Menu

Bento... where has this been all my life?

Any other Mac folks out there using this software gem?

I've forgotten how much I love database software. I used to use them all the time when my world was a PC world. When I moved into Mac, they dropped off my radar.

But I've found them and I'm psyched. My world is starting to come together. LOVE the link function that allows me to link (and quickview) files (audio and text documents) to line items within the database.

Is anyone else using Bento to organize your brain? If so, I would love to hear what you are using it for - especially regarding school stuff. :bigear:

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

It's an easy-peasy version of File Maker Pro that self-connects to iCal and Mail (I think - haven't played with that feature yet). And it's pretty easy to use. I had a huge spreadsheet of materials that connect to TOG on a week-by-week basis: Teaching Company lectures; library materials; DVD's; etc. The spreadsheet was getting pretty difficult to manage. Then I found Bento. I can make as many fields as I want for each week plan, but then I can create forms that only display certain fields. And all of our documents are there in a quicklook format, or I can click to open the documents to make changes to them. Save and done - no digging around for files. All in one place. Sitting with the kids and planning their week is a snap. Then I just print the lesson plans that we have agreed on.

The ability to link files and create tables (of say - library books or materials that I have stumbled across) is terrific. I can link to almost anything by dragging it in a dropping it. Tons of options. But the beauty of a database over a spreadsheet is that depending on the form I am viewing, I don't have to look at the columns that I don't want. (Don't know the lingo; I'm a hack; I've only used database software - never designed any - I'm strictly a user. BUT I love the way this works.)

I've tried other lesson planning software but it don't organize my resources in a way that made sense to me. This does. Loving it!

I would love to know if anyone else is using it. What are you doing with it?

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

WOW sounds exactly like what I want. I was thinking of doing an Excel spreadsheet but I thought it would be cumbersome w/ the info I'd want to include.

now how do you use it as a planner? I think I'm going to have to download the free trial.

I used to design databases in dBase IV and in fact my old lab still uses the database I designed about 15yrs ago.

Capt_Uhura

• 1 month later...