, so whatcha talkin' about?

It only shows up on some, one college had it, the other did not. It is a small line towards the end. I still have four more to fill out, probably.

We briefly filled it in - but expect to send a much more detailed letter to the few schools in which ds is truly interested, after we get all the financial aid packets from them. So far, only ONE school has offered aid that goes BELOW the EFC as determined by FAFSA. And - they knew in advance (we were upfront about it) that ds has a twin with autism who we have to save money for, etc. (and whose therapy bills from ten years ago we are STILL paying off).

There just isn't much room on the FAFSA form to note much of anything. Better to finish the thing, then write/talk to the college financial aid office.

Just to clarify, do you attach letter to financial aid supplement by college or do you wait for their financial aid package. So far they have only asked for fafsa and fin. aid supplement which are just two lil pps.

I don't understand. Why would a letter be written AFTER the acceptance and financial aid letter came? We have special circumstances, too, but I don't know how to communicate this to the college without their dismissing us for obviously not knowing the protocol.

Sandy

Eldest ds college has extra financial aid for those that do not qualify for merit. They want to know about families with children with special needs, parents with medical needs, etc. They make it clear that having lots of credit card debt is not a special circumstance unless there is some kind of special need, like a disability, to back it up. Thankfully, ds qualified for merit scholarships so it wasn't an issue.