Menu

Do any of you allow your HS'ers to learn non-traditional foreign languages?

By this, I mean, not the usual Spanish, French, or maybe German that most high schools offer.

DD wanted to learn Spanish so we went with that. Since we have a large population of summer migrant workers during the agricultural season and she is going into a medical field, this made perfect sense.

However, none of my boys are interested in any of the three languages I mentioned above. These are the ones that would traditionally appear on high school transcripts.

DH's family is only two generations removed from its Danish origins. None of the family members now speak a lick of Danish but the boys are VERY interested in learning it and hope to visit Denmark someday. It doesn't seem very practical but yet, I am leaning that direction because of their intense interest and the family history.

Would a college admission's office "snort" at seeing this on their high school transcript?

Faith

If you take two or more years of a language that makes sense for you to learn, I don't think it would be snorted at! A language is a language! I know people whose kids are taking Mandarin and others taking Japanese.

I think that's one great thing about homeschooling---taking classes that MEAN something to you; that are practical! I know I'm not a college admissions person, maybe someone has their angle on it, but I'm quite sure there are LOTS of kids taking languages other than the first 3 you mentioned!

Best wishes!

We had very positive responses to dd's one HS credit in Arabic. She took a one semester course at the university for dual enrollment. This was in addition to the three year language requirement I had for her (Latin).

On the other hand, if it looks like your child wants to pursue their language further, and it's not something they offer, they might think you'd be better served at another college.

My 16yo is taking Japanese at the community college. My 14yo will be taking Spanish there starting in 11th grade.

My youngest wants to take Italian in high school. I have no idea how to make that happen. There aren't any classes in Italian available through the community college.

That's fantastic that your CC offers Japanese! Ours cut back the foreign language program to alternating French one year, German the next. My youngest, in 7th grade, is meeting once a week with a native Japanese speaker and another neighbor child for lessons. He loves it. I don't know how long this arrangment will last, however, so I wish we also had Japanese at the CC. Or at any school in the area. :confused:

As to the original question, I think the key would be to stick with it. The admission counselors I've spoken to all say the same, that they want to see a kid that doesn't just do one or two years of a project or course, but who stays the course.

Latin and Greek do not fall into that trio of French, Spanish, and German, but you'll see many here whose children take them and are accepted into college. My daughter is a case in point with five years of Latin and one of ancient Greek.

I would definitely allow my child to pursue a non-traditional language if the interest is there. I would do this even if outside validation were not readily available (i.e., SAT subject test or a national language exam).

Regards,

Kareni

DS said he'd like to take Japanese because he would like to be an engineer. He figures Japanese will help greatly!

DD is only 9, but has said for a few years that she would like to be a missionary to Africa when she grows up. So she plans to take Swahili in high school. Of course, there's plenty of time for her to change her mind, but I think it would be awesome for her! I'll probably use Rosetta Stone for both of them.

I would prefer they both take Spanish or Latin because they just make so much sense. However, I don't want to quelch thier desires or God-given callings :)

I'm encouraging my dc to do multiple foreign languages. Our current high school plan is four years of Spanish for each, plus at least two years of a second one. Right now, one wants to add American Sign Language, and the other is unsure what to pick, but Arabic, Chinese, and Gaelic are all possibilities. We're using Rosetta Stone and supplementary materials for Spanish, and I'll probably use Rosetta Stone again if we do a spoken language that's fairly uncommon. For a more common one, I might Tell Me More, as that sounds interesting, too.

The only disadvantage I see to uncommon foreign languages is that there are no AP tests for them, and fewer colleges will likely give credit for those languages -- especially if they aren't ones they offer.