Menu

Looking for a course that does Literature study from the Bible

Ah, the coffee is always good.:D Since you have not yet received any answers, I will try this again with the caveat that I am coming from a secular perspective.

My suggestion is for you to consider separating out the two concepts: the Bible as inherent truth and the Bible as literature. This is a practical proposal as opposed to a disrespectful one...I hope. I think it will be easier for you in high school to pursue the Bible as inherent truth in your Bible studies. If you wish to look at the Bible from a literary perspective then you could use something like The Bible and its Influence. It is used in the public schools and has an impressive list of contributors that cover a broad spectrum of theological and educational interests as it is part of a Bible Literacy project.

You are really talking about two different goals. To my understanding,TOG does integrate the two ideas. I would love for someone who has used it a the high school level to jump in here. My perspective is that sometimes you muddy the waters in combining the two. Some works have Biblical allusions that do not support the Bible as truth. Sometimes works are forced into portraying a particular religious viewpoint that was not part of the author's intent. On the other hand, without Biblical literacy we can often miss a writer's spiritual message.

Unless you child will be attending a Christian college, they will need the ability to discern between the two concepts in literature classes. If this is a hopeless muddle, my apologies. It is just one way of many to approach the situation. My best wishes to you in finding what you are looking for.

Thank you both for your suggestions. Lisa I had actually looked at the book you suggested as a possibility. I welcome secular suggestions as well since I really am ultimately trying to teach some literature while we study. Thanks for the suggestions!:001_smile:

Thank you both for your suggestions. Lisa I had actually looked at the book you suggested as a possibility. I welcome secular suggestions as well since I really am ultimately trying to teach some literature while we study. Thanks for the suggestions!:001_smile:

I have the book home from the library and have enjoyed reading it. A friend of my daughter's was over and mentioned that he had taken a Bible Literacy course as a junior last year and felt that it was very valuable. He used the same book. The students wrote 25 one-paragraph papers that covered Biblical allusions in a wide variety of works including classical literature and contemporary music. That would make a straight-forward class.

Now if you have nothing better to do this summer, you could check out a book by BYU professor, Roger G. Baker, called The Bible as Literature: Out of the Best Book. Baker has taught a college class by the same name for over 25 years. He covers topics such as:

Bible as Sacred Literature

Bible as part of our culture

Bible and Myth

Literal Bible Reading

Translations

Intro to Biblical Poetry

Symbols in Biblical Literature

Characterization (featuring Chiam Potok and Robert Alter)

Women and the Bible

Reading for Interpretation

Who Wrote the Bible

Ducking tomatoes, I have to admit, I rather enjoyed a chapter by Steve Walker entitled "Outflanking the Patriarchy in Genesis." There is a premise that "the most notable narrative characteristic of women is that they initiate the narrative action." (for better or worse)

Some examples include Sarah,

"You see what she's doing? Can you believe this Sarah, this woman they wanted to pose as a model of wifely passivity? She's arguing, arguing with the angel. I'm surprised the angel gets the last word. You'll notice Abraham, knowing her better than the angel does, stays out of the quarrel altogether."

The book is quirky and will definitely not be everyone's theological cup of coffee but I found an appealing freshness in certain aspects of it. I should add that other parts are as dry as toast and give me a headache.

Edited by swimmermom3

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for either, but I've just bought Student of the Word for that very purpose. I see potential from what I've read. I haven't decided if it has enough to do this thoroughly for a hs level.

I am not sure what I am looking for either I just had this thought that Literature analysis could really be taught directly from the Bible and so I am hunting. I did find this http://www.bibleinschools.net/The-Curriculum They have a sample unit. I called and asked about it. They are sold I guess only by the publisher and I called and asked a few questions. It sounds interesting. It uses the Text and a CD to the teachers and the student's text is actually the Bible. I was thinking it could maybe go really well with the Literary Study Bible I stumbled upon today and maybe some of these other sources recommended on this thread. Anyway in case anyone else is looking as well that is another option.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions I really appreciate you taking the time!:) I am going to look at everything and maybe that will help me decide what I am really looking for ultimately.

I am not sure what I am looking for either I just had this thought that Literature analysis could really be taught directly from the Bible and so I am hunting. I did find this http://www.bibleinschools.net/The-Curriculum They have a sample unit. I called and asked about it. They are sold I guess only by the publisher and I called and asked a few questions. It sounds interesting. It uses the Text and a CD to the teachers and the student's text is actually the Bible. I was thinking it could maybe go really well with the Literary Study Bible I stumbled upon today and maybe some of these other sources recommended on this thread. Anyway in case anyone else is looking as well that is another option.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions I really appreciate you taking the time!:) I am going to look at everything and maybe that will help me decide what I am really looking for ultimately.

Thank you for the link. This is not a resource I had seen before. Once I have looked through the sample unit, I'll have to satisfy my curiosity regarding the links and The Bible and Its Influence.

Thank you for the link. This is not a resource I had seen before. Once I have looked through the sample unit, I'll have to satisfy my curiosity regarding the links and The Bible and Its Influence.

There is this review that compares the two programs. I am not sure if it will be helpful for you or not but thought I would post it in case there is something in there that might be interesting. It does come from the strong conservative Christian view but it is thorough so maybe it will be of help. http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v2/n3/bible-in-public-schools

Not a course, but this book might have a little of what you're looking for:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=1393654911&searchurl=an%3Dmoulton%26bi%3D0%26bx%3Doff%26ds%3D30%26recentlyadded%3Dall%26sortby%3D17%26sts%3Dt%26tn%3Dthe%2Bmodern%2Breader%2527s%2Bbible%26x%3D0%26y%3D0

It has the text of the Bible and takes each genre of literature to categorize each of the 66 books. I found it fascinating.

If you buy it, make sure you're getting the entire Bible - almost 2,000 pages - because he also did separate books of the Bible in smaller volumes.

HTH

Kathy

Edited by ksva

I wanted to just report back. I got the Bible In History In and Literature and I am really impressed. http://www.bibleinschools.net/The-Curriculum It is a lot more than I expected to be. It is sold for 11th/12th grade. I think if your children have extensive Bible knowledge it could be used more slowly and sooner. That is my plan. It's not really like anything I have seen. There is literary analysis straight from the Bible throughout. There is history on the actual Bible, The Bible as it relates to history and information on customs as it helps to interpret the actual Bible text, writing assignments related to what is studied and actually illustrating literature elements using the Bible. Not to mention tons of references for further study on each section. I have spent hours just going through it and taking it all in.

I think this is something that would work for any denomination as well as secular homeschoolers that would like to study the Bible in terms of history and literature. I purchased the ESV literary Bible as well to use with this program. I think they will be the perfect match together. There is a lot to this program. It could be one or two years depending on how much you explore some of the references given. We are going to go the two year rout I think because there is just a lot there of value. If you want to order this I would suggest calling your order in from the website and letting them know you are a homeschooler.

Hope this helps someone else who might have been looking to fill the same nitch!:001_smile: