Menu

Chinese history ideas?

My son wants to study Chinese history next year in his senior year. I'd rather not have to create a history unit myself, so am wondering if anyone knows of any curriculum, besides a textbook, that covers Chinese history. I don't even know enough about the topic yet to say whether it will be modern history only, ancient only, or both. We're looking to cover it during one semester only as he's also interested in doing an intensive study of WWII. Gotta' work on that, too! Thanks!

Yolanda

I have a rough curriculum that I put together at middle school level. You can see some of the books here - if it looks interesting then I can try to find the spreadsheet to send to you. For a high schooler it would be doable in a semester - the assignments in the books could be written at a higher level.

Laura

I have a rough curriculum that I put together at middle school level. You can see some of the books here - if it looks interesting then I can try to find the spreadsheet to send to you. For a high schooler it would be doable in a semester - the assignments in the books could be written at a higher level.

Laura

Yes, they look very interesting! Do I need to send you my email privately, or can you just post it? Thank you so much.

Yolanda

You should be able to find it here. The first page of the spreadsheet shows a sequence of work, the second has notes on books. I think that the age ranges I give on the Amazon list are probably better - I think I checked the book entries on Amazon before making suggestions there, whereas on my own spreadsheet I just guessed. The spreadsheet doesn't include assignments - choose from the activities in the Suzanne Strauss Art books.

I haven't looked at the spreadsheet for years - have a good look at it and see if it looks usable. You'll have to fillet out the picture books that I put in for Hobbes. Some of the listed books Calvin never read - he's a good reader but there are some themes in Chinese history that are better for someone of your son's age.

Laura

My husband just finished reading this book about the 20th century in China...I cannot speak at all for its morality (it's 676 pg so not easily read)...

Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang

He's done a lot of work in China and his father was Chinese. He found it to be very informative about life esp during the Cultural Revolution...

Joan

Edited by Joan in Geneva
typo

Just a note: If you get a chance to go see the Terracotta Warriors that are currently touring the US that would be a great visual for him. They are/were in DC recently. It also gives a different perspective on the attitude and treatment of previous rulers burial grounds and tombs as compared with Egypt and others.

My husband just finished reading this book about the 20th century in China...I cannot speak at all for its morality (it's 676 pg so not easily read)...

He's done a lot of work and China and his father was Chinese. He found it to be very informative about life esp during the Cultural Revolution...

My daughter was assigned this book as summer reading for an AP Comparative Government and Politics class. She found it fascinating.

Regards,

Kareni

My daughter was assigned this book as summer reading for an AP Comparative Government and Politics class. She found it fascinating.

Regards,

Kareni

That makes that class seem much more interesting then...somehow it sounds so dry otherwise...sometimes I have no imagination....

Joan

You should be able to find it here. The first page of the spreadsheet shows a sequence of work, the second has notes on books. I think that the age ranges I give on the Amazon list are probably better - I think I checked the book entries on Amazon before making suggestions there, whereas on my own spreadsheet I just guessed. The spreadsheet doesn't include assignments - choose from the activities in the Suzanne Strauss Art books.

I haven't looked at the spreadsheet for years - have a good look at it and see if it looks usable. You'll have to fillet out the picture books that I put in for Hobbes. Some of the listed books Calvin never read - he's a good reader but there are some themes in Chinese history that are better for someone of your son's age.

Laura

Laura,

Thanks so much! It's a great place to start. I'll take a closer look at it over the weekend.

Yolanda

That makes that class seem much more interesting then...somehow it sounds so dry otherwise...sometimes I have no imagination....

I expect that you have plenty of imagination, Joan!

The AP Comparative Gov't and Politics class was one my daughter took locally at a homeschooling resource center. Unlike the AP US History class she took which had a tome of a textbook (Bailey's American Pageant), this particular class had a much smaller textbook and many outside readings from the Economist magazine, etc. Additional summer reading included Thirteen Days: A Memoir of the Cuban Missile Crisis by Robert F. Kennedy and selections from Untapped: The Scramble for Africa’s Oil by John Ghazvinian.

Regards,

Kareni

The AP Comparative Gov't and Politics class was one my daughter took locally at a homeschooling resource center. Unlike the AP US History class she took which had a tome of a textbook (Bailey's American Pageant), this particular class had a much smaller textbook and many outside readings from the Economist magazine, etc. Additional summer reading included Thirteen Days: A Memoir of the Cuban Missile Crisis by Robert F. Kennedy and selections from Untapped: The Scramble for Africa’s Oil by John Ghazvinian.

Those readings certainly look more interesting than a textbook. Sounds like a good class! (Wishing we had one around here...)

Your second book can tie into this thread if the history goes to modern days. (All so recent compared to their thousands of years old history) It reminded me of this one I saw in French first

La Chinafrique: Peking a la Conquete du continent noir

the English translation cover picture is so different

China Safari: Beijing's Expansion in Africa

and this wikipedia article Involvement of PRC in Africa which hints at involvement in ancient times (not developed though)...they are not just taking out of Africa...we saw a slideshow about Ethiopia where the Chinese have built this road on the side of these mountains that were otherwise difficult to traverse to go to Kenya. They call it the Chinese Highway.

Joan

...Your second book can tie into this thread if the history goes to modern days. (All so recent compared to their thousands of years old history) It reminded me of this one I saw in French first

La Chinafrique: Peking a la Conquete du continent noir

the English translation cover picture is so different

China Safari: Beijing's Expansion in Africa

Different indeed, Joan. The second cover looks almost militant.

And thanks for the additional links, Joan. Definite food for thought there.

Regards,

Kareni