Menu

Considering starting IEW at end of 10th grade, help please

Hi,

The writing we have is not working for dd. I am questioning the literature as well.... Its not that we are not doing either, we are. The writing assignments are strange and seem like busy work. The literature selections are good, but then only ask trivial things about the stories without much analysis.

So, I am looking at IEW for the first time. I called a friend yesterday, and she loaned me level B of TWSS and SWI and told that we could probably get through them easily by the end of this year. (IEW's website says you have to do these FIRST, is that correct?).

I saw in past threads that Elegant Essay, Teaching the Classics, and Wonders to the World are next. Would that be 11th grade? What else would I need to add to that for a complete English course? How long do each of the above take? Also, it looks like I need to be more involved (sigh) I will try..... I use "boxed" curriculum so dd can keep going when I don't have the time to read all of the books. If I am low on time, once she knows what to do, can I turn her loose on some of the books without me (I am concerned I will slow her down)? I would like to do American Lit. in 11th grade, and British in 12th, but it looks like I'm behind because we haven't done the prerequisites.

I need a schedule for the rest of dd's school career for IEW and other ideas for make it a complete English course? We have 9 weeks left for 10th grade, then 11th and 12th. We don't do school in the summer :) Also, please tell me ahead the things that I won't like, or the things I can let go in the program, etc.

Thanks!

I'd consider TWSS along with SWI-B or SWI-C to begin. (SWI-C is probably best, but SWI-B would be OK if your child really needs some remedial work and/or you are afraid of scaring her off.) If you can't borrow these and decide to purchase these items from IEW, they have a $$ back guarantee, so you can simply return either or both of them if they are not a good fit.

After SWI-B or SWI-C, you can go on to SWICC-C for a more complete course at the high school level. (The SWI course is introducory and intended to be completed over up to about 8 weeks, I believe, especially for a high school student.) Again, there is a full guarantee if you purchase from IEW.

Personally, I haven't used the SWI or SWICC courses. . . just the TWSS and the theme-based books. . . But, since you are starting with an older student and want to jump start the process, I'd think the DVD courses would be very helpful in that regard. It took me over a year to get the hang of using the IEW system (but maybe I am slow. . .) and so I'd be hesitant to try to do it on my own with just the TWSS +/- theme based.

You could do the SWI & then SWICC-C, your child will have a very solid foundation of writing skills. You could do SWI right away (this spring/summer) and then SWICC-C over next year.

After SWICC-C, you could choose among the various "advanced writing" materials (focused on essays, etc.) or use one of the C level theme-based books for a more broad course covering all the IEW elements.

Personally, I am going to use the Elegant Essay book this summer with my older kids as a more focused introduction to essay writing. . . I'll also consider the SAT essay prep course at some point to help with speed essay writing. In general, I really like and enjoy using the theme based books, but, again, I haven't tried the DVD based courses and many people swear by them. I'd probably have tried them if I were in more of a time crunch, which is why I suggest them in your situation.

There is a very active IEW yahoo group with a huge files section and many very knowledgable people on the list. It's a bit overwhelming at first, but a tremendous resource. Post your query there and you'll surely get fabulous feedback from people much more knowledgable than I.

Oooh, also, the IEW stuff I mention really only covers writing, with a touch of grammar and a touch of vocab in some of the theme-based books. . . You'd need a literature/reading component +/- grammar +/- vocab to make it a complete high school English course, IMHO.

HTH

Edited by StephanieZ

So, I am looking at IEW for the first time. I called a friend yesterday, and she loaned me level B of TWSS and SWI and told that we could probably get through them easily by the end of this year. (IEW's website says you have to do these FIRST, is that correct?).

My oldest two used the SWI-C as a true intensive, completing it over about 2 weeks. They needed to complete it to go into a co-op class that would be using the CC course. We did it just before starting the co-op, so they had only a few other classes on their plates. The CC was done in a semester. You could probably speed it up if necessary, but the class was limited to 2ce a week classes.

The beauty of SWI is that Pudewa does the teaching on the DVD. You can watch it together and then send dd off to do the assignment. Most of your time will be spent going over her work producct and suggesting edits for her. My high schoolers didn't continue on with IEW so I'm not famliar with Elegant Essay and the rest. But SWI and the CC served us very well, laying a wonderful foundation that at least one of mine really needed.

HTH,

Lisa

Lisa,

So, you did SWI-C first, not any other IEW programs? What level of writing were your kids doing to be able to do SWI-C?

Thanks!

The SWI-C teaches most of the IEW units, I believe. The IEW website has samples & TOC of most of the things it sells. The ultimate result in each kid will vary with their starting point and aptitudes. . .

I won't try to comment more b/c I haven't used the SWI or SWICC products.

Yes, my oldest three started with SWI-C. My oldest two were high school age and went on to complete the CC-C in a co-op class, while my 3rd was in 8th grade and did Level B of the CC in a co-op class. I think Stephanie is correct in that a student will produce writing in keeping with the skills and aptitude s/he brings to the class. A strong writer will get stronger; a weak to average writer will benefit from the structure and format as well as learning all of the dress-ups. Intuitive writers may already be incorporating some of those dress-ups into their writing.

HTH,

Lisa