Menu

Any experience with Interactive Metronome?

My two oldest daughters just finished five weeks of interactive metronome (3 times a week).. I am seeing FABULOUS results with attention, memory, coordination, processing, etc.. I highly recommend it.

We are going to start again in a couple of weeks just doing it once a week.. Just to keep the gains we are seeing. My 12yr old made a 95 on her math assignment the other day and she has never made higher than an 86... She usually gets C's or D's in Math.. She says she has a much easier time with focus, attention, and concentration now. And my 9yr old is reading non-stop now and reading MUCH faster than she used to. I am very pleased with the results. Both girls have gifted IQ's along with some learning disabilities and attention issues.

This week they started brain builder games and Makoto with the same psychologist. Can't wait to see what this brings!

Edited by Misty

Guest learning2b

I have an 8 year old also and we just started using a program called Wowza Brain and LOVE it.. I have seen leaps and bounds in just one month.

My son was having a hard time blending, no matter what I tried he would still sound it out and switch up letters, sounds. This program has them do short little drills to a beat. I have him stand when he does it, I print off the pages with the drills, put them in a protective sleeve, and he can move his hips, tap his foot, bob his head with the beat as he does the drills.

It seemed a bit pricey but I was about to pull my hair out because everything I did or tried before this left us both very frustrated. They actually call you and check in on you, you can call them any time you have a question or stumbling block. Check it out and see what you think.

http://wowzabrain.com/accounts/

I have an 8 year old also and we just started using a program called Wowza Brain and LOVE it.. I have seen leaps and bounds in just one month.

My son was having a hard time blending, no matter what I tried he would still sound it out and switch up letters, sounds. This program has them do short little drills to a beat. I have him stand when he does it, I print off the pages with the drills, put them in a protective sleeve, and he can move his hips, tap his foot, bob his head with the beat as he does the drills.

It seemed a bit pricey but I was about to pull my hair out because everything I did or tried before this left us both very frustrated. They actually call you and check in on you, you can call them any time you have a question or stumbling block. Check it out and see what you think.

http://wowzabrain.com/accounts/

With this program, is the child connected to the computer in any way so that the computer gives feedback? With IM, the student wears a sensor and the computer measures the response down to the millisecond and lets her know if she's going too fast, too slow, or just right. The feedback was essential for my dd because she had no sense of rhythm or timing. She is honestly one of the worst IM patients our OT practice has ever seen, but she has made great progress. We use the rhythm exercises on the Wii Fit for reinforcement, but they don't measure the responses as precisely as the IM, and I don't think that by itself, Wii Fit would have significantly helped my dd.

I'm not trying to bash Wowza, so I hope it doesn't come across that way. I just wanted to point out that some kids will need the feedback that IM provides (and perhaps Wowza does, too; I only looked at the website briefly).

Lizzie,

Do you mind me asking..how much per session are you paying for IM and how long are the sessions ? Also how many days per week do you have to go and how long do they expect your dtr to do IM?

Thanks ..your advice and experience in the past has been most helpful and encouraging to me.

Virginia

Lizzie,

Do you mind me asking..how much per session are you paying for IM and how long are the sessions ? Also how many days per week do you have to go and how long do they expect your dtr to do IM?

Thanks ..your advice and experience in the past has been most helpful and encouraging to me.

Virginia

IM is part of my dd's OT, so it's covered by insurance. Her entire session is 45 minutes. They initially said they'd want to do 3 sessions per week for 8 weeks. Then they evaluated her and changed their minds. She was so bad at IM, and with her ADHD, they knew she couldn't tolerate 3 sessions/week. She just does it once a week instead, but she's been doing it since July. We started seeing results in the fall and we've seen steady improvement since then.

• 2 weeks later...

We saw wonderful gains for my son (younger one) when we did it. We finished OT back in Sept. I'd like him to do IM again, but he is adamantly against ANY more OT of any kind...he wants to be "normal" so we're still doing vision therapy and will hold off on any other OT for awhile.

if your insurance is covering IM based on an ADHD diagnosis?

Our insurance will not cover it as they deem motor incoordination etc as developmental and educational. Sigh...

Our insurance is covering it as part of her OT, which I think is more related to the SPD diagnosis than ADHD, although IM is supposed to be good for kids with ADHD, too.