Menu

Spanish as a LONG-term foreign language

Christine

I'm having some "issues". . .

It's known that children will pick up a foreign language well at the younger "grammar" ages.

Thus, it makes sense to start them in a foreign language at that time.

Ah. . . but a number of colleges want 2 years of high school "level" (HA!) languages.

So, there seem to be a number of language providers that cater to those knowledgable parents that want to start their children young. . .and those that cater to those that need high school foreign language credit.

Has anyone else noticed that, aside from Latin, there is no "long-term" language studies available?

(I'm truly hoping someone will say "no" here. . .)

My younger kids would like to learn Spanish. I would love to teach them spanish, but I want to have a program that I can carry through from "grade school" through "high school". (Not 2 years now and 2 years later kind of deals.)

Does anyone know of such a program???

Maybe I am way off base here but I don't think the program you use to learn a language matters much. I would just use one that works for now and when you are done with it use another one. Eventually you may not use a language program anymore and read books in Spanish instead.

Imho, the most important thing about learning a language is that you always continue in some way.

Susie

start them now. In the younger ages, it's good to get them used to hearing a language. They can listen to tapes, listen to spanish radio, watch movies in Spanish, whatever you can do to just have it available to them. They will learn vocabulary, pronunciation, etc. doing this.

Start a Spanish vocab. notebook where they can learn several new words a week that you can use in your home. Have them label things with their Spanish words.

They will absorb it. They will learn to say things in Spanish and will be speaking it. But, they won't know the grammar and structure of it. That's what they learn with a program later on. That can be the 2 years of high school Spanish they're looking for.

My dc speak Spanish really well. They do great. But, only my oldest is now learning to disect it and learn all the tenses of the verbs, understanding the why and how. She's learning to fluently read and write it as well. That's her 2 years of high school Spanish. But, she was speaking it 2 years ago.

Hope this helps.

You could try The Easy Spanish. They have a junior level (K-2) and then they have level 1 which would be a two or possibly a three year program for a grammar stage student, a one or two year program for logic stage.

They also publish The Easy French and it has more levels. Right now it has jr, 1, and 2 - 3 is in the works and I think they are planning on a fourth. Their plan is to go beyond what is required in high school so The Easy French could truly be one continuous program that carries you from early grammar stage through high school.

If they have the same plans for The Easy Spanish then it will also be a good long term choice.

http://www.theeasyspanish.com

Sarah

But, they won't know the grammar and structure of it. That's what they learn with a program later on. That can be the 2 years of high school Spanish they're looking for.

My dc speak Spanish really well. They do great. But, only my oldest is now learning to disect it and learn all the tenses of the verbs, understanding the why and how. She's learning to fluently read and write it as well. That's her 2 years of high school Spanish. But, she was speaking it 2 years ago.

Hope this helps.

Hi Dayle,

I've been wondering the same things as the OP.

So, what does your oldest use to learn the grammar (and reading and writing) of Spanish? Is it something that can be used with a 10 year old? Or are you getting tutoring?

Thanks,

Colleen :)

Hi Dayle,

I've been wondering the same things as the OP.

So, what does your oldest use to learn the grammar (and reading and writing) of Spanish? Is it something that can be used with a 10 year old? Or are you getting tutoring?

Thanks,

Colleen :)

Hi Colleen! How was your birthday?

I have the big advantage of being able to enroll my dd in a Spanish language school 4 hours a week (the equivalent of 2 years of Spanish in high school) with a one on one instructor for about $13 a week.

But, since you don't live in Guatemala, you can use any high school Spanish curriculum I would think that would go over the grammar (which is really extensive and is yet another good reason for a good understanding of English grammar!) and reading and writing. I'm not sure what that would be since I'm blessed to be where I am and don't have to worry about that!

When a child learns a language as a 2nd language, there comes a point where he is able to begin studying it as if it were his 1st language.

1st we learn to speak it, write it, and comprehend it aurally. We learn the grammar.

Once the child has gotten the basics down, it is time to study literature and write papers using the language. He also needs to use it in day-to-day living.

Choose a program. Progress through the elementary years learning grammar and conversational language. Then move into translation of simple books or books of the Bible. Have a meal in which everyone is required to use the language. Dish TV has several Spanish educational programs--make those a part of your day. Add cultural studies, including food and society. Learn about the country's geography and history where that language is spoken.

By the time the child is in High School, his language program will include reading literature and writing papers about them--just like we do in English classes.

Is this what you are asking about?

When a child learns a language as a 2nd language, there comes a point where he is able to begin studying it as if it were his 1st language.

1st we learn to speak it, write it, and comprehend it aurally. We learn the grammar.

Once the child has gotten the basics down, it is time to study literature and write papers using the language. He also needs to use it in day-to-day living.

Choose a program. Progress through the elementary years learning grammar and conversational language. Then move into translation of simple books or books of the Bible. Have a meal in which everyone is required to use the language. Dish TV has several Spanish educational programs--make those a part of your day. Add cultural studies, including food and society. Learn about the country's geography and history where that language is spoken.

By the time the child is in High School, his language program will include reading literature and writing papers about them--just like we do in English classes.

Is this what you are asking about?

I totally agree with you, Jean. This is what I was trying to say in my very short reply as well. Thank you for describing the process so nicely.

Susie

Oh! Excellent answer! Elementary Spanish, which is available on Dish TV (University House channel) and United Streaming has a class for grades 1-8. I know that doesn't get you to high school, but it is a long-term program. We've done grades 1-4 so far, and it's very good.

Until children achieve fluency in a language, there is always more to learn! Once they achieve fluency, Jean is right, start studying it as you would your own language--literature, culture, etc.

In my own case, my daughter began French in 3rd grade or so. Now in eighth grade, she's at about 2nd-3rd year high school French level. We've gone at a moderate pace and had a lot of fun with this. She won't have 4 years of any one language (we began Latin about 4th grade, and she is probably a year behind French in that) on her high school transcript, but I think good AP scores should take care of that.

There are scores of advanced language texts available--visit any college textbook store and you will find plenty. I think most programs don't carry beyond a few years because 1) most US school programs do not approach serious language study until at least middle school 2)the major textbook publishers put out plenty of middle school texts, altho these are often hard to use at home 3) there are tons of high school texts designed for the classroom 4)there's lots of variety for adult level learners available online and at bookstores.

For homeschoolers, I think the gap is mainly late elementary and middle school. There are lots of songs and games programs for younger kids, and Rosetta Stone, Pimsleur, Assimil, distance learning and French in Action/Destinos/Fokus Deutsch are all options for high schoolers and near high schoolers. During those middle years, a lot can be gained by solidifying grammar, developing vocabulary and reading and listening to material in the target language, as Jean suggested.

Danielle