Menu

Can you put butter in the freezer? What about milk?

My MIL just gave us a chest freezer. We have been wanting one for a while now. The local super market always has good deals on meat, but we have never had the extra room to freeze it.

I have been wondering about other stuff that we could buy in bulk and freeze. Can you freeze butter? Not just the stick type, but the stuff that comes in tubs? What about milk?

What other things can you freeze that people don't normally think is freezable?

I've only frozen the stick butter, but it works great. Milk freezes well, too. It takes a long time (a few days) to defrost in the fridge, though, so plan accordingly. Oh and shake it well when it defrosts. I also freeze cheese (though it become crumbly), baked goods and meals.

Search for once a month cooking or freezer cooking and you'll get tons of ideas of what to freeze, what not to freeze, how to organize the freezer, etc.

I freeze lots of non traditional things. DH and I shop mostly at Costco and food coops and as a result many things are packaged in larger amounts than work for us.

I buy large bags of tortilla chips and separate them into two bags and freeze one.

Tortilla freeze well.

I also store large size spice containters in the freezers, refilling my smaller bottles in the pantry when necessary.

I freeze both. Butter generally goes straight from the store to the freezer since I usually get it at Sams. Milk freezes well, but sometimes it may separate so I don't freeze it for more than two weeks. A gallon of milk will take several days to thaw in the fridge. I do thaw it in the sink over night. I've never had a problem with spoilage doing it that way.

Oh, if you freeze milk in a white container, do not be surprised when you see yellow milk after it is frozen. This is perfectly normal and the milk will be white again after it thaws.