Menu

Woot!!! Celebrate! DS was invited to Drexel's STAR program!!

Sharon in MD

:party:

We are celebrating here because we have received news that our ds will be a STAR Scholar at Drexel. He is a freshman there this year and applied to the program in Feb. He was accepted this past weekend.

So, why is this great?..well, what it means is that he will be able to stay at the university this summer for 10 weeks working on a real research project for his mentor-professor. They will provide housing and a generous stipend, far more than he could earn in part-time work at home. And, because Drexel is a Co-op school, this will really help with developing his resume for finding a good Co-op position next spring (2011).

He is planning to major in Materials Science Engineering with a minor in Nuclear Engineering. The program he will work on this summer is directly related to both. I'm so happy for him. This is a huge answer to prayer and we are very proud of him. He is really happy there and it has, thus far, been the perfect fit.

On a separate note, he has found a great church home that he loves as well. God has richley blessed us and we are truly thankful!

Thanks for sharing our joy...

We went out of town for my mom's 80th Birthday and I haven't had a chance to reply.

Thank you, one and all, so very much! It is such a joy to share with you because I know you identify at a deep level with the elation and confirmation we feel.

It is such a relief to watch the ship you worked so hard on set sail and prove itself seaworthy. The storms will come, I'm sure, but I think he's ready to weather them with God's grace.

Hugs to all :grouphug:

Congratulation, Sharon! How magnificent for your son! Will you get to see him at all over the summer? Can you tell us a bit about his research? It sounds really cool!

Blessings,

April

We will help him with the move from one dorm to the other in early June and we plan to visit for the 4th of July as well. He can come home for a weekend as well as it is only about 1.5 hours by train. He will about 2.5 weeks also from the end of the program to the beginning of the next term. So all in all, about a week break from the end of the spring term to the beginning of summer and about 2.5 weeks from the end of the program to the beginning of the fall term.

As to the research, he will be working on MAX Phases. A Max Phase is a relatively new material. It is a combination of a metal and a ceramic, created under intense heat and pressure. The new material retains many of the qualities of both...the heat resistance of ceramics, but not so brittle. The malleability of metals...and mill-able too. He will mix, make, do quality control, analyze and test materials. Makes me want to go back to school!

Thanks for asking!

Now he just has to survive finals this next week! ;)