Menu

Finance course....anyone have their child

We are doing a course from the Treasury Dept. If you Google the site and go to the Financial Challenge they provide 31 lessons in their Educator's Toolkit. High school students age 14 and older are eligible to take a test by April 9th and they get an award if they score in the top 20%. HSLDA sent something out encouraging homeschoolers to take the class. Even if you don't want to do the test, the lessons are excellent and prepare them to understand paychecks, taxes, and benefits. I am pairing it with a workbook called Money Matters for Teens by Larry Burkett for a 1/2 credit. Later, we'll follow up with our adult Dave Ramsey materials.

I think I could count it, but since my girls are only 14 now, I will probably wait a couple of years until it is more relevant- when they have a job and are closer to being on their own and maybe do it the year we do economics and government. They are on the envelope system now and have lived through our Total Money Makeover, so we'll use that book instead of buying the more expensive student course.

I have been calling colleges and none have been picky about electives, so I think we can do whatever we want:001_smile:

I had my oldest use Dave Ramsey's Foundations in Personal Finance. We skipped the activities because they all seemed to be group-based. There was plenty left to make it worthy of a 1/2 credit course, especially since I had my dd work through a couple of finance books before I found the Dave Ramsey course.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

We're planning to use Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University, beefed up with some investment information. I'll likely make them plan out hypothetical future budgeting and long term planning, so they'll have a bit better idea what they might be walking into.

We're also likely to do some economics, and practical math.

The Council for Economic Education, http://www.councilforeconed.org/,

has a number of programs that cover both economics and finance, at a variety of levels. I used their American History program last year in conjunction with our American History study, and it was a fabulous resource. I am looking forward to using more of their products in the future.

Terri