Menu

Trying to make a math plan-Saxon??

My son will be in 6th grade this fall and is ready for pre-algebra. I'm coming to this board because I'd like some input on your thoughts of the upper levels of Saxon. I'd like to find a math curriculum that will work, and then stick with it. I don't like the idea of switching curriculum every few years to try something else out. I know people who love Saxon (upper levels only) and the DIVE CD's, yet I read on the K-8 board, and a lot of people dislike it. I tried Saxon when my kids were little and it was awful, but I know that it's not the same as the upper levels. Ds has just finished Singapore 6, but I feel he needs more review. He also needs practice, practice, practice because he's sloppy and careless.

I have the psuedo Chalkdust program that I piece-mealed through amazon and I like the looks of it, but the DVD's drive me crazy. Ds likes stuff on the computer and would rather be taught off the CD's than have to read it himself :001_huh:

Please give me your thoughts on Saxon as a long term math program through HS.

Thanks!

Dd started using Saxon 6/5 and is now in Algebra II. She likes it and does well with it. Like you, I didn't want to jump around with math curriculum as it's too easy to miss something that way, I wanted something she could do on her own, and a program that included Calculus in its offerings. I started second guessing what we are doing/have done in sticking with Saxon based on some things I've read on this board and another, but I come back to that this has worked well for her. Repetition is so important for truly grasping math concepts and this is wonderful in that respect. I wish they delved more into the why's of the concepts of math, but dd doesn't really want to know why. :lol: She just wants to know how and then do it. :tongue_smilie:

I'm also reminded that this is the program used by the Calif math teacher in "Stand and Deliver." I like their solutions manual as well. We had done HM geometry, and their "solutions manual" was little more than an answer key for most problems. Saxon takes most things step by step - some basic steps are skipped as the math progresses. Anyway, I guess you could say I'm no longer searching for an alternative - it works for us. :001_smile:

All I know is that I have graduated two who have gone on to college. One has since graduated from college with an EE degree and a 3.9 GPA. The next is a junior in Information Systems and currently has a 4.0 GPA. Saxon has done well for both.

Linda

I just wanted to add in that my son (7th grade) is justing finishing the Algebra I book. We have used Saxon all the way through so far, and I am very pleased with it. The upper programs are set up differently, which may work better for you now. We have been using Saxon Teacher which has EVERY PROBLEM in the book explained on a computer CD, which is very nice for a busy mom! My ds consistently tests in the 99th percentile on standardized tests, so I know he learning something :)

If your son needs lots of practice the day the concept is taught then Saxon probably isn't for you. After teaching the lesson there are usually 2-3 practice problems meant to be done with the teacher. Then there are 2-4 problems spread out through the homework. Then there will be 1-3 problems in each of the next lessons, maybe 10, and then spread out to a lesser degree the rest of the year.

Cindy

I hope Saxon works for you! (Or, for that matter, any one program) I like the idea of doing one program all the way through too! I had it all figured out and written on a planner, each Saxon book they'd do, and when. HOWEVER, my kids had other ideas! For some reason, NONE of them liked Saxon! I was very surprised! None of the 3 of them got along with the way it is set up, for one or more reasons. I was disappointed, cuz I had it all planned out! But we found other programs which worked very well. DH and I tried to make sure the gaps were covered. Our kids got 98-99% on their standardized tests, so it seemed to work for them!

I think it's great that you use one program, and it makes it much easier for you and the student if it does work out. HOWEVER, I'm saying this stuff just in case your child(ren) turn out like mine, and don't follow the plan exactly how you set it out. It happens, and it's okay. One reson I homeschool is to provide what my children need to work and learn well. So if I see it's NOT working, I will work with them and encourage them. If it's still not working we start looking for something else. My oldest is now in college and did so well in his 1 quarter calculus class that he didn't have to take the final! Just sayin'--be open to something else, JUST IN CASE....:001_smile:

Thanks Brindee,

I know that sometimes things don't work out, but I need to start somewhere! I know for sure that my younger son will not do well with Saxon. I'm trying to fit each individual child. I don't thing my younger ds will do well with it because he is a mathy kid and he gets pretty annoyed when he has to do things he already knows-he wants to keep plowing forward. Math is definitely his "thing". I also have the psuedo CD program waiting in the wings, and if Saxon doesn't work, I'll try CD. My son said he prefers doing lessons on the computer like the DIVE CD's .