Menu

Math mammoth - Blue Series, or Light Blue??

diaperjoys

I am still trying to decide and it is driving me crazy! Emily just finished Abeka Arithmetic 1, and could still use some remediating in place value, understanding things from different angles, (She usually can't get the enrichment/thinking box questions.) and telling time. She should be starting 3rd grade math in the fall! We are so far behind at this point.

So I am thinking that maybe the blue series will be better for this situation. WDYT?

I am still trying to decide and it is driving me crazy! Emily just finished Abeka Arithmetic 1, and could still use some remediating in place value, understanding things from different angles, (She usually can't get the enrichment/thinking box questions.) and telling time. She should be starting 3rd grade math in the fall! We are so far behind at this point.

So I am thinking that maybe the blue series will be better for this situation. WDYT?

If I were in your situation, I would buy the Light Blue series set. I would have your DD take the placement tests on the website to see if she clearly places into a particular level, or if she's close to passing into a higher level but just needs remediation in a few areas. If it's the latter, I'd pull the relevant pages from the lower levels and have her work those, then start at the next level.

Alternatively, you could just back her up a year and move through the material she already knows more quickly. This is pretty easy to do with MM, because in the lower levels, you really only need to do 1-1.5 pages/day to finish 2 books (A & B) in a year. That's usually about half a lesson. If you do a whole lesson per day, you can get through 3 books/year, maybe more if you just do odd problems in areas the child already knows and understands well. In other words, you can cover 3 grades in 2 years and get caught up, even if you drop back a whole grade.

I backed up both of my kids and started them a grade lower when I switched to MM. DS did 4A through 5B in about 18 months, and DD has done all of the 1st grade books and over 1/2 of the second grade books in the Blue Series in the last 9 months; she'll be in the 3rd grade work within a few months.

Having used both the Light Blue series and the Blue, I just find the Light Blue much easier to use. And since you have 2 kids who can use the program, I would just get the Light Blue. I bought the Blue set for grades 1-3 because it was cheaper than the 3 grades of Light Blue, but in hindsight I really wish I'd just bought the whole Light Blue set. The Light Blue curriculum also includes tests & cumulative reviews, which I find helpful.

Jackie

Okay, I am definitely getting the whole light blue series.

I am printing my MM worksheets 3 days at a time, hole punching and then putting into a pocket folder that has the binder thing in the middle. I hate binders. This is working well and doesn't tear up the paper like binders. Emily was impressed. She showed it off to her dad. "Look what Mommy did." I was so proud of myself. lol

DS5 is doing 3rd grade math but DD4 is doing K so I will want it all since she will use it too. My problem is it seems the Blue series would be better for ds and the lt. blue would be better for dd :(

Can he write fairly small?

The space for a student to write is quite small for a 5 yo. I'd print a few samples (like from currclick.com or from the MM website) and try them out before spending a dime for a student that young. If he can write small, great, but it's something you might end up wishing you had known in advance.

If you look at the Math Mammoth website and look at the samples of light blue, the difference will be clear pretty quickly. 1-A contents and samples

1-B contents and samples

Carmen:

Thanks! I probably have the light blue, but I'm going to check.

So you see I finally made the math decision (and took your advice about MM). Good luck to you!

I probably have the light blue, but I'm going to check.

If it says "Addition and Subtraction" (or any other topic), then it's probably a Blue book. The Light Blue books are a complete grade-leveled curriculum and their titles are just numbers, e.g. Math Mammoth 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, etc.

Jackie