Menu

Trying to make my own history/geography curriculum

Melissa B

After looking through everything I could find online, I decided to try and make my own three-year American History/Geography curriculum (for my kids, not to publish. :))

I am writing it out on Google Docs and I don't know how to share their word documents so I posted my first 12 week term to an old blog.

The idea is to have two spines at any given time. For the first term they will be Story of America and World of Columbus and Sons.

Each week the kids have one copywork assignment, one mapping/sketching assignment and one set of discussion questions to go with a spine. They will study one state every two weeks as well. Both of my dds need work on neater handwriting so I thought the copywork and map sketches would make a nice booklet to review American history.

Then I have a list of additional optional reading that goes with the time period and two writing assignments due at the end of each four week segment.

If you have some time, would you mind going to my blog and looking over the first term layout? It looks a bit more organized on the google doc, but it is basically the same. I only want to spend two (or at most three) days per week on American history and geography. The optional additional reading would be done on their own time. Does this seem acceptable? The writing assignments will get more difficult as we move into the year. These are rather vague, I know. Before I continue through the entire three years, what would you add, change or delete? How can I improve it without adding much more time?

http://onceuponariverbend.blogspot.com/

Thanks!!

If you have some time, would you mind going to my blog and looking over the first term layout? It looks a bit more organized on the google doc, but it is basically the same. I only want to spend two (or at most three) days per week on American history and geography. The optional additional reading would be done on their own time. Does this seem acceptable? The writing assignments will get more difficult as we move into the year. These are rather vague, I know. Before I continue through the entire three years, what would you add, change or delete? How can I improve it without adding much more time?

http://onceuponariverbend.blogspot.com/

Thanks!!

I like that you added their copywork and writing assignments into your schedules.

I'm working on my own lower level American history schedule now (I have an upper level course on my blog). . . I'm still trying to determine how best to do it, so I may be looking at your bit more in depth (on vacation now) for ideas. . .

Melissa--

Looks good! Because I'm a psyco planner, I would like to have it laid out by week,

:iagree: (not that Pata is a psyco planner, but that I am.)