Menu

cw for older beginners

Lenora in MD

My dd will be in 7th grade next year, and I am thinking of using cw for older beginners for her. In the past, she has used fll 1&2, r&s 3&4, and Queen's language lessons this year (to give her and me a break, because we hate grammar!). She has done some writing strands, but it is not really working for her. So, I am trying to find something new for next year. If I use cw for older beginners, do I also need to use a separate grammar program? Or is grammar covered?

Thanks!

I have wanted to use it for years but never broke down and did it. We have struggled with it at points this year...one time I thought we'd just quit altogether. I have, at those points, stopped, prayed and started back the next day. I am happy that we did and have stuck with it. I think it is a great program, BUT I do enjoy grammar (I missed MUCH in ps but love it still). I think my dd is mixed on it. Sometimes she enjoys it and sees her progress; other times it is very difficult. We work through it, though.

I do believe, at 7th grade, CW does need a grammar program. There is grammar in it; all of the parsing, diagramming, and other work that we do in the book is really meaty, but I still use R&S with her. Hope that helps.

and most CW users use either Rod & Staff or Harvey's Elem. Grammar. CW sells a Harveys workbook, and the lessons are scheduled out for you in their Instructor's Guides.

If you use R&S, which is what I do, you can just work through the book, skipping all writing lessons/chapters, or you can work on the skills suggested in the CW manual. For example, the Grammar assignment in the I.G. may be a chapter on "Sentence Making" in Harvey's. You could work instead on the Rod & Staff chapter on "Sentence Construction."

You'll be able to skip some exercises in R&S. I only schedule grammar one time per week, for 20-30 minutes when I'm doing a CW lesson. If we take a week off of CW, then we do more grammar. This has worked very well for us.

HTH,

I just wanted to encourage you to continue with your R&S and CW work. I've had thoughts of quitting too, but that's usually because I don't know what I'm doing sometimes. This past week I outlined the Homer core, based on a suggestion by Siloam, and it really has given me a better understanding of the program. Instead of viewing the program by days, I outlined it based on skill level. Now I can see all of the goals we are trying to accomplish with each week's model.

Just as a testimony, my oldest son took the Explore test (an 8th grade college readiness test administered by the ACT) this past January as a 6th grader. His strength is math, so I was astonished to see that his English score (23) was better than 98% of the 8th graders taking the test. The English portion covered Usage/Mechanics—punctuation, grammar & usage, and sentence structure and Rhetorical Skill—understanding the use of strategy, organization, and style in writing. I firmly believe that the high score he received in this area is due to our continued use of Rod & Staff grammar along with Classical Writing. It’s a lot of work, but well worth the effort in my opinion.