Menu

online high school....anyone?

Guest usatemples

Guest usatemples

I have a highly motivated, smart and independent rising 10th grader who wants to homeschool next year. She is bored and frustrated with private school - does anyone have comments about online high schools, eg using Switched on Schoolhouse? This is all new to us, so any help would be great! Info about any quality online high school courses would be welcome too. Thanks.

Check to see if your state has one. Here we have FL Virtual School that's free (in-state) & I think some use K-12. There's also some University schools (Missouri, Oklahoma & Texas Tech I think)--check your state U to see if they have something there. If you want Christian, Liberty U has an academy that all the tuition $$ are used as a scholarship for your dc @ Liberty.

we did Potter School this year and took English 2 (highly recc, their english class always get rave reviews) and Apologia Academy online as well. DD greatly ejoys both.

A friend did 3 Scholars Online from Veritas and was very disappointed. They do not use a virtual classroom and they sell it well, but her ds has waited months for grades and they have dropped one of the classes.

Potter and Apologia have used the GP4 classroom (easy downloadable and free), we are pleased with that format.

Right now Potter School has forums that you can get reviews on teachers and such, which can be a help. I was originally turned off as it seemed too rigid, but it turned out not to be that way a at all.

HTH,

Kathy

A friend did 3 Scholars Online from Veritas and was very disappointed. They do not use a virtual classroom and they sell it well, but her ds has waited months for grades and they have dropped one of the classes.

Veritas Press and Scholars Online are two different programs, I believe. Veritas Press does use a live classroom.

hmmm. I will ask her which one then, I must be confused, sorry. the classroom is live, but with a chat box, no sound.

the ones we take you are always looking at different things the instructer puts up and you can hear them speaking as well. There is still a chatbox, but the primary mode of teaching is verbal and visual vs. reading text with no visuals, i just want to be clear on the differences.

Also, the students mike can be turned on for a prestentation as well. It is a whole different experience. She thought the chat box was better and was sold on it, but it turned out to be not so good a fit for her son.

Kathy

• 3 weeks later...
we did Potter School this year and took English 2 (highly recc, their english class always get rave reviews) and Apologia Academy online as well. DD greatly ejoys both.

Potter and Apologia have used the GP4 classroom (easy downloadable and free), we are pleased with that format.

Right now Potter School has forums that you can get reviews on teachers and such, which can be a help. I was originally turned off as it seemed too rigid, but it turned out not to be that way a at all.

HTH,

Kathy

My dd uses Veritas Press and they are a live online class, a virtual classroom and her teachers have been very ontime w/her grades. Matter of fact she has good communication w/all her teachers, never had a problem w/communication or grades.

The admin. staff is very nice, not pushy salespeople and answer your questions immediately and what I like is, I always get my phone calls answered right away, w/o being transferred to ten different people.

We love Vertias Press.