Menu

Abdominal Separation?

Diastasis Recti is a separation of the long vertical muscles that runs down the middle of the abdomen, and get stretched by the abdomenal contents enlarging. This is very common as a result of pregnancy, especially twins, triplets, etc. It can also happen through weight gain, or something else growing in the abdomen. Usually it is identified at a post-partum visit. Babies can have it at birth due to their stage of developement. If a person is really concerned about it, treatment can be obtained by learning certain exercises through a Physical Therapist. Just doing a regular abdominal workout would not work, and may widen the weak area.

I remember going in for my first check-up when I found out I was pg w/#2 (10 week checkup) and I was FREAKED out that I could basically put my whole hand between my stomach muscles! She said that when I was done having children, I could have plastic surgery but it would be pointless to do anything until I was done having children. This is the longest I have gone btwn babies so far and it has healed pretty well (not all the way...)

So basically, nothing to "worry" about but don't expect to have a flat, smooth belly with it! :tongue_smilie:

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Have y'all heard of this lady's stuff: http://www.diastasisrehab.com/?

Comments? Reviews?

I love the book. I think the people who gave it low reviews do not really understand that the book is most useful for diastasis, not just a slack mommy tummy with loose muscles.

I found out about my diastisis when I started trying to get back in shape recently and got freaked out by the scary mountain ridge that popped up from stem to stern when I started doing crunches. (Do NOT do crunches, sit-ups, etc. if you have diastasis, as it will aggravate the problem.) I'm working on mine, slowly but surely and find the exercises in the book very useful. The video is available from Netflix but I haven't used it yet.

I had three (giant) babies in three years and my diastisis is severe. Still, I'm starting to see improvement. I will not do any surgery unless my health is at stake.

Or diastasis recti? Anybody know anything about this?

:bigear:

I had this after my first was born. I had it corrected during the c-section of my fourth child. Now that I am having number 5, I'll ask the dr to fix it if necessary if I end up going in for a c-section again. Recovery was more difficult, and I had more restrictions on things like the amount of weight I could carry, stairs, the amount of walking I was allowed to do. I was told to take it very easy for a minimum of 2 months.

Cindy

ETA: I just want to add that in my case, I did not have a tummy tuck. I still have the flab and stretch marks and loose skin from four-now five pregnancies. I would have to think really hard about a tummy tuck, because of the potentially unhealthy message it could send my daughters.

Edited by extendedforecast

I have it BAD (a 4 finger separation), have bought the tupler stuff, have seen 2 different surgeons about it, and am not going to have the surgery necessary to fix it. I saw a general surgeon and a plastic surgeon. Surgeons said that there is no way but surgery to bring it back together as the stretched part is the fascia, not muscle. Fascia cannot be strengthened but the muscles around it can be strengthened. I did some of the Tupler exercises for awhile and they did help me feel more toned/stronger, and my have helped my posture some, but that's it. The only surgery that corrects it is a tummy tuck, which is considered cosmetic, no matter how you look at it, and is done by a plastic surgeon, not a general surgeon. The tummy tuck is a very painful surgery with a lengthy recovery process. I am not overweight or anything, the combination of BIG babies and my anatomy made me carry like a torpedo :).

I had this after my first was born. I had it corrected during the c-section of my fourth child. Now that I am having number 5, I'll ask the dr to fix it if necessary if I end up going in for a c-section again. Recovery was more difficult, and I had more restrictions on things like the amount of weight I could carry, stairs, the amount of walking I was allowed to do. I was told to take it very easy for a minimum of 2 months.

Cindy

how did they fix it? did you get a tummy tuck??

I love the book. I think the people who gave it low reviews do not really understand that the book is most useful for diastasis, not just a slack mommy tummy with loose muscles.

I found out about my diastisis when I started trying to get back in shape recently and got freaked out by the scary mountain ridge that popped up from stem to stern when I started doing crunches. (Do NOT do crunches, sit-ups, etc. if you have diastasis, as it will aggravate the problem.) I'm working on mine, slowly but surely and find the exercises in the book very useful. The video is available from Netflix but I haven't used it yet.

I had three (giant) babies in three years and my diastisis is severe. Still, I'm starting to see improvement. I will not do any surgery unless my health is at stake.

Do you think this method would be helpful for someone like me? I've had two major surgeries with my abs being open from stem to stern (one was a c-section). My stomach feels like a jigsaw puzzle. I so miss flat abs.

I'm looking for the DVD on netflix now.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Do you think this method would be helpful for someone like me? I've had two major surgeries with my abs being open from stem to stern (one was a c-section). My stomach feels like a jigsaw puzzle. I so miss flat abs.

I'm looking for the DVD on netflix now.

I can imagine so. The most useful thing about the book for people with diastisis is that she doesn't put crazy stuff in the book that could further the problem. The exercises she does include would be useful for anyone though, as they're somewhat focused on the transverse and getting back to a strong core--good stuff for everyone.

how did they fix it? did you get a tummy tuck??

At one of my OB appointments, I showed my OB the gap between my abs, and asked about it. I wanted to know if it was something I needed to worry about. He casually said it was the separation of my abs, it was normal with pregnancy and that he could fix it in the OR. On my delivery day, right before he made the incision to get the baby, I reminded him about the abdominal muscles he was supposed to fix. After the baby was out, he repaired my uterus, then went on to the abs. He said that he was getting them really tight so I wouldn't have that problem again, and that I should be extremely careful not to over-exert myself for a while. After surgery, I was given a list of do's and don'ts. So while I don't know specifically what was done, I am grateful that my abs are back together. This pregnancy was a surprise; I was not planning on having any more children. God saw otherwise ;) So far, I have not had any separation.

I can imagine so. The most useful thing about the book for people with diastisis is that she doesn't put crazy stuff in the book that could further the problem. The exercises she does include would be useful for anyone though, as they're somewhat focused on the transverse and getting back to a strong core--good stuff for everyone.

Thanks, I couldn't find the DVD on netflix, but I put the book in my amazon cart.

I waited until the youngest was about 6, then had my abdomioplasty (is that the word) to have the big hernia from that almost 16-lb twin set repaired. Before, i could feel and see stuff moving down my intestines - creepy! As long as insurance was covering the surgery and anesthesia, we paid the doctor a bit more to also do a bit of a tummy tuck.

My diastasis happened when I was pregnant with #4. My doctor said to wait until I was done having babies and then get it fixed. So, after baby #6 and some pretty scary things beginning to happen in labor & delivery, we made the decision to go for it. So, a plastic surgeon did the repair work and tummy tucked at the same time. Recovery took 6 weeks. The first two weeks were really hard - couldn't stand up straight, drains (for a week, I think), no lifting, going up stairs, etc. The next two weeks I saw a lot of improvement. On the 6 week anniversary I went mountain biking. Before the surgery, I had nightly back pain. Now my back rarely hurts. Now we have had a baby since then, but an 8-year old via adoption. Plenty of challenges - but no diastasis! :) I'm 9 1/2 years out from the surgery now and don't regret it at all.

Thanks for bringing this up, Aubrey, and for linking that website. I have this problem, too, as well as a couple hernias from my last pregnancy, and I haven't really known what to do about them.

I was actually complaining to a friend that I can't go *anywhere* w/out *everyone* asking me when I'm due, & she sent me this blog post from a friend of hers. I checked myself, & sure enough, there's a 2 finger gap (although, given my figure, I'd have expected more), & then I made dh let me check him, to make sure there was something to it. (He had a no-finger gap, in case y'all are wondering, but really--go check your dh & compare. It's pretty (weirdly) interesting.) :lol:

I can't believe I don't know anything about this, have never heard of it...but I knew there was something wrong. I'd started wondering about wheat allergies or stomach cancer or something. Dh, who refuses to ever say ANYTHING about anybody's figure, had even gotten to the point that he was...kinda worried...if that makes sense.

I mean...I *do* need to lose weight, but it's disproportionately located, if that makes sense. And after #2, I lost all my baby weight, & still, w/...a *lot* of prep work, iykwim, the first question I was asked (in a nice suit at a job fair) was--"When are you due?"

I ordered the book today--book only, even though part of me wanted to order everything the lady sells, lol--& I hope to post a raving, drooling report soon. :001_huh: :lol:

Unfortunately, her website used the phrase "flat abs" & we all know that's a red flag for hype & lies. Otherwise, maybe I would have ordered everything! ;)

I have a two finger separation. It happened after the fourth. I have been able to close it almost all of the way. It was fairly easy to do, but it easily separates again. The Tupler Technique is a great method - she has you go to the bathroom a certain way and get up out of bed a certain way. If you don't do these things consistently, the separation will increase again! So frustrating, I know!

If you want to do it on your own, check out transverse abdominis exercises. This muscle acts like your inner girdle. These exercises are the same that Julie Tupler uses. Basically, suck your gut in - ALL THE TIME. Try to suck it all the way to your spine. Hold it. Then, suck it all the way back and release about half way and hold. Also, suck your gut in quickly 200 times a day. Perfect shower time routine! And red light routine!

NEVER exercise on your back - no matter what! T-Tapp was awesome for my diastasis recti and so is The Bar Method. The problem is that you need to keep that gut sucked in during exercising all the time. It's hard!

Anyway, they are my experiences. Here is a site that really helped me out before I found Tupler and T-Tapp. The site seems funky, but don't be concerned. The videos are really what I needed!

http://www.nowloss.com/how-to-get-flat-abs-fast.htm

Edited by lisabees

I have a huge separation, and have followed the exercises in the book for a couple of years. It did improve, but after 17 lb, 4 oz of twins and 3 other 9-10 lb babies before that, I have a huge separation and saggy skin. "twin skin" I also have a small hernia. I went to a plastic surgeon, but got freaked out a bit by the description of the recovery. I have to wait until my kids are older. Plus, insurance considers it cosmetic to actually have your muscles sewed back together. sigh... They said I could get a mesh bridge thingy put between instead (ick!)

I have a two finger separation. It happened after the fourth. I have been able to close it almost all of the way. It was fairly easy to do, but it easily separates again. The Tupler Technique is a great method - she has you go to the bathroom a certain way and get up out of bed a certain way. If you don't do these things consistently, the separation will increase again! So frustrating, I know!

If you want to do it on your own, check out transverse abdominis exercises. This muscle acts like your inner girdle. These exercises are the same that Julie Tupler uses. Basically, suck your gut in - ALL THE TIME. Try to suck it all the way to your spine. Hold it. Then, suck it all the way back and release about half way and hold. Also, suck your gut in quickly 200 times a day. Perfect shower time routine! And red light routine!

NEVER exercise on your back - no matter what! T-Tapp was awesome for my diastasis recti and so is The Bar Method. The problem is that you need to keep that gut sucked in during exercising all the time. It's hard!

Anyway, they are my experiences. Here is a site that really helped me out before I found Tupler and T-Tapp. The site seems funky, but don't be concerned. The videos are really what I needed!

http://www.nowloss.com/how-to-get-flat-abs-fast.htm

Interesting. I haven't read Tupler, but I keep my gut sucked in all the time. I just do it without thinking about it. I actually don't like the feeling of when I'm not holding in my gut. I feel like my insides are going to fall out. I like to feel the support from holding in my gut.

I found planks to be very effective at making you use your core muscles.

My second pregnancy hurt so bad due to the muscle separation. My third didn't hurt quite as much, but it was still not comfortable. I didn't have it with my first. I was told that because I had a c-section with my first that is what made it happen easier with my subsequent pgs. I've often told my dh I'd like to staple my muscles back together.

I'm curious...if these exercises work...I guess I don't really understand why the separation would increase again *easily* if you mess up. Is surgery the same way? Gosh--that would be awful!

But I guess I'm trying to visualize...since some dr's say that only surgery can solve the problem...& these exercises are easily undone...could it be that these exercises simply build the muscle that's left w/out fascilitating a reattachment? Iow, the exercises develop the muscles to give the "look" of attachment w/out actually achieving it?

Otherwise...I don't understand. Any other exercise done over a long period of time is not as easily undone as people seem to say these exercises are. Am I making sense? I'm genuinely curious, not frustrated. (Not yet anyway, lol!)

I have a huge separation, and have followed the exercises in the book for a couple of years. It did improve, but after 17 lb, 4 oz of twins and 3 other 9-10 lb babies before that, I have a huge separation and saggy skin. "twin skin" I also have a small hernia. I went to a plastic surgeon, but got freaked out a bit by the description of the recovery. I have to wait until my kids are older. Plus, insurance considers it cosmetic to actually have your muscles sewed back together. sigh... They said I could get a mesh bridge thingy put between instead (ick!)

My last 2 were 9.5lbs ea (& my 1st 2 weren't *much* smaller), & I'm 5'3" on a good day, lol. Worse--my legs are almost the same length as my 6' dh, so there's just no room in my torso for (BIG) babies--they go. straight. out. By the end of my last 2 pg's, I couldn't squeeze behind the steering wheel & reach the pedals at the same time.

So, now that I've heard of this condition, I'm thinking that there's almost no way I could have *not* had it, esp considering that the last 2 were back-to-back.

I mean...right? :confused:

I'm curious...if these exercises work...I guess I don't really understand why the separation would increase again *easily* if you mess up. Is surgery the same way? Gosh--that would be awful!

But I guess I'm trying to visualize...since some dr's say that only surgery can solve the problem...& these exercises are easily undone...could it be that these exercises simply build the muscle that's left w/out fascilitating a reattachment? Iow, the exercises develop the muscles to give the "look" of attachment w/out actually achieving it?

Otherwise...I don't understand. Any other exercise done over a long period of time is not as easily undone as people seem to say these exercises are. Am I making sense? I'm genuinely curious, not frustrated. (Not yet anyway, lol!)

Maybe this article can help explain it. There are also exercise descriptions here. http://www.newyorkfamily.com/newyork/article-139-the-mummy-tummy.html

Have you seen this? Julie Tupler has a FAQ page and on the top is a video in which you can see a bit of her technique.

http://www.diastasisrehab.com/diastasis.html

I was actually complaining to a friend that I can't go *anywhere* w/out *everyone* asking me when I'm due....

I mean...I *do* need to lose weight, but it's disproportionately located, if that makes sense.

Oh Aubrey, I can SO relate! I was in tears on the way home from church because I was asked when I was due...AGAIN!! I get asked all.the.time.

I am a size 8 and would like to lose 10-15 lbs. It's just that I have this stomach that is only in the front. I had diastisis w/my twins but the gap seems to be gone now, but I'm still left w/such a mess of an abdomen after twins and 2 c-sections. I will have to check this stuff out. I'm sure I've done many a crunch or ab workout incorrectly. I did have a physical therapist give me some tips after I had my twins. I don't think I've always followed the advice though.

Thanks for bringing this up. I know it is painful. :grouphug:

Guest samueleric

I am having abdominoplasty in Febuary and it is also going to involve repairing my separated abdominal muscles.

The cost for this whole procedure is setting us back about $2800. I have private health insurance and since (like a PP stated) it is reconstructive rather than cosmetic Medicare is helping out too.

You're having the surgery next year?? February 2011?

I've heard of insurance covering the diastasis part of the surgery. I've always wanted to look into it, but then I don't want to get my hopes up because I think it will be too expensive. I thought it was more around $6K.

Oh Aubrey, I can SO relate! I was in tears on the way home from church because I was asked when I was due...AGAIN!! I get asked all.the.time.

I am a size 8 and would like to lose 10-15 lbs. It's just that I have this stomach that is only in the front. I had diastisis w/my twins but the gap seems to be gone now, but I'm still left w/such a mess of an abdomen after twins and 2 c-sections. I will have to check this stuff out. I'm sure I've done many a crunch or ab workout incorrectly. I did have a physical therapist give me some tips after I had my twins. I don't think I've always followed the advice though.

Thanks for bringing this up. I know it is painful. :grouphug:

A couple of Saturdays ago:

1. Dropping donations off at a local thrift store, incl children's clothes:

Volunteer: "So, how many kids do you have?"

Me: "4."

Volunteer: "Wow! So this one will make 5!" (Note how it's just assumed, not a question.)

2. Bowling w/ kids for a church event:

Friend: "So did you find out what you were having or were you surprised?"

Me: "We were surprised w/ 3, but we found out w/ 1."

Friend, w/ pda opened, typing: "So do you know what you're having now?"

Me: "Uhhh...?"

Friend: "I like to know for choosing yarn colors when I make baby blankets..." Then she finally looks up, sees my face, & starts back-pedalling.

3. Later that evening, at a ladies' event for church:

Older lady who has moved her membership, as I walk in the door: "Oh! I hadn't heard! Congratulations!"

Me: "Uhhh..."

Her: "What?"

Me, as the room grows silent, everybody watching me: "N...othing..." (Because again, it wasn't a question, you know?"

Her: *pause* "OH! Oh, gosh. Oh...."

Sunday at church:

1. Music minister, as dh is warming up w/ his guitar: (loudly) "So, Aubrey, you are WITH CHILD!"

Me: "Um...no."

Him: "Oh. Oh, I'm thinking of that other lady."

Yeah, maybe. Only dh pointed out that that's the 2nd time that man's done that to me. I told dh that if I've forgotten, I should not be reminded.

2. Start talking to a school librarian about books, literature, & we have such a lovely conversation that she says, "Let me give you my business card." I beam. I've made a new friend!

It's a Mary Kay card, & she wants to know if I've tried their wrinkle cream. Gee. I've still got pretty bad acne. But thanks, I hadn't realized I was starting to shrivel, too. I walk away like a deflated balloon & consider throwing her card away.

3. Sweet older lady comes over to hug a friend who's expecting #1 & asks how she's feeling, then as an after thought, "And how about you? Are you feeling okay, too?" I wish I could pretend that she was asking about my general health & not morning sickness, lol.

So it's not just once in a while. It's everywhere I go, & if I see 3 people, I get the question 3 times. From strangers, close friends, acquaintances. I finally told dh I wasn't going to leave the house for 6mos--even his parents make me uncomfortable. They don't say anything--*they* know how big I get when I'm pg--but I can feel them looking at me. :glare:

I figure someday I'll make a great stand-up comic, just repeating the things people say to me. :lol: The best was the time I tried to buy a bottle of wine, & the guy at the counter asked me if I was sure I should be doing that "in your condition." Yup, dude. Now more than ever! Only, I think I might need something stronger than a cabernet. :D

Guest Alte Veste Academy
The best was the time I tried to buy a bottle of wine, & the guy at the counter asked me if I was sure I should be doing that "in your condition." Yup, dude. Now more than ever! Only, I think I might need something stronger than a cabernet. :D

:lol:

Yes, I know this feeling too.