Menu

Visiting Bryan College for "Illuminate"

anyone else? Dd (17) will be on campus the entire time and dh and I will have a couple of things to go to, but we'll have all the rest of the kiddoes with us. What would you recommend in the Chatanooga area?

Is anyone else interested in Bryan, have kids who are there or have been there, or other stories to tell?

Mine's not going to Bryan as they didn't have his major, but while in the Chattanooga area exploring Covenant College (the one he is going to), I heard nothing but positive remarks about Bryan. The two colleges sometimes get together on some events.

There is a lot to do in the Chattanooga area - most of which we'll be experiencing over the next 4 years! The main things that come to mind right now are Lookout Mountain (Ruby Falls, Rock City, etc) and the Aquarium. I know there are other things around too.

I attended Bryan in the early 80's. I loved it! The campus is beautiful, peaceful, and safe. I loved the school and my professors. :)

Ask someone at Bryan about Pocket Wilderness. It is very close to campus. We used to go there to *get away* and hike, climb rocks, wade in the mountain stream...a very nice area for picnics.

Fall Creek Falls state park is the other direction from Chattanooga, but also a beautiful place and the falls are gorgeous!

I lived in Chatty from jr. high until I married and I can tell you that the Riverwalk area and the Aquarium is a very enjoyable place to go. It wasn't there when I lived there. We were so surprised at what a great job Chattanooga has done fixing up that area. The Aquarium is AWESOME!

Lookout Mountain and Point Park are a favorite of mine. Brush up on your Civil War history and you will appreciate your time there even more. (And don't go up Lookout without peeking at Covenant! We always used to watch for *the castle in the clouds* coming and going around the mountain. :) Beautiful buildings! ) (Chickamauga Battlefield, at the foot of the mountain, over the line in GA is also a beautiful and interesting place) You might enjoy riding the Incline Railway up and down the mountain. Even if you choose not to ride, you should go in the station up on the mountain and view the huge pulley/counterweight system! (The descent of one car is what pulls the other up)

I have not been to Ruby Falls in years. I remember it was very interesting to go so deep down into the mountain and see the caves and such...but...it is NOT for claustrophobic people *at all*. If they have not cleaned up Rock City, unless your children are very young, you may be disappointed. The last time we went, they had *junked it up* with fairytale *scenes* which I think really took away from the natural beauty. :( There *are* interesting rock formations and such...and a balancing rock if I remember correctly...but you will have to decide if it's worth your money. There are just as many gorgeous rock formations and such to be found in the state parks I mentioned. (Ruby Falls may have done the same *scenery* thing...maybe if you look up online and find pics you can get an idea of it)

I don't know if the Chattanooga Choo-choo is still there. It used to be free to walk around and just look at the train and in the shops and such. There is a museum too. I don't know if they have improved upon it also but I think it was part of the big *downtown turnaround* vision.

I'll try to think of some other things and come back. The St. Elmo neighborhood at the foot of Lookout Mountain has some of the original victorian homes there. It used to be a very prestigious neighborhood. THen, it became the *hood*, then young families began buying and restoring and that has been the struggle for years...trying to *bring it back*. But there are some very pretty homes here and there in there.

My sister was recently there along the Riverwalk, maybe she can give some recommendations.

Edited by MSPolly

Well, this site: http://attractions.uptake.com/tennessee/chattanooga/cheap_vacations/204092116.html

gives Rock City five stars! So maybe it's better now! LOL! It used to be pretty cool.

Walnut Street Bridge would be neat to walk. When I was growing up, you could still drive on it and it was kind of freaky. Trucks going the *other* way would BOUNCE you! LOL! It's been closed for years. There are nice benches on the bridge now, to sit and watch the river.

Thanks Polly! I'm not the OP, but that info will be really useful as we delve into the Chattanooga area. We love state parks... so I really appreciate the Fall Creek Falls suggestion. Once we drop Junior off this fall I can sense a field trip!

Actually, I meant to mention *to you* that there is a nice state park on the west side of Lookout Mountain. Cloudland Canyon State Park. There are waterfalls and cabins/camping spots etc. THere used to be, and probably still is, a road up that side of the mountain to get to Covenant without having to go back out to the interstate.

Reservations would be necessary I'm sure. :)

http://www.gastateparks.org/CloudLand

Edited by MSPolly

Actually, I meant to mention *to you* that there is a nice state park on the west side of Lookout Mountain. Cloudland Canyon State Park. There are waterfalls and cabins/camping spots etc. THere used to be, and probably still is, a road up that side of the mountain to get to Covenant without having to go back out to the interstate.

Reservations would be necessary I'm sure. :)

http://www.gastateparks.org/CloudLand

That looks GREAT! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I've bookmarked it for now - will have to talk with hubby - we might just camp when dropping him off IF he doesn't think it would be too much of a problem. Their walk in camping looks to be just what we love for tent camping with privacy and all. If nothing else, we might stop there for a couple of days after dropping him off.

I guess I'm assuming there'll be room in our van or car top carrier for our camping stuff. That might be a really bad assumption... hmm.