Menu

Considering my options for Chemistry (for 9th grade)

Hello all,

I'm >thisclose< (I hope!) to making a decision, but was hoping I could get some more input first.

I'm curious to learn more about Conceptual Chemistry. It really sounds ideal, in that it's intended for non-science majors, which is the case for us. I'm still confused about what I'd need...i.e. what materials I'd need to teach this, where to purchase said materials, and how to compensate for the lab portion which I've read is fairly expensive.

I've also checked out Oak Meadow's Chemistry course, so that's another option. It is fairly pricey though, and this is turning out to be a fairly expensive year, as I've already decided to purchase IEW after years of passing on it, thinking I could find a better fit for my children.

Walch publishing has a Chemistry program as well, but would that count for high school credit? It's supposed to be written at a lower level than most other Chemistry books. The lab manual is supposed to call for tons of really expensive supplies, and really assumes a high school lab setting. Seeing as I don't have the great lab setting, I wonder if I could make something like this work for us.

Also, what about the other homeschool-specific programs? I'm thinking High School Chemistry at Home and The Spectrum. What are your thoughts on these? I know the former doesn't have an actual textbook, and I wonder if this would look okay on our transcript.

I would love any input! Thanks so much for your help (in advance)!

Patty

Edited by Tutu

Have you considered Apologia? Just askin'...not meaning to add another to your mix! lol

LOL! Actually, I've considered them all! :-) I'm caught between wanting something that is solid, and wanting something that is adequate enough for a child who is not interested in pursuing science as a major. I also want to make sure that the labs are doable, and that we don't run into some of the problems I've read about (re: experiments that are difficult to wade through, and not getting the right reactions, etc.).

I'm always open to more suggestions.

Thanks!

Patty

BUMP!

Okay, I was able to have a chat with dh, and he's leaning towards Conceptual Chemistry. Phew...Okay, so what will I need to purchase other than the textbook?

For those of you who use CC, what do you use for the lab portion? I read somewhere that the lab portion that goes with this assumes you'd have access to standard lab. What can I use instead?

TIA!

Patty (still feeling overwhelmed over this whole transition into high school...sigh)

Sorry I missed this. We loved Conceptual Chemistry.

Get the third edition (unless there is a newer one) so that the Chem Alive! CD-Rom lectures are included with the text (if you get it new, then the licence will be new and valid.) The lectures were dd's favourite part of the course.

I bought the Instructor's Manual, which showed several ways to do the class and had all of the answers to the text questions in it.

There is a lab manual, but much of that equipment was beyond our budget (it's not designed for homeschoolers) so we did MicroChem labs. Do a lab, because most places require lab courses with science, even for non-science people.

fwiw, my dd is science oriented and it was still great. She'll do a mathy advanced chem later, but this will also work for my non-sciency middle dd.

Thanks! How did you like the MicroChem for lab? Did you find that you were able to get the correct results the first time through? I know that they supply enough for each experiment to be be done at least a few times...

Patty

Thanks! How did you like the MicroChem for lab? Did you find that you were able to get the correct results the first time through? I know that they supply enough for each experiment to be be done at least a few times...

Patty

Our results worked well. There were three teens involved, my dd and two others. I do plan to do them more times with my other two dc. Hopefully they work. I should add that we didn't try to duplicate our results. MicroChem is too tame for some (no possibility of explosions or fires if you're not careful,) but since we were doing it in our kitchen, that was great for us.

A little different take. Ds took chem at an "academy for home schoolers" for lack of a better name. They used Apologia there. But my main purpose was to have ds write lab reports for someone other than dh or me. Chem seemed like the subject to accomplish that.

Mary

Great! I know that my dh would like something more complex and with BIG reactions, but he's not doing the teaching. I'd like something straightforward, particularly as this is for a child who doesn't intend to be a science major.

Thanks!

Patty

I was searching around trying to decide which edition to buy (sometimes the older editions are less politically corrected, but often contain typos, and its hard to tell if these are important issues or not, in different subjects) but when you shop for this book, be aware that the DVD-rom that is included with the 3rd edition, may not be compatible with Vista, so the author, Professor Suchocki, has kindly made a special 3rd edition sequence reference, on his website, since his website (which contains all the videos, plus lots more) is being designed for the 4th edition. I do not know what other differences between the 3rd and 4th editions exist, but others and I have written on the boards several times about his website, and his videos, and the 4th edition is $90+ right now, but the 3rd edition is in the upper $20 range....

The third edition is dated 2006/2007 so is not terribly old....but again, I do not know what differences are in the 4th ed, dated 2010.....the 2006/2007 may have contained small updates from really old editions, for all I know. I have not called the publisher yet....if I do, I'll post it here.

LBS

I'm curious to learn more about Conceptual Chemistry. It really sounds ideal, in that it's intended for non-science majors, which is the case for us. I'm still confused about what I'd need...i.e. what materials I'd need to teach this, where to purchase said materials, and how to compensate for the lab portion which I've read is fairly expensive.

We are using Conceptual Chemistry. Frankly, on its own I don't consider it a full high school program. However, we have combined it with the Teaching Company chemistry lectures and the LabPaq chemistry labs and I think with those modifications it is fairly close to a standard high school chemistry course.