Menu

Great Courses selection question

We have a catalogue, and some courses I've always wanted to get are about 70 percent off right now. I'm going to use some of the activity money from my parents, but I can't buy everything I'd like to buy right now. Could anyone give input on any or all of the following things I'm thinking about?

Change and Motion: Calculus Made Clear, 2nd edition (of course, Calculus isn't until Senior year & dd is a freshman this year.)

Einstein's Relativity and the Quantum Revolution: Modern Physics for Non-Scientists, 2nd edition (dd will be doing Conceptual Physics next year, and with Conceptual Chemistry, the lectures were her favourite part. Of course, the author/lecturer used humour.)

Understanding the Fundamentals of Music (dd is going to do an elective on music history, appreciation & rudiments of theory next year, but the one on listening to music costs more than twice as much and I can get music from the library.)

Argumentation: The Study of Effective Reasoning, 2nd edition (since learning Rhetoric from a book and just me isn't helping her, and I haven't found anyone else to do this with yet.)

I'd advise against buying courses too far in advance of when you'll use them (e.g. the Calculus course). I made this mistake with Alg I and HS Chemistry, and they came out with new editions of the courses before I even used them. I need to send them back and reorder the new courses. :(

Every course goes on sale every year, so you can always just buy a course the year before you need it. Once you're on their email list, they also have MANY brief special sales (e.g. the 100 most popular courses on sale for 2 days only, or all audio downloads on sale for $25, etc) so most courses will actually be on sale multiple times throughout the year.

Regarding the Einstein/Quantum course, there is very little of that in the Conceptual Physics book (3 out of 40 chapters). Two other courses that might be more relevant would be Physics in Your Life and The Physics of History. I'm planning to use these with Conceptual Physical Science.

I have the Fundamentals of Music course, but we've had so many disruptions and family emergencies this year that we haven't gotten to it yet. But I chose that one over the other music course for the same reasons you did.

Jackie

I'd advise against buying courses too far in advance of when you'll use them (e.g. the Calculus course). I made this mistake with Alg I and HS Chemistry, and they came out with new editions of the courses before I even used them. I need to send them back and reorder the new courses. :(

Every course goes on sale every year, so you can always just buy a course the year before you need it. Once you're on their email list, they also have MANY brief special sales (e.g. the 100 most popular courses on sale for 2 days only, or all audio downloads on sale for $25, etc) so most courses will actually be on sale multiple times throughout the year.

Regarding the Einstein/Quantum course, there is very little of that in the Conceptual Physics book (3 out of 40 chapters). Two other courses that might be more relevant would be Physics in Your Life and The Physics of History. I'm planning to use these with Conceptual Physical Science.

I have the Fundamentals of Music course, but we've had so many disruptions and family emergencies this year that we haven't gotten to it yet. But I chose that one over the other music course for the same reasons you did.

Jackie

Thanks! I'll wait on the Calculus one, as I thought I probably should, and I'll wait for a better Physics chourse. So, I think I'll get the Fundamentals of Music & the rheotoric one (Argumentation.) They charge a flat rate for shipping, so it's a bit cheaper to order more at once, but there's no point in ordering things that we don't need or that they might update. I'm tempted to get the History of the US since she'll be taking that, but it's still $129.95 after $620 off. Does anyone actually buy the courses at full price?????