Menu

Anyone have experience with Pottery Barn area rugs?

I'm looking at several large WOOL area rugs. I live in AK so my shopping options are limited and I'm looking at buying on-line. I just received 5 P.B. rug samples that I ordered (1 foot square pieces). They are beautiful, but pricey (which I'm fine with IF they are high quality). I'm tempted to buy, but I'm worried about QUALITY.

I have several wool area rugs that I purchased 15+ years ago from a high quality rug store. They've had no fading (even with direct sunlight on them), no shedding, they've been incredible rugs (just the wrong colors now). I paid about the same price as today's P.B. rugs.

I saw posts on a consumer site with complaints about "toxic rubber smell" coming from the latex backing on some P.B. rugs. Another complaint was shedding - but it didn't specify if the fiber was wool.

Anyone with P.B wool rugs - I'd love to hear from you!! THANK YOU! :)

Edited by Alaska Mom

We have a large PB rug in ds's bedroom. It seems to have held up well (about 5 years old), no funny smells, but he doesn't vacuum it often enough IMO.

I purchased a beautiful wool area rug off this site at an incredibly cheap price. It is under our main dining table in a large, high traffic area. It has held up beautifully - I'm very impressed with it. Any future rugs I purchase will probably come from there.

We used to have an 8x10 wool PB rug that I loved for quite a few years. The problem was the glue on the back, under the canvas backing, began to disinigrate. It eventually caused a fine powder to constantly come out of the bottom of it, to the point that the rug was unusable. We tried having it professionally cleaned, we took it outside and beat it, we vacuumed it until the cows came home, all to no avail. I don't know if it was just a fluke or if it's common with their rugs, but it made me swear off buying another from them. The rug never shed and the top held up beautifully. The colors stayed true and it was nice and thick. In the end though, I spent $1,000 for something I had to eventually throw away, long before it should've worn out.

I have a 5x8 PB wool rug in my family room, but I have only had it for 2 years. It has held up fine and is very plush and comfy. Unfortunately, it is usally covered with golden retriever fur, but that is probably not PB's fault.

I bought mine from an e-bay seller who, it appears, gets PB rugs from the company in India that manufactures them (the seller's name is Indian), before they get the PB labels. It is identical to the PB rug I found in my local PB store, just sans-PB labels, and was significantly less expensive, even with shipping. If you find a rug you want at a PB store, try searching for it by the PB name, and you can probably find him. Sellers of real (labeled) PB rugs on e-bay are not much cheaper than the store, but the pre-labeled rugs are a good value.

I live very near a PB store, and I frequently visit "my" rug there, so when I say my actual rug is identical to the one in the store, I mean it--right down to the backing.

Terri

We have two. One is in our dining room, which is rarely used. The other is in our family room, which is used A LOT. We've had it for about eight years and it looks like the day we bought it. The backing is canvas and is holding up just fine.

We have two PB tufted wool rugs: one is about 10 years old, and one's a year or so. There were no toxic smells, no problems, and the 10 year old one still looks bright and has the same colors it originally did, despite always having been used in rooms with lots of windows (and no curtains). They did shed. Initially a fair amount, then much less as they have been vacuumed.

We used to have an 8x10 wool PB rug that I loved for quite a few years. The problem was the glue on the back, under the canvas backing, began to disinigrate. It eventually caused a fine powder to constantly come out of the bottom of it, to the point that the rug was unusable. We tried having it professionally cleaned, we took it outside and beat it, we vacuumed it until the cows came home, all to no avail. I don't know if it was just a fluke or if it's common with their rugs, but it made me swear off buying another from them. The rug never shed and the top held up beautifully. The colors stayed true and it was nice and thick. In the end though, I spent $1,000 for something I had to eventually throw away, long before it should've worn out.

This happened with my PB rug, too. I thought I just had a really dusty house (3 dogs.) I sold it a couple of weeks ago on Craigslist...it had a tiny bit of fading after 3 years of use.

• 1 year later...
I'm looking at several large WOOL area rugs. I live in AK so my shopping options are limited and I'm looking at buying on-line. I just received 5 P.B. rug samples that I ordered (1 foot square pieces). They are beautiful, but pricey (which I'm fine with IF they are high quality). I'm tempted to buy, but I'm worried about QUALITY.

I have several wool area rugs that I purchased 15+ years ago from a high quality rug store. They've had no fading (even with direct sunlight on them), no shedding, they've been incredible rugs (just the wrong colors now). I paid about the same price as today's P.B. rugs.

I saw posts on a consumer site with complaints about "toxic rubber smell" coming from the latex backing on some P.B. rugs. Another complaint was shedding - but it didn't specify if the fiber was wool.

Anyone with P.B wool rugs - I'd love to hear from you!! THANK YOU! :)

This is exactly what I was going to say has been our experience. Beautiful rugs, lovely quality, but a toxic rubber smell that comes and goes. We have had no problem with shedding.

Lisa

I have a 5x8 PB wool rug in my family room, but I have only had it for 2 years. It has held up fine and is very plush and comfy. Unfortunately, it is usally covered with golden retriever fur, but that is probably not PB's fault.

I bought mine from an e-bay seller who, it appears, gets PB rugs from the company in India that manufactures them (the seller's name is Indian), before they get the PB labels. It is identical to the PB rug I found in my local PB store, just sans-PB labels, and was significantly less expensive, even with shipping. If you find a rug you want at a PB store, try searching for it by the PB name, and you can probably find him. Sellers of real (labeled) PB rugs on e-bay are not much cheaper than the store, but the pre-labeled rugs are a good value.

I live very near a PB store, and I frequently visit "my" rug there, so when I say my actual rug is identical to the one in the store, I mean it--right down to the backing.

Terri

What's the seller's name? :bigear:

• 10 years later...