Menu

New Cyber Navy ROTC Scholarships

The Navy is establishing five annual four-year college Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps (NROTC) scholarships for U.S. high school and college students who demonstrate advanced cyber security skills.

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=51745

Not only is this a new targeted scholarship, but the Cyber Challenge itself might be of interest to some students.

ROTC scholarships are used to pay tuition at civilian schools. Students awarded these specific scholarships would use them at schools that are centers of excellence in cyber education.

hope it is appropriate to post here.

What are the physical requirements for ROTC? My oldest severely broke both bones in his forearm 2 years ago requiring long plates and lots of screws. (not to mention about a year to recover! ugh Who said soccer isn't a contact sport?) Well, we have always assumed that it would keep him from ROTC training though he is an avid runner and very fit. What do you think?

Susie

Generally, they recommend applying and going through the physical exam, even ifyouthink you will be disqualified. Medical waivers take a lot into account, including how well it has healed, as well as the needs of the service.

I know someone applying to West Point this year, who got a waiver in spite of some hardware in his knee.

Generally, they recommend applying and going through the physical exam, even ifyouthink you will be disqualified. Medical waivers take a lot into account, including how well it has healed, as well as the needs of the service.

I know someone applying to West Point this year, who got a waiver in spite of some hardware in his knee.

Thanks for the input. I have just waved it off the possibility since the injury ... and my dad, retired military, thought it would disqualify him.

hope it is appropriate to post here.

What are the physical requirements for ROTC? My oldest severely broke both bones in his forearm 2 years ago requiring long plates and lots of screws. (not to mention about a year to recover! ugh Who said soccer isn't a contact sport?) Well, we have always assumed that it would keep him from ROTC training though he is an avid runner and very fit. What do you think?

Susie

The things that are disqualifying are not only in constant flux as medical techniques progress, but also depend on the service. Just for example, a certain level of color blindness might be disqualifying for the Naval Academy but not be a problem for Army ROTC.

There is one medical exam, administered by DODMERB. Depending where you live you will either be scheduled at a military facility or with a civilian doctor. The exam will evaluate the medical condition of the candidate. But each service sets its own standards for what is disqualifying and has control over the waiver process.

You can't know unless you try.

ps. Admissions liaisons aren't supposed to make judgements about what would be disqualifying. That is supposed to remain a topic for medical staff. So if someone tells you that something would be definitely disqualifying or no problem, take it with a grain of salt.

Oh my goodness! I just love this forum---I learn so many things here!

Please translate this information for me!

- I read about the Cyber Challenge but I still don't understand it! Sebastian- do you think it would work as an activity for a unit of Sea Cadets? I was thinking it would be a nice way for the group to work together, if I could figure out exactly what they do. The Sea Cadets meet once a month--would this be adequate to prepare the kids?

Thanks again. I found about Sea Cadets here on this forum and it has been a wonderful experience for my daughter---keep up the good work!

The Navy is establishing five annual four-year college Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps (NROTC) scholarships for U.S. high school and college students who demonstrate advanced cyber security skills.

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=51745

Not only is this a new targeted scholarship, but the Cyber Challenge itself might be of interest to some students.

ROTC scholarships are used to pay tuition at civilian schools. Students awarded these specific scholarships would use them at schools that are centers of excellence in cyber education.

This is fascinating. My ds is very interested in computer science and programming. Thank you for posting it!

Tuition--are there upper limits on what they'll pay? What if you go to an expensive private college?

A ROTC scholarship is applied to a civilian school that has a ROTC unit from that service or is a crosstown affiliate (example, students at Harvard are actually part of the MIT ROTC unit).

From the NROTC website:

Four-Year Scholarship:

•Full tuition at one of the listed colleges or universities

•All colleges/university educational fees

•Stipend for text books

•Provide all uniforms

•Three summer cruises

•Subsistence allowance each academic month

Year Current

Freshmen - $250

Sophomore - $300

Junior - $350

Senior - $400

What the scholarship pays depends on what the tuition at the school is. So the scholarship monetary value for a student attending MIT is higher than for a student attending Jacksonville University (although as the joke goes, at the end, they are both called Sir).

Some schools have one ROTC unit, some have a couple different services, some have no ROTC option at all. Schools list (NB Washington State University is listed under Idaho, because it is a crosstown affilitate with University of Idaho).

Because the cyber scholarships are targeted toward students who will follow career paths in cyber related specialties, there may be restrictions on which schools provide related undergraduate education. The cyber related scholarship is a new program and I don't know all the details yet.

Hope this helps.