Menu

If you create a course for an elective-- what do you require

Ds is wanting to take Mythology next year. I have been searching for a curriculum or something that has already a prepared text, test, worksheets or something. Since I have not come up with anything, I am thinking about just having him write a few papers...not sure how many though.

I thought about World Mythology, but ds says he thinks he only wants to do Greek Mythology:confused:.

The book list that I have found on here covers World Mythology--which I think would be better. So we will discuss this a bit more over the next few months.

What would you have your dc do, since there is no pre-made curriculum out there?

I was planning on ds take a few of the Mythology National Exams.

I also found a couple of quizzies on SparkNotes---could I include those??

Also how do you determine how much credit to give per course? I know the hour thing, but the book list that I have found and the books that we have found on our own will add up to over the 120-180hrs.

Edited by Gamom3

It really depends on the course. I keep making up courses. My son, who graduated in 2005, ended up doing a course on science fiction and fantasy literature. He read lots by himself and I added some books I thought he should read. He wrote short summaries of each book. To this day, he can discuss these books at great length. He got an A.

My sond daughter has mostly done electives with someone else but she is doing at least one with me. That is Music History. SHe listens to lectures, goes to concerts, and sings music from many eras of history. She hasn't finished and I haven't assigned any other assignments yet other than those.

When I create a course I require some kind of written assignment each month, whether summaries of readings, context pages or an essay. I also require some bigger final project -- an extra good essay or a research project or something multi-media. Spark notes quizzes are always handy to use in addition to the writing.

With mythology, well, you've got lots of very fun possiblities!! Movies to watch and compare, art work to study all of which could be used for projects. There's even a current events component to it all with Italy and Greece fighting to get some of their antiquities returned.

Sounds like fun and sounds like it could be a semester or a year long course, depending on his how long his interest lasts.