Menu

For those familiar with Sonlight 100...

If anyone can give some insight regarding Sonlight 100, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

My questions:

1) Does the Instructor's Guide for Core 100 plan out reading the entire set of "History of US" cover to cover, or does it only plan selected volumes or selected pages?

2) Does the Instructor's Guide for Core 100 (and we will not be using this for LA) provide ideas for writing assignments? To clarify, I am not looking for writing instruction, but was hoping for some prompts or assignments based on the history topics or literature assignments.

Thank you again! I truly appreciate the help!

AmeliaBinMO

We've used Core 100 in the recent past and my son really enjoyed it. To answer your questions: Yes, the instructor's guide schedules out the whole series of the History of the US. I don't even think it skips pages if I remember correctly. The IG does give writing assignments - I don't remember a LOT of writing instruction at that level but there are writing assignments given (maybe one a week?) based on the literature or history. They use the Write Source book as the reference manual for "how-to" write instructions.

HTH,

Just to toss out another option, Hewitt Homeschooling sells a junior high syllabus and tests for Hakim's History of US.

Here's the blurb from their website:

"Using Joy Hakim's History of US, your student will cover U.S. history from its earliest settlement using a variety of activities including an introduction to research skills and the writing of short research papers. The syllabus provides a guide for a year of study and offers lists of projects to do along with the reading of the volumes (such as making a cassette or videotape of oneself giving a famous speech or illustrating three different kinds of architecture found at different times/places in the U.S.). Two research papers are to be written, and guidelines for developing one are also given.

This is written for students who are enrolled in Hewitt's junior high program, but it could be of assistance to any parent and/or teacher who wishes to use the Joy Hakim series for junior high U.S. history. Answers to the tests are included. Paperback, comb bound, 86 pages, 8 1/2 by 11 inches."

Regards,

Kareni

Edited by Kareni

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this, Kareni! Even if I go with Sonlight, at only $9, the Hewitt syllabus would be helpful to have. It sounds as if it has a lot of the writing ideas that I am looking for!

Thank you again - I appreciate it!

AmeliaBinMO