Menu

Getting In--fiction for those of us needing comic relief

Jane in NC

Skaterbabs mentioned this book over on the general board but it looks like something that might resonate well over here. Getting In by Karen Stabiner is a fictional account of students and families applying for college. Barnes and Noble gives the following synopsis:

Q: What does a parent need to survive the college application process?

A. A sense of humor.

B. A therapist on 24-hour call.

C. A large bank balance.

D. All of the above.

Getting In is the roller-coaster story of five very different Los Angeles families united by a single obsession: acceptance at a top college, preferably one that makes their friends and neighbors green with envy. At an elite private school and a nearby public school, families devote themselves to getting their seniors into the perfect school-even if the odds are stacked against them, even if they can't afford the $50,000 annual price tag, even if the effort requires a level of deceit, and even if the object of all this attention wants to go somewhere else.

Getting In is a delightfully smart comedy of class and entitlement, of love and ambition, set in a world where a fat envelope from a top school matters more than anything . . . almost.

Skaterbabs mentioned this book over on the general board but it looks like something that might resonate well over here. Getting In by Karen Stabiner is a fictional account of students and families applying for college. Barnes and Noble gives the following synopsis:

Q: What does a parent need to survive the college application process?

A. A sense of humor.

B. A therapist on 24-hour call.

C. A large bank balance.

D. All of the above.

Getting In is the roller-coaster story of five very different Los Angeles families united by a single obsession: acceptance at a top college, preferably one that makes their friends and neighbors green with envy. At an elite private school and a nearby public school, families devote themselves to getting their seniors into the perfect school-even if the odds are stacked against them, even if they can't afford the $50,000 annual price tag, even if the effort requires a level of deceit, and even if the object of all this attention wants to go somewhere else.

Getting In is a delightfully smart comedy of class and entitlement, of love and ambition, set in a world where a fat envelope from a top school matters more than anything . . . almost.

I just ran over to Amazon to read reviews, but the book has a release date of 3/16/10. Did the OP on the general board get her hands on a prelease copy?

I just ran over to Amazon to read reviews, but the book has a release date of 3/16/10. Did the OP on the general board get her hands on a prelease copy?

The OP on the general board was singing the praises of the author in general and mentioned this book. Given that I had yet another minor panic attack about whether or not I submitted a particular form to a particular school this morning, the book sounded appealing to me!

Here is the OP.

... acceptance at a top college, preferably one that makes their friends and neighbors green with envy.

I'm so glad that I don't have a shred of envy as to where anyone else goes. It's really difficult for me to identify with that type of personality. Even as a youngster when I first heard the phrase, "keep up with the Joneses," I asked the question, "why?" :)

Thanks for passing this along, Jane. It does sound like a fun book. Stabiner's non-fiction seems to be well reviewed. Here's another title of hers which might hit the spot for some of us here Empty Nest, The: 31 Parents Tell the Truth About Relationships, Love, and Freedom After the Kids Fly the Coop. It's currently bargain priced at $2.46 at Amazon.

Regards,

Kareni