Menu

Youth in (and?) Government

Funny, Sue, I was just going to PM you and ask how you were planning to fulfill the Economics and FL gov't requirements for our up and coming high schoolers. I'll get plain ole gov't from TOG, but FL gov't...who could guess we need that too!

I'd still like to know, but I'm also interested in this. Please keep me in your loop on this. JohnAndTinaGilbert@yahoo.com

Youth & Government is a state high school student program, organized through the state's local YMCA branches, so contact your local YMCA branch to find out where the nearest YMCA with a Youth & Government program is for you. (Sue: for Florida see the website: http://www.floridayig.net/) Very likely there is already a Y&G program in your area, and either you DC can join it, or you can volunteer to assist an already-in-place Y&G advisor. Or, if your city doesn't have a delegation, you can form one. (See here for a list of Florida YMCA locations -- Sue, there are 4 in St. Pete; Tina, there are 2 in Largo: http://www.ymca.net/maps/?address=St.+Petersburg+Florida)

Various branches of the YMCA have a Youth & Government program and help adult volunteers set up and advise local delegations across the state. Throughout the semester, you meet once a week for an hour or two, go over the material for that week (how to write a bill; how to write a pro/con speech as a lobbyist; etc.), and then the students practice Parlimentary Procedure to debate bills. There are deadlines throughout the semester that the advisor must turn in certain paperwork; all the students bills; etc., to the Youth & Government branch of the YMCA.

A month or so before the end of the semester, all the delegations from across the state meet for an all-day "Pre Legislation" in which all the students who are senators meet and elect a senate president who will preside over the mock legislation session, and all the students who are representatives meet and elect a speaker of the house. The students who are lobbyists meet and join lobby firms and are assigned bills to lobby for. Students also form political parties which everyone can join.

At the end of the semester, your delegation meets again at the state capital for a 2 or 3-day mock legislation session, in which all the students actually play their roles and run bills through committee, debate and vote on bills, lobby for or against bills, etc.

As an advisor, you can expect to put in 1-2 hours a week for your delegation's weekly meeting, and another 1-2 hours a week in the first half of the semester getting all of your students' paperwork in order, collecting all their bills and position papers, meeting with your local YMCA Youth & Government program rep, etc. Once all the paperwork and bills have been turned in, you just have your meetings, and then need to attend the Pre-Leg and Model Leg sessions with your students. Your delegation may also need to do a carwash or other fundraising activity to pay for the Youth & Government program fee and raise funds to offset the cost of transportation and lodging to the state capital.

Hope that helps! Enjoy! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
added info

Funny, Sue, I was just going to PM you and ask how you were planning to fulfill the Economics and FL gov't requirements for our up and coming high schoolers.

As I understand FL graduation requirements, a public high school student needs:

1 credit World History

1 credit American History

.5 credit American Govt.

.5 credit Economics

As a homeschooler, *I* get to decide what my student needs to graduate. If I require a year of Ancient, European, and American history each, for example, that's my right.

What I do need to pay attention to is what college admission requirements are. At U of FL - Gainesville, students need 1 year of Social Science to be admitted. At Georgia Tech, they need 3 years. I have never seen a college say that a student needs American Government to be accepted. Have you?

Frankly, I have no desire to sit with any book (BORING! - sorry my own high school days coming back to haunt me) to learn American Government. OTOH, I do see the value in studying American Government, but only if it can be done in an engaging way. If we don't do YiG, it will likely not be a part of ds's high school experience. Unless he takes it at CC, that is. I'm willing for someone else to go through the boring textbook with ds. ;)

As far as economics is concerned, I'm not even sure what that is. I don't think I ever had it in high school. On my hs transcript, I see 1/2 credit for:

MGT 4 YOU (I think this was some kind of a consumer class - I seem to remember discussing TV commercials)

LAW AM SOC (this must be government?)

POL BEHAV (could this be economics?)

Maybe one of those is it. I have no memory of it at all. Also, the only 'D' I ever earned in college was economics. I have no desire to revisit that topic. :crying: All I remember of it was reading graphs and charts.

We just finished up our classes for Finance Park. Another mom and I led the classes and we realized that we work very well together. We discussed what we might do next year together and agreed that Youth in Government would be beneficial. So, now I'm investigating.

So, there's my plan or lack thereof....

Youth & Government is a state high school student program, organized through the state's local YMCA branches, so contact your local YMCA branch to find out where the nearest YMCA with a Youth & Government program is for you.

Thanks, Lori!!! I'll ask at the Y tonight before water aerobics. I love following in your footsteps. :grouphug:

As I understand FL graduation requirements, a public high school student needs:

1 credit World History

1 credit American History

.5 credit American Govt.

.5 credit Economics

As a homeschooler, *I* get to decide what my student needs to graduate. If I require a year of Ancient, European, and American history each, for example, that's my right.

What I do need to pay attention to is what college admission requirements are. At U of FL - Gainesville, students need 1 year of Social Science to be admitted. At Georgia Tech, they need 3 years. I have never seen a college say that a student needs American Government to be accepted. Have you?

Frankly, I have no desire to sit with any book (BORING! - sorry my own high school days coming back to haunt me) to learn American Government. OTOH, I do see the value in studying American Government, but only if it can be done in an engaging way. If we don't do YiG, it will likely not be a part of ds's high school experience. Unless he takes it at CC, that is. I'm willing for someone else to go through the boring textbook with ds. ;)

As far as economics is concerned, I'm not even sure what that is. I don't think I ever had it in high school. On my hs transcript, I see 1/2 credit for:

MGT 4 YOU (I think this was some kind of a consumer class - I seem to remember discussing TV commercials)

LAW AM SOC (this must be government?)

POL BEHAV (could this be economics?)

Maybe one of those is it. I have no memory of it at all. Also, the only 'D' I ever earned in college was economics. I have no desire to revisit that topic. :crying: All I remember of it was reading graphs and charts.

We just finished up our classes for Finance Park. Another mom and I led the classes and we realized that we work very well together. We discussed what we might do next year together and agreed that Youth in Government would be beneficial. So, now I'm investigating.

So, there's my plan or lack thereof....

I have the High School Puzzle by Joanne Mastronicola and she notes the Amer. Gov't coursw must also include a study of FL gov't. After going through all my goodies, I realize we can include the gov't study from TOG and fulfill that requirement. I'm pleased that worked out.

If you ever enter into group activities, feel free to email me. We would have enjoyed Finance Park :)

Keep me posted on the YiG, that might be a wonderful time for my older boys.