Menu

So, I had a good high school cry

and I'm feeling better.

2 years ago I bought, Piecing Together the High School Puzzle, a binder style book created by a FL mom, on how to get through the process here in FL. I loaned it to my friend whose eldest is currently in 9th grade.

I got it back yesterday and the opening paragraph told me it was exactly what I needed to read,

"High School - the time in your life when your children can suddenly reach the stuff on the high shelf for you - the time in your life when their school work begins to scare you a little - the time in your life when you feel like school work sudenly "counts." And...you are deathly afraid of missing it all up and ruining your child's life forever. Well, it may seem scrary, but it's really not - if you break down the pieces."

Okay, so that and having a total meltdown on my husband yesterday. I looked at my son, now taller than dh and I, saw him in his dad's cycling gear, and started bawling. I cried for a little bit and mourned the loss of my little boy....seriously, where did the time go? Weren't we just spending forever learning Ancients and now he's stepping slowly in TOG Rhetoric. Poor dh. He really took a verbal lashing, which he didn't understand b/c I was crying the entire time (he's hard of hearing and when I cry I am out of his hearing range!) While I made everything in my life his fault, I realized I was super anxious about high school and I was deflecting everything I was worried about on him...poor dh. Fortunately, he knows me well enough to give me my minute, then wait for me to realize I'm the one freaking out.

Sigh. I'm still sad, but I'm remembering one season leads to another and I don't ever have to lose him. He still snuggles with his mommy...and now I'm realizing how important that is for me -- just as much as it is for him.

This is our last hurah and I want it to be fruitful in every way possible.

Now that I have all my panic tears out of the way, I'm ready to get a grip and start planning! Hopefully, I can leave the tears behind now.

I look forward to reading all of your wisdom as I enter this new stage of life and am very thankful for this forum. Really. What a place it has been since 2001 and I'm so glad to be here and so thankful that you all share your wisdom so well and so freely. :grouphug:

Raising children is tough! Isn't it nice when dh's let you be irrational and don't even bring it up later. Mine is like that. What a blessing.

But I have found that homeschooling high school's blessings far outweigh the tough times (not that there aren't some, for sure.) You'll do wonderfully!

Tina,

Now that you have had your cry, you can get excited about the man your son is becoming! I know I am excited to watch my high school daughter and college aged son grow into adults and I am SO proud of them. I will really miss them when they grow up and move out. I have already informed them that they have to live nearby..... :)

What a sweet message. I loved the quote from the book. I loved teaching High School. My son is a senior, and I am so glad I homeschooled him through high school. However, I will also say there will be more tears and sleepless nights for you too. At 2 am is when I would think,"Am I doing enough...what if..." So, when you have those days and nights, remember this is a great place to come and be reassured that yes it is possible to homeschool your teenager.

Tina,

Having sent my oldest off (early), I am so very glad that we have home educated all the way through. What a gift! There have been many hairy moments, many times when I was so frustrated with the man-boy that I could spit nails, but we have all learned and grown in the process and moved our relationship along the path of life. Bittersweet. These changes in which we realize that we are stepping out of the comfort of one stage and into the unknown of another. Above anything else, high school has been one more opportunity to cry out to God, ask Him to guide and bless and watch Him work in the life of my son. God is good. He didn't bring you this far to drop you now. :001_smile:

Lisa

Having sent my oldest off (early), I am so very glad that we have home educated all the way through. What a gift! There have been many hairy moments, many times when I was so frustrated with the man-boy that I could spit nails, but we have all learned and grown in the process and moved our relationship along the path of life. Bittersweet. These changes in which we realize that we are stepping out of the comfort of one stage and into the unknown of another. Above anything else, high school has been one more opportunity to cry out to God, ask Him to guide and bless and watch Him work in the life of my son. God is good. He didn't bring you this far to drop you now. :001_smile:

Lisa

This is so encouraging, Lisa. Thank you.

My dd is about 6 weeks into 9th grade (our school year starts Jan/Feb here) so this is all new to me.

But you're right. The opportunity to home educate is such a gift. :) I value it, and even though the next step is a little scary, it is also exciting.

Hi Tina ~

My DD is only 11 and I am feeling that way! Thank you for sharing and hopefully the next tears you shed will be when is is accepting his college diploma!

Best Wishes~

Dina :grouphug:

I sure hope so! After sitting down and putting all things on paper, I'm encouraged that we're in pretty good shape, so at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.