Menu

Trying to score an SAT practice test...

My 11th grader is taking the SAT on May 1st. We're working through a prep book and he's finished a practice test. However, the book (Kaplan) doesn't tell us how to figure out the score.:confused:

Any help on how to figure out how his raw scores would translate?

TIA,

In the book we're using, the scoring sheet is right after the first practice test. Have you checked there? If it's not in your book, I'd be happy to give you the info from the one I'm using - it's just a bit of typing. :tongue_smilie: I'm afraid I'll start, and then you'll find what you're looking for. :lol:

Found the Kaplan SAT book. Look in the Chapter contents. Under Section Six: Practice Tests and Explanation' date=' go to Compute your Score. If it's missing in your book, just let me know and I'll post it here. :001_smile:[/quote']

I have Kaplan 2010-2011 Premier Edition. There is no "Compute Your Score" section in Section 6. It just has answer sheets, questions and explanations. I've looked through every page. Not much of a "premier edition" if there's no way to compute the score.:lol: I've looked through the entire book several times.:confused:

Don't worry about posting it. That's way to much trouble to go to. I know he's doing well. He only missed 9 questions on the entire test (sections 2-9). He's trying to break 2200 so I was just trying to get an idea how close he's getting.

Edited by CAMom

I have Kaplan 2010-2011 Premier Edition. There is no "Compute Your Score" section in Section 6. It just has answer sheets, questions and explanations. I've looked through every page. Not much of a "premier edition" if there's no way to compute the score.:lol: I've looked through the entire book several times.:confused:

Don't worry about posting it. That's way to much trouble to go to. I know he's doing well. He only missed 9 questions on the entire test (sections 2-9). He's trying to break 2200 so I was just trying to get an idea how close he's getting.

OT, but do you know that Princeton Review is offering a National Test Day whre your child can take a College Board released SAT test under real testing conditions for free on Saturday, April 20th, 2010?

Here's a link to a previous post: Free National Test Day.

Wow! I wouldn't be surprised if he's well beyond the 2200. :)

Total correct from sections 5 and 10 minus

total wrong from sections 5 and 10 divided by 4

that's your Grammar Raw Score

add

Essay Score (2-12) x 2

that's your Writing Raw Score

you have to use the chart to determine the score out of 800

(you can post or PM me if you like and I'll look it up for you)

Total Critical Reading Questions from 3,7 and 9

minus total wrong in 3,7 and 9 divided by 4

that's your Critical Reading Raw Score

Total Math correct section 9

plus

Total math correct from sections 2, 6 and 8

minus total wrong in 2,6 and 8 divided by 4

that's your Math Raw Score

This was less complicated than I thought. :lol:

If you let me know the numbers for each of the three sections raw scores, I'll look them up on the chart.

:001_smile:

Total correct from sections 5 and 10 minus

total wrong from sections 5 and 10 divided by 4

that's your Grammar Raw Score

Ours is section 6 and 9 and the raw score would be 45.25

add

Essay Score (2-12) x 2

that's your Writing Raw Score

I wouldn't venture to grade the essay.:)

Total Critical Reading Questions from 3' date='7 and 9

minus total wrong in 3,7 and 9 divided by 4

that's your Critical Reading Raw Score[/quote']

Our critical reading was sections 2, 4 and 7. The raw score would be 60.75.

Total Math correct section 9

plus

Total math correct from sections 2, 6 and 8

minus total wrong in 2,6 and 8 divided by 4

that's your Math Raw Score

Our math sections were 3, 5, and 8. Yours has 4 math sections? I guess your chart probably won't help then. We must have two separate books. At any rate, the math raw score was 52.75.

Our test had 9 sections total. Section 1 was the essay.

Thanks for helping.

I don't think the tests can be too different. This is the Princeton 2010 edition - just easier to read than the Kaplan. Apparently they number the sections differently, but I would think it would have to be identical in the number of sections for each.

This has four math sections. A total of 9 sections plus the essay - same as yours. The first math section you don't deduct for wrong answers, but you do deduct one fourth for the others. It's probably the section which isn't multiple choice for which there are no deductions for wrong answers.

Kaplan lists his reading score as 730 and math as 790. If you deducted any points for wrong answers in part of the math' date=' that could raise it to 800. Either way, he's well over the 2200 assuming that his essay would score reasonably well.[/quote']

Thank you for helping!:grouphug:

Yes, I'm confident that his essay will score well. He's a good writer and he has been a semi-finalist in impromptu speaking at a couple of speech and debate tournaments this year in which the speeches are structured very much like the SAT essay.

His big challenge on the essay will be the actual pencil to the paper exercise. He can type over 100 words per minute but his actual writing on paper is slow. I have him doing one essay a week right now to make sure he can turn one out in a timely fashion.

Oh, and I did deduct for one wrong answer in the grid in section for math. Is that the section that doesn't get the deduction? That one question is the only math question he missed on the test.

Thanks again!