Menu

Can you direct me to threads about Algebra?

I am researching upper level math for my ds, who'll be doing Algebra 1 next year in 8th. He's currently in MUS Pre-Algebra, but he's a strong math student and ready for a change. He will probably go through Calculus in high school, but he's more of a history/ literature type guy long-term. I've looked at Chalkdust and Jacobs, both of which look pretty good, and Teaching Textbooks, which we don't care for. With everything else we'll have going on next year, I need him to be pretty independent. I can help, as can dh, who's an engineer. Any thoughts on these or other texts like Lial's or old Dolciani? Thanks for any thoughts or links you can share. Lillian

There must be thousands of threads on Algebra! I'd recommend searching on Algebra and restricting your search to the high school board. You can also search for particular authors/programs such as Lial, Dolciani, Videotext, etc. (Use only one word in your search since searching with multiple words doesn't accomplish much.) Alternatively, I'd recommend reading the last few weeks of posts, and you'll see many threads on math and Algebra.

For the record, my now college freshman used Lial's Beginning Algebra, Jacobs' Geometry, and Lial's Intermediate Algebra before taking additional math at the local community college for PreCalculus. This progression worked well for her.

Regards,

Kareni

Edited by Kareni