Menu

I need a Plan B for Music Appreciation

I've already put this course on my son's transcript, so I'm not sure what to do.

Here's the scoop. He started with Oak Meadow's syllabus and the Kamien text about a month ago, and seemed to be stalling out. It was pretty clear from our first conversation, looking through the text, that the early chapters were going to be review, but I thought, what's the harm in that? So when I realized this week that he wasn't moving ahead, I had him take the online quizzes that are available through the website. I asked him to take all the quizzes until he got to one that covered new material. I thought we'd just pick up where the material stopped being review. He took every test, and scored 100% on all of them, the whole book.

I guess I did not realize that music appreciation, the course itself, is so basic, and intended for people with no music exposure. I suppose I was thinking it was more like music history, though I don't know where I got that idea. (Where's the smacking the forehead emoticon?)

My son has one quarter left at the community college where he's taking courses as a high school senior, through our Running Start program. He's only registered for two classes for spring quarter, and Music Appreciation was one course we were doing at home together (for the semester). I am thinking our choices are to give him a "Withdrawal" from M.A. and have him take another course at the CC or I could generate some paper writing assignments and concert attendance type reports for him to finish out the year. The downside of that second option is more work for me. The upside is that he would get practice writing, and he needs that, about a subject he's passionate about.

So my question is, what would the hive recommend? He already has oodles of fine arts courses and music on his transcript. Would a "W" on the transcript be a bad thing? He does not have any acceptances yet, and I believe it's time to send in the updated, mid-year reports. Actually, I'm probably late with that. Thoughts?

One other option might be to see if you library has one of the Teaching Company DVD lecture series on music appreciation that he could watch and take notes on. (Or, buy a set that are on sale.) Usually, there are 24 to 48 lectures, each lecture either 30 or 60 minutes, so that could be anywhere from 12 to 48 hours worth of class credit to go along with concerts and papers.

See the list of music lecture series with brief descriptions here: http://www.teach12.com/storex/coursesdetail.aspx?s=802&ps=904&sn=Music

One other option might be to see if you library has one of the Teaching Company DVD lecture series on music appreciation that he could watch and take notes on. (Or, buy a set that are on sale.) Usually, there are 24 to 48 lectures, each lecture either 30 or 60 minutes, so that could be anywhere from 12 to 48 hours worth of class credit to go along with concerts and papers.

See the list of music lecture series with brief descriptions here: http://www.teach12.com/storex/coursesdetail.aspx?s=802&ps=904&sn=Music

That's a good idea. We've watched many, but not all, of the "How to listen to and understand" lectures, just for fun. We like that guy. I suppose we could pick up lectures on a favorite composer or two or focus in on a particular period of music. I'll talk with my son and see what he thinks.

Also, it dawned on me that I could talk to his counselor at the CC, too, to see what she recommends.

That's a good idea. We've watched many, but not all, of the "How to listen to and understand" lectures, just for fun.

And, Nicole -- You know you can count those hours that you've already watched! All your hours/projects/readings/etc. for a credit do NOT have to come from the same semester or year -- you can earn a full credit class, spread out over 4 years of high school. :001_smile:

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

And, Nicole -- You know you can count those hours that you've already watched! All your hours/projects/readings/etc. for a credit do NOT have to come from the same semester or year -- you can earn a full credit class, spread out over 4 years of high school. :001_smile:

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Oh! Well! That sheds a different light on this dilemma!